• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Home Birth

Thank you WifeOfHis Youth!

Our son was a 36 hour labor, which was really hard! I thought it was bad but then I saw yours FollowingHim2- 3 and a half days! Ouch! He was 6 days early, so in the 39th week. He was 7lb 8oz, I believe.
Our daughter was an 8 hour labor, and I think I only had to push like 3 or 4 real hard times. So that was nice, so much shorter than our son. She was also in the 39th week, I think she was like 4 days early and 6lb 12oz. =)

FH2 I can totally empathize with that "tonne of fun!" (Snort and giggle) Our first was a long labor like that (Fri eve to 12:35 pm on tues) and it felt like one long never ending day. I was so tired I was nodding off in the five min between contractions, and then waking up when the next one hit talking about whatever nonsense I was dreaming about! Lol
He was 8. 2 and perfect. Five minutes after he was born I knew I wanted more children.
Thankfully the rest came quicker, but my shortest labor was still 4 1/2 hours.
Several of ours were 2 weeks past that EDD. The last girl was possibly over a month late. I may have skipped a cycle and not realized it, but there was practically no water with her, and the placenta delivered so fast I think she may have just been a slow grower, and needed more time. She weighed 7.8

My mom carried my baby sis six weeks over after miscarrying her twin (midwife confirmed it based on condition of placenta) and she only weighed 8.6 so it is possible.

This has sure been a fun thread. So neat reading about all these growing families.

@WifeOfHisYouth , I'm not sure when I'm "due". I think I'm probably around mid-May. I have the first actual appointment on Tuesday with the midwife in town. At the preliminary appointment she said she thought I was 15 weeks. I thought 10 (no period in between babies). So we shall see after the ultrasound, I guess. They had the due date wrong with my second to last. I knew I didn't conceive when they said I did. I ended up being 9 days late and they were wanting to induce at 10. So if they try to tell me I'm 5 weeks more than I am, I might have no other choice than to do an unassisted home birth! I wish I were brave enough to go completely without medical care. @Joleneakamama and @FollowingHim2, what is the extent of your prenatal care? I always feel like prenatal "care" is a waste of my time, lol. Wait for hours then, "Hi, how are you feeling? any problems? questions? no? okay, see you in a month."

I'll try to remember weights and stuff (I dunno how you do it, again, Super Sarah).
#1- 22 hours, 7lb 1oz
#2- 7.5 hours, 8lb 4oz
#3- 10 hours, 7lb 14?oz
#4- 8 hours?, 8lb 2??oz
#5- 2 hours?, 9lb
#6- 3 hours, 8lb 7oz

All are complete guesses except for first and last, lol. All were right on time, except #2 and #5 were late comers. #1-#3 were with epidurals, #2 was induced (never felt the first contraction with her). Also, I'm not sure when you consider your labor to start, with the very first contraction? with active labor? #5 was the only that my water broke prior. Maybe he was in the oven a little bit longer than the others since he was the biggest??

Yes, great thread! Probably my favorite subject. :D

Last edited:
oh, and @woman, I love learning how other countries birth. We (Americans) have been so duped for so long that we need doctors in order to deliver babies. It's tragic. To say the least. :(
And, congratulations, @RainyLondonFog! Yay for more babies!! (Don't let me get started on the overall disapproval and sometimes seeming disgust of society including Christians on growing families. I barely want to tell ppl I'm having another...)

Trying to figure out how to upload a baby high picture... How did you do it, FH2? Absolutely stunning picture of yours, btw!

Windblown, cultures can be so different! i was surprised to learn American woman usually got pain meds for normal birth. And to see that the baby high is something special in the US... Unbelievable to me!

I only had one, felt the contractions in my belly, leggs and back. It felt like one big contraction of 3 hours without breaks. Can't say that was fun but still, if there is going to be a second i hope i can do it the natural way again. There is something beautiful and powerfull about it!

All of my labour times were from established labour, except for #1. I had contractions anywhere from 5 mins to 40 mins apart for 3 days. I had my show, waters broke, the whole lot. But I only got to 2cm, and because my waters had been broken for nearly 24hrs they decided to induce me. From being induced it was about 7 hours and horrible because there was no break between contractions. I don't recommend that. I know all the problems I had with my labour not going right and how to counteract them so I didn't have any more problems after that.
I always feel like prenatal "care" is a waste of my time, lol. Wait for hours then, "Hi, how are you feeling? any problems? questions? no? okay, see you in a month."
I needed it with #1 and #2, but after that it seems rather pointless except to explain how I want the labour to go (hands off etc). I normally turn up and say "I'm having X problem and I've solved it by doing XYZ." So, they're kind of pointless. I also push my children out myself without any assistance except for someone to catch, which Samuel could do, so I don't actually need them at the birth either. But I do need them there for my peace of mind. Or rather, I WANT them there for my peace of mind. Just in case something does go wrong in some way.
If I lived in America and couldn't have a home birth I would be having an unassisted birth. But I would have a scan first. Lots of people don't have scans though and I completely understand why.
I'll try to remember weights and stuff (I dunno how you do it, again, Super Sarah).
Lol, Samuel was sitting next to me when I was typing saying he had no idea how I could remember all that. I don't remember unless I do them in order. Although I very vividly remember the 9lb7!

Trying to figure out how to upload a baby high picture... How did you do it, FH2? Absolutely stunning picture of yours, btw!
Thank you! And, I think I clicked on upload a file, bottom right of the box you're typing in.

When talking about due dates, I honestly think they are a load of nonsense. You know when you go to the midwife or doctor and they calculate the due date on that little spinning disk? That disk is made by the company that makes induction drugs. And they give it out for free! Isn't that nice of them...
Noah (#5) was apparently 12 days late. I knew the date he was conceived (as I do with nearly all of my children, and remember fondly! ;) ), so I knew he was 'over'. I told the midwife I would have a scan at 42 weeks to make sure all was fine, but I wouldn't be induced unless something was actually wrong with me or baby. Well I was in early labour, and trying to get my body to get going properly, when I got a phone call from the hospital saying I had to come in for a meeting about being induced and to have a scan. I said not until 42 weeks. They said because it was coming up to Christmas I had to come in earlier or the doctors wouldn't be there. Yeah, nice, induce me because your doctors want to go on holiday! Anyway, this wasn't very helpful for the stress of the labour to be honest, but I did manage to have him before I needed to go in to their appointment.
But here's the thing, he wasn't overdue. When a baby goes past their 'due' date then they start to lose the vernix covering. Well he had the most of any of my babies. He was covered in it. And I was covered in it lol, he was very slippery. There was plenty of fluid surrounding him. The placenta was perfect. Aside from his size he actually looked a little bit early to me.
So the doctors would have induced me for their convenience and no other reason. Nothing wrong with either of us. And that due date thing? Nonsense.
I hate giving people dates. I say I'm due in a certain month, or towards the end of a month etc. If I'm due, say, early November, then I'll say end of November. That means that if I go 'over' then people will just think that was normal, and I also don't get a whole lot of comments on facebook from everyone wondering if I've had baby yet. My Nana used to keep ringing me to see if I'd had baby and I had to say to her "I will tell you when I've had baby, I'm not going to forget to ring you, I promise."
Also, I turn into a nasty grumpy bitch when I'm overdue (everyone will attest to this, my husband has the patience of a saint...) and the last thing I want is everyone asking me if I've had baby yet. If I could punch someone through the computer, then I may have done that a few times!

I am thankful that my midwife will let me go to 43 weeks where as many of the hospitals will only allow up to 41 weeks before interventions.
My "due date" is almost a week later than what I calculated from conception but I am happy to have the additional days not "counting" against me if I go over.
Haha @FollowingHim2! Don't you feel like everyone views you as a ticking time bomb just ready to explode when you of over due? It's funny for a minute..

How did you ladies adjust going from one kiddo to two kiddos and so on? What are some tips and tricks to get through the 24/7 newborn nursing and not letting the older one feel abandoned ha? My first is 3.

My "due date" is almost a week later than what I calculated from conception but I am happy to have the additional days not "counting" against me if I go over.
Lol, I choose conception date or last period date or scan date depending on which one is later so I don't get harassed as much. My last midwife was really awesome though and not worried about how far over I went at all.

Haha @FollowingHim2! Don't you feel like everyone views you as a ticking time bomb just ready to explode when you of over due? It's funny for a minute..
When I was overdue with #5 my cousin made that joke. I left Facebook. I don't do overdue well ha ha. I feel very sorry for any SW that has to deal with that.
I'm good now though, and yes, that is funny!
How did you ladies adjust going from one kiddo to two kiddos and so on? What are some tips and tricks to get through the 24/7 newborn nursing and not letting the older one feel abandoned ha? My first is 3
I had mine pretty close, but when I had my second I had breastfeeding boxes that I made. I made 4 boxes and put a selection of toys that I knew he liked in them, some favourites and some new ones. Then one box came out while I was feeding, and went away as soon as I was done. With a 3 year old you could add a few crafts in, or have some computer time. I also learned some books off by heart so James could sit beside me and turn the pages of a book and I could read while feeding Matthew. I couldn't see the book, but I knew the words anyway!
Also, if your first is being naughty then you put down baby straight away and you deal with it, even if baby cries. Otherwise they learn that when you are feeding, changing a nappy etc, that they can get away with whatever they like. Keep the same boundaries, nothing has changed. They weren't allowed to touch the remote control for the tv before, they aren't now etc.

Just got home from our ultrasound :) Baby is growing good! Actually, so good it is measuring 2 weeks ahead.. Ha. It is comforting knowing my placenta is high and out of the way as well as no other reasons we shouldn't do a home birth. :) Managed to stay team green, though I was pretty tempted- good thing hubs was there to keep my temptation at bay ;):p

Yes! We will find out at birth if it is a boy or girl.

Yes ma'am I have 5 children and the sixth is due in May, my last 2 children were home births. They were amazing births I wouldn't have had them any other way! Such beauty and peace at home birthing them. god willing we will have another homebirth in may!

Yay! So exciting. I CANNOT WAIT :) I had a midwife appt today and started talking about what they provide and what I need. Definitely makes it more real now that I am in my third trimester :)

Ah, such willpower! :D
Oh by the way, we accidentally found out what we are having.. Ha so no surprise this time. We are excited to be welcoming another boy into our sweet family.

@Kathy, awesome! I suspect ours will be a May baby as well although the "EDD" is April 30. Do you have a midwife attend your births? Hi and welcome, by the way.

@windblown the last two I didn't have a legal midwife attend the birth... I did have two nurses at my last home birth but they are not trained in homebirth... hope that answers you. So basically unassisted home births... hi and thanks for the welcome! Are you in a plural marriage? I need some advice if you can...I'm looking for a first wife but at this point any number would be fine

Back