• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Honor the Fathers: Recovering the Anti-Feminist Theology of the Reformers

Bartato

Seasoned Member
Real Person*
Male
This is a short book by PCA pastor Zachary Garris, who also wrote the recently reviewed book "Masculine Christianity".

Please note that while this book deals with patriarchy, it does not address polygamy.

Baby steps

In this second book, Mr Garris summarizes the patriarchal (and anti-feminist) teaching of the Protestant reformers and those who followed them (John Calvin, John Knox, Westminster Assembly, Puritans, and others), looking at the proper position of man and woman in the family, the Church, and the civil authorities.

He then contrasts their teaching with that of popular modern "Reformed" teachers in the Complementarian movement. He shows that the teaching of men like Tim Keller, and Wayne Grudem doesn't accord with the Reformed tradition prior to the twentieth century.

I think it is a good book, and I have a lot of respect for Mr Garris writing it. He is fighting against the zeitgeist.

His other book (Masculine Christianity) is more informative, and would generally be better for most audiences.

I see this as book as a follow on, aimed specifically towards Reformed/Presbyterian Christians, especially pastors.

This book was published by "New Christendom Press" out of Ogden Utah. These are the Ogden boys (Brian Sauve and crew) who many of us appreciate. This is their first book. I expect other good books to be forthcoming.

The book is small (around 120 pages), and is a high quality collector type hardback, with a nice dust jacket. The price is $25 (with free shipping on their website). You can also use some discount codes to get 10% off (Brighthearth) (HauntedCosmos) (TheKingsHall).

I imagine (and hope) that they will also come out with a cheaper paperback mass market version soon. A pricetag under $10 would be great.

25$ is a little high for such a short book, but I really like all these guys, and want to support their efforts.

Back