• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

How Did Polygamy Become a Sin?

PeteR

Staff member
Real Person
Male
I just finished an excellent book by Pastor Daniel Eshun titled How Did Polygamy Become a Sin?

Eshun is an African lecturer and pastor from Ghana. His lens, as he researches the topic is particularly interesting as he demonstrates over and over that monogamy-only as a Western Christian and Eurocentric ideal is rooted not in Scripture, but in Greco-Roman law imported into Christendom by the 'Church fathers.' He presents a pile of anecdotal evidence to the destructive nature of monogamy-only doctrine in Africa - truth that transcends culture and continent.

Some of his perspectives on some passages are refreshing in their differing angle due to his cultural start point and his conclusions certainly should embolden anyone in the battle for truth concerning marriage!!

Highly recommended!!

I just finished an excellent book by Pastor Daniel Eshun titled How Did Polygamy Become a Sin?

Eshun is an African lecturer and pastor from Ghana. His lens, as he researches the topic is particularly interesting as he demonstrates over and over that monogamy-only as a Western Christian and Eurocentric ideal is rooted not in Scripture, but in Greco-Roman law imported into Christendom by the 'Church fathers.' He presents a pile of anecdotal evidence to the destructive nature of monogamy-only doctrine in Africa - truth that transcends culture and continent.

Some of his perspectives on some passages are refreshing in their differing angle due to his cultural start point and his conclusions certainly should embolden anyone in the battle for truth concerning marriage!!

Highly recommended!!
I liked that one!

Highly recommended!!
Glad to see another in the book reviews thread that's already on my shelf, and this time it's one that I've already read.

I found the book thoughtful and readable, though I was disappointed that it didn't really offer any new insights that hadn't already been presented. Nearly every point Pastor Eshun made had already been made by Pilkington in "The Great Omission" and Nelson in "the Monogamy Lie." Still, it was nice to see a refresher course in Patriarchal Marriage Theology presented so succinctly in one short little easy-to-read volume. for one who has not already been introduced to the Biblical and Toraic rightness of plural marriage, I'd recommend handing them a copy of this as a primer.

Back