• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

How do keep the faith you have?

Revgill87123

Male
I always wandered what people used to try to remember who it is they serve when some how put in a situation that may leed to a less then G*dly out come. I have normally worn a kippah cause a kippah signifies my awareness and submission to the presence of the Holy One. But I know not every one on here probably not the good majority wear a kippah. So I was just wandering. I think it would also be good for those who are not of Messianic faith to know how others keep their faith. :D

We meditate on God's word both night and day. To us this means that first thing when we wake up we read the Bible and last thing before bed we read the Bible. Then we pray. We also try to pray throughout the day, especially when there are rough spots in our day.

To my knowledge I do not wear anything that signifies my devotion to Christ. But I do try to remember that I am His representative, so that my behavior shows who I serve.

SweetLissa

I stopped wearing all forms of flashy jewelry other than my wedding ring and a cross necklace. As Sweetlissa said, I meditate on His Word daily, pray, and let my light shine through my behavior. Rev, what is a kippah?

Hi Rev Gill, I appreciate your humility and willingness to show others you are a God follower. I personally would feel uncomfortable wearing one. On the other hand, in a previous life as a minister, my senior pastor would say I was "out of uniform" if I did not wear a suit and tie on Sunday morning. So from age 13 until age 31, I felt naked unless I wore one. Then I became a semi-charismatic believer(boy those were fun times) and I wore cutoffs and sweatshirts and no one thought any different. I am starting to wear ties again on Sunday(another 18 years later...).
Now for my wife I think differently. I so thoroughly enjoy buying diamonds and pearls for her and enjoy how they sparkle on her. She actually enjoys a break from wearing beautiful jewelry- go figure! I guess it's my own way of saying, "this one's mine and she's well taken care of!" She in turn says, "Everyone needs a Jack, but you can't have mine!" (I'm still working on that one- LOL)
Blessings,
Maddog

A Kippah is also called a yamika. The kippah has some powerful references in Talmudic literature, where it is associated with a sincere reverence for G-d.

In Kiddushin 31a - R. Honah Ben Joshua declares that he "never walked four cubits with his head uncovered . . . Because the Divine Presence is always over my head."

Berachot 60b, it is written, "When he spreads a cloth upon his head he should say: Blessed are you (G-d) . . . Who crowns Israel with splendor."

lutherangirl said:
I stopped wearing all forms of flashy jewelry other than my wedding ring and a cross necklace. As Sweetlissa said, I meditate on His Word daily, pray, and let my light shine through my behavior. Rev, what is a kippah?

Rev,

Thank you for the explanation. :D

Dale,
Why are you, a Tongan, trying to become like a Jew?

Hi there Rev,
I feel that our actions and conduct are the best proclamation of our faith to the world around us. I don't wear outward symbols or jewelry other than my wedding band. It's not that I distain them in any way, just a personal preference. Besides, my body seems to like killing the internal mechanics of any watch that I wear for more than a month. :lol:

That being said, I sometimes do need a reminder of whom I follow and why I must bring to heel my broken nature. My reminder is a small vial of oil which I keep in my pocket.

When I was young in my faith, my pastor gave a sermon on the importance of men fulfilling their roles as the priests of their households. When he was done, he gave each man a small glass vial of mineral oil to symbolize the oils that the priesthood would use for anointing.

He challenged us all to carry the vial in our pockets for 30 days. Whenever we would dig in our pocket for keys or change and , instead, bring out the vial, we were to reflect upon that role of "Priest" the God has given us for a moment.

He promised us that if we did this faithfully, it would transform our walk with God and our lives. Now, twelve years later, I still carry the vial.

I recently had an interesting interaction at work. The end of my shift overlaps the beginning of the custodial crew's night shift, so I have some contact with them a couple of times a week. One of the crew members was mad about something and was cussing up a storm when the supervisor pulled him aside and talked with him at length in a low murmur.

In a few minutes, the man who was angry came and apologized for saying what he did in front of me. Intrigued, I asked why he was apologizing to me specifically. Apparently, the entire night crew has been under the impression that I am a pastor of some sort.

I informed him that I am not a pastor in the sense that he assumed, but I am a priest. I then pulled the vial from my pocket and told him the story behind it. He apologized with a red face, but I told him that it is both honoring and humbling to be mistaken so, and that he was correct in his assumption in a way, so I took it as the highest form of compliment.

Now I just have to work on being mistaken more often.

My mother is Tongan my fathers side is german jew their last name is goldberg. Also I have not been trying to become I have been doing Hebrew prayers and wearing a Kippah for years just some how when we lost the house in the fire Becky didn't pack any of my kippahs so I had to order more from Israel. Also better to wear a Kippah then Mala I always say. If I wanted to go to my tongan family roots then I would go to buddhism. The two prevailing religions are Jewish or buddhist in Tonga hence the whole sabbath laws in Tonga. Some Christian chruches, catholic and mormon but not many as far as preaching the real word. Also I feel as if this is the right way for me too be. Since I was young I have practise many of the Jewish things in life cause I do like the structure it gives. Problem is though I believe the Messiah has come. Some thing the Jewish side doesn't except or understand.

John Whitten said:
Dale,
Why are you, a Tongan, trying to become like a Jew?

Back