• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

How Likeable Are You?

I joked about not knowing what empathy is, but in all seriousness, there is a difference between sympathy and empathy. You can't empathize without experience can you?

I can sympathize with menstrual cramps, but, as a man, never be able to empathize. Am I wrong?

I've heard that before, but maybe the definition has shifted over time.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/empathy

It's six of one and a half dozen of the other to me, because I'm not likely to feel anything in any case. Even if I've gone through exactly what the subject is going through, I'm likely to be.... amused?

Or at least optimistic on the grounds that the pain they now experience will mold them the same way it molded me.

Didn't Bill Clinton catch all kinds of grief for "I feel your pain."?

Do you think lack of deep empathy in most men benefits them in wartime situations? You can't kill and destroy if you go around empathizing and emoting all the time.

Do you think lack of deep empathy in most men benefits them in wartime situations? You can't kill and destroy if you go around empathizing and emoting all the time.
No, a lack of empathy in wartime is a lot more destructive. After the killings done and you come home, they tell you to leave it all behind your a civilian now. Then you got one of three choices. Remain an uncaring person who is unable to form meaningful realationships. Allow yourself to feel again and try not to get crushed by weight of what you have seen and done. Finally, give it all to God and do your best everyday not to take it back from him. Most of the time it starts at the first and if your not to jaded it ends with God. It's been easier for one's that could empathize with the human qualities of there enemy. Now those how sympathize with the enemy ended up getting fragged.

Even with an AQ of 26 I guess I'm likeable. I was just alerted That im Seriously likeable an got a trophy for it.

Hey, I got to meet you in person, and I'll vouch for Seriously Likeable! :cool: Looking forward to seeing you again at the retreat!

Being "Seriously Likeable" is a very good qualification for a polygamist by the way.

Also for a gay guy. On more than one occasion I have had people say to me when discussing my conservative views on homosexuality "but gays are really nice people". To which I always reply "Of course they are, they have to be in order to be gay, a guy would have to be REALLY nice to get me to go to bed with him"...

Thought I'd share my score too: 30. Kind of makes sense but i never would have thought as being borderline autistic. I just thought of myself as being detached... unless it's something i'm really interested in.... in which case i don't let go. and i don't worry too much about not having many friends... And sometimes really confused why people get all butt hurt over the weirdest simplest things. Hmmm...

My wife's a Social Supernode. I get all the social interaction I can handle just through her by proxy. I can't see how she can hold 5 different convos at the same time (no joke). All the women in that family are like that. She can tell me about her day and the meetings she went to and what the other people said, but what they really meant was something else and then her friend up north did this and her other friend did that and the other troop leader has this going on... by the time she's done, I'm the one that's exhausted. When i first met her, i told my mom that i didn't like her cause she never shut up the whole time we were together.... so i married her????

Also for a gay guy. On more than one occasion I have had people say to me when discussing my conservative views on homosexuality "but gays are really nice people". To which I always reply "Of course they are, they have to be in order to be gay, a guy would have to be REALLY nice to get me to go to bed with him"...
As Larry the Cable Guy* says, "I don't care who you are, that's funny right there."

*Disclaimer: No, I don't care for Larry at all, but a gold nugget in a pile of poo is still a gold nugget.

Thought I'd share my score too: 30. Kind of makes sense but i never would have thought as being borderline autistic. I just thought of myself as being detached... unless it's something i'm really interested in.... in which case i don't let go. and i don't worry too much about not having many friends... And sometimes really confused why people get all butt hurt over the weirdest simplest things. Hmmm...

My wife's a Social Supernode. I get all the social interaction I can handle just through her by proxy. I can't see how she can hold 5 different convos at the same time (no joke). All the women in that family are like that. She can tell me about her day and the meetings she went to and what the other people said, but what they really meant was something else and then her friend up north did this and her other friend did that and the other troop leader has this going on... by the time she's done, I'm the one that's exhausted. When i first met her, i told my mom that i didn't like her cause she never shut up the whole time we were together.... so i married her????

As Larry the Cable Guy* says, "I don't care who you are, that's funny right there."

*Disclaimer: No, I don't care for Larry at all, but a gold nugget in a pile of poo is still a gold nugget.
That's what bugs me about my score. I can have the 5 person conversation, but only if it's with people I like!!!!

That's what bugs me about my score. I can have the 5 person conversation, but only if it's with people I like!!!!
The score doesn't matter. There's many reasons that could cause individuals to choose the answers they did. What I see is that its about confidence. We're all confidant with people we like or when we have anonymity. Face to face interaction with unfamiliar people or people we just don't like is difficult. Our confidence levels wax and wane. Empathy and confidence are linked because you have to trust that your picking up the right cues. Empathy is like a muscle the more you work it the stronger it gets. As your ability to read the right cues gets more accurate the more confidenant you become. We'll at lease that is my experience.

@Kevin
Agree some, disagree on other parts.

Again, I can talk to complete strangers without a problem, and have been accused of being overly friendly when it wasn't necessary (talking with strangers on the subway when most people just don't do that). It's just the people, groups, or situations I don't like. It uses up my energy to fake my like, when I know I dislike....that's what politicians do.....grrrr!

Ok, @Mojo I believe see what your talking about now. Its about not feeling the need to waste time, energy, or effort faking the nicities.

I took the test, all 50 questions. I followed the laborious process and when I got to the end it wouldn't show me my score. It showed what my score would mean if it did show me my score but it wouldn't show me my score. I realized I just didn't care enough to try and find out why and that one fact alone probably meant my score was pretty low so really, what was the point? I checked Drudge instead.

The higher the score, the more Asbergery/Autistic you are.

So, if you scored low, you're a loveable, mushy, ball of gushy love and empathy. Yup, sounds just like you.:eek:

The higher the score, the more Asbergery/Autistic you are.

So, if you scored low, you're a loveable, mushy, ball of gushy love and empathy. Yup, sounds just like you.:eek:

I don't know, I scored pretty low and I can be very un-empathetic as well as very un-sympathetic at times. I think it depends on the situation.

I don't know, I scored pretty low and I can be very un-empathetic as well as very un-sympathetic at times. I think it depends on the situation.
Love stories and romantic comedies come to mind???

I think my default is set to off, so when it sometimes comes on, its surprising to me! How did that happen?

At other times, if I see someone struggling, I want to do all I can to help.

There are of course other miscellaneous things about me that are broken, but you guys are gonna have to get the right test posted before I'll admit it to myself or anyone else.:cool:

I'm really just outing myself because after a mediocre 8th grade football season, the boys beat a really good team tonight that had beat them pretty badly the last game with them a couple of weeks ago.

My son had a 80 yd TD run and about a 35 yd completion that he ran in for another 20 yd TD, so I'm feeling good enough to admit to one or two of my failings.:oops: The last game was like 36 - 8, tonight we held them scoreless and put 16 points on the board.

I'm really just outing myself because after a mediocre 8th grade football season, the boys beat a really good team tonight that had beat them pretty badly the last game with them a couple of weeks ago.

My son had a 80 yd TD run and about a 35 yd completion that he ran in for another 20 yd TD, so I'm feeling good enough to admit to one or two of my failings.:oops: The last game was like 36 - 8, tonight we held them scoreless and put 16 points on the board.
Sounds like your AQ is zero right now as you are blubbering in tears of joy while entering this post.:D

Back