• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

How To Bring Out The Best In Your People

andrew

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
Found this article interesting. Pondering applicability to family and tribe as well as company.

[EDIT 1/5/24: Just found out the link above is broken, the article has been moved. Now found at this link.]

Last edited:
I have been considering tribal (family) culture a lot lately. Very apropos.

If I was going to apply some of the concepts of the article an try to build an enduring tribal community.

I would first define what a tribal community is.
  • Rooted in deeply held values and is not simply a fad or quickly passing trend.
  • About moving toward something bigger than any one individual’s goal in the group.
  • Founded on creating major change in the world, or centered on a deeply shared passion.
  • Led not for self-interest, but for the highest good of the tribe as a whole.
  • Nourished by a sense of meaning and living out a common purpose.
Next to build a strong tribe, we need to have a vision for ourself and others to rally around. The people in your tribe can only be as passionate about your cause as you are. Your vision has little to nothing to do with you. By putting a stake in the ground for what you believe in, you fashion a space for others to bond and connect around your core mission. There's a monologue from the movie the last castle that come to mind.

Take a look at a castle. Any castle. Now break down the key elements that make it a castle. They haven't changed in a thousand years. 1: Location. A site on high ground that commands the territory as far as the eye can see. 2: Protection. Big walls, walls strong enough to withstand a frontal attack. 3: A garrison. Men who are trained and willing to kill. 4: A flag. You tell your men you are soldiers and that's your flag. You tell them nobody takes our flag. And you raise that flag so it flies high where everyone can see it. Now you've got yourself a castle.

Perhaps the most uniting quality of your tribe is the shared purpose; what you are working toward as a whole, what you’re moving toward and what you do stand for. Without it you have nothing more than a hollow destination; a summit with no reason to climb it. People rally behind ideas, causes and missions they believe in. A common purpose connects all of what you do under a unifying banner. It gives context and meaning to each action. Even miniscule or mundane tasks can be seen as important and vital when connected to the contribution made to the bigger mission.

Working to survive. Grinding it out, paying the bills and going through the motions is simply a means to an end; a boring, lifeless means to survive.

Every tribe has identifiers that signify membership or alliance within it. Your tribe should be no different. Your tribe in similar ways is a team, a band of brothers united around a mission, passion or idea. They need to feel invested in the successes and failures of the tribe. Identifying, recruiting/raising members of your tribe is critical. A tribe starts with a vision, but is defined by the people in it. The people of your tribe are its lifeblood. Without them, you have nothing more than an empty house. Three different types of members are vital to the mission of your tribe.

FIELD RECRUITS.
These vital members make up the bedrock and core of your tribe. They do the important grassroots work of getting the message out there.

AMBASSADORS.
These are the champions and die-hard members of your tribe. They’ll stop at nothing to support the platform y'all stand for. You can usually spot ambassadors easily. They will naturally rise to the top. They’re commonly the people that don't shut up and are always ready with an opinion. They will do whatever it takes to support the tribe.

TORCHBEARERS.
These are the influencers and leaders in your community. They’re often people that have more clout and authority then you do. But if you can ally them to your cause, they will be huge supporters and vital members of your tribe. They’re the people that give you leverage. They’re people with existing platforms you can borrow.

The final thing is to create and cultivate a culture of engagement. A vision is nothing without forward motion and continual resolution to furthering the cause. In order to keep your tribe strong and thriving, you need to build a strong foundation built on constant interaction.
  • Set the stage. Be vocal to your community about the importance of your message and that you need their help sharing it. Make it centered on the shared purpose, and not about you and your ego, and make them understand they’re doing something good by contributing to the cause.
  • Regularly brief your tribe. Regularly update your tribe on new happenings in the community. What’s coming next? What milestones have you reached? What if any you have goals have you reached or made advancements in. Have you brought someone new onto the tribe? Being honest about what's going on, successes and failures.
  • Share the spotlight. Highlight ambassadors and create a narrative around those who invest in the community. If certain people been with your tribe or helped your at the very beginning make them feel special let them know you aporeciate them and share that story with the others.
  • Encourage engagement. Reward those that are highly active and engaged. The more you make people feel like their efforts are recognized, the more it encourages other to contribute as well.
  • Teach via example. Set up expectations of engagement from the beginning, and continually reinforce them. Share stories about people in your tribe that are highly engaged and dedicated. In as many places as possible, try to both set up the expectation for engagement and continually reinforce expectations through holding yourself accountable.
  • Get them invested. Make people feel a part of the key decisions that are made in your tribe. Make them feel involved in the story and the ongoing unfolding of your tribes story. People support things they feel like they’ve contributed to.
No tribe is built overnight. It takes dedication, hard work and long-term commitment to build anything truly great.

Good stuff, all of it. I don't want to lose sight of the OP, though, so if we want to discuss how we handle experiences of vulnerability or how we use storytelling to build our families and tribes, let's do that here, and if we want to discuss something else, let's start a new thread. That wider perspective certainly contextualizes the narrower tactical points of the OP; my main interest in that article, though (and motivation for sharing it), was the discussion of how we deal with vulnerability, which in this context would have to do primarily with the women and children in our household and secondarily with the newer or younger men in a tribe.

For fathers and sons, I think point #3 re pushback might be worth a thread to itself....

Sorry, when I started I intended to loop back to storytelling and when someone gives a new idea but keep running straight. We can break that off and relocate it into another thread if you like.

1. when you propose a new idea
  2. when you ask for help
  3. when you push back on something
  4. when you ask for a personal favor
To me # 1 When you propose a new idea is a crucial point. They're vulnerable and need to be affirmed. Sometimes a new idea is only new to the one who had it. I know it builds confidence in my boys when they believe they've reinvented the wheel. At first I would laugh and tell them it's been done that way before. It would discourage them. I found them not only just following but avoiding taking the initiative on things. It took awhile to build my sons confidence back up. Now I ask them if they thought it up themselves and show an interest in how the came up with the idea. This has made them actually step up and be confident when thinking outside the box. Now instead of trying to get them to take initiative, I'm trying to reign them in a bit.

Last edited:
We can break that off and relocate it into another thread if you like.

1. when you propose a new idea
  2. when you ask for help
  3. when you push back on something
  4. when you ask for a personal favor
Now instead of trying to get them to take initiative, I'm trying to rein them in a bit.
:eek::D
Fathers and sons.... :):cool:

I would think that one of the best ways to develop a thriving community is to try to figure out some how to control the 'clique' mentality. I would imagine that most fears of contribution come from the idea of not being accepted into the crowd. Crowd mentality can be a huge hindrance to individual thought.

I would think that one of the best ways to develop a thriving community is to try to figure out some how to control the 'clique' mentality. I would imagine that most fears of contribution come from the idea of not being accepted into the crowd. Crowd mentality can be a huge hindrance to individual thought.
That's why I tend to hate crowds. Guess that's my nature is mostly introverted. Many people love the approval of the crowd and feed off of its affirmation. My personality type doesn't need your approval, adulation, or your affirmation. I accept it and appreciate it, but it doesn't deter me if I don't get it. Cliques suck!

I have been reading a lot of John C Maxwell leadership books lately and I haven’t found one yet that disappointed me. Plus he is/was a very prolific writer and his books are surprisingly non repetitive. A little repetition, but very little and I only began to notice it after reading several books. I figure any Christian man who is married or aspires to marry should be studying leadership, even if he just works on an assembly line down at the local factory. If you work in a ministry (including BF) then multiply that need by a hundred or a thousand.

Which titles do I recommend? All I’ve read so far. My recommendation would be to start an account on ThriftBooks.com or abebooks.com and just stock up your library with cheap used copies. Hard to go wrong, and if you actually study them it may be one of the best financial investments you ever make. Many of them would make great gifts for sons too!

John was a Methodist pastor who retired to teach leadership and run a (Christian) fundraising ministry so everything comes through a Christian perspective. About the biggest fault I can find is that he frequently engages in very mild “gender bending” such as using she/her instead of he/him when he is writing about leadership roles. Of course women may sometimes lead but leadership is the most obvious place one should just go ahead and default to the masculine pronoun. No biggie, my pen works fine and these are used books.

If I was going to apply some of the concepts of the article an try to build an enduring tribal community.

I would first define what a tribal community is.
  • Rooted in deeply held values and is not simply a fad or quickly passing trend.
  • About moving toward something bigger than any one individual’s goal in the group.
  • Founded on creating major change in the world, or centered on a deeply shared passion.
  • Led not for self-interest, but for the highest good of the tribe as a whole.
  • Nourished by a sense of meaning and living out a common purpose.
Next to build a strong tribe, we need to have a vision for ourself and others to rally around. The people in your tribe can only be as passionate about your cause as you are. Your vision has little to nothing to do with you. By putting a stake in the ground for what you believe in, you fashion a space for others to bond and connect around your core mission. There's a monologue from the movie the last castle that come to mind.

Take a look at a castle. Any castle. Now break down the key elements that make it a castle. They haven't changed in a thousand years. 1: Location. A site on high ground that commands the territory as far as the eye can see. 2: Protection. Big walls, walls strong enough to withstand a frontal attack. 3: A garrison. Men who are trained and willing to kill. 4: A flag. You tell your men you are soldiers and that's your flag. You tell them nobody takes our flag. And you raise that flag so it flies high where everyone can see it. Now you've got yourself a castle.

Perhaps the most uniting quality of your tribe is the shared purpose; what you are working toward as a whole, what you’re moving toward and what you do stand for. Without it you have nothing more than a hollow destination; a summit with no reason to climb it. People rally behind ideas, causes and missions they believe in. A common purpose connects all of what you do under a unifying banner. It gives context and meaning to each action. Even miniscule or mundane tasks can be seen as important and vital when connected to the contribution made to the bigger mission.

Working to survive. Grinding it out, paying the bills and going through the motions is simply a means to an end; a boring, lifeless means to survive.

Every tribe has identifiers that signify membership or alliance within it. Your tribe should be no different. Your tribe in similar ways is a team, a band of brothers united around a mission, passion or idea. They need to feel invested in the successes and failures of the tribe. Identifying, recruiting/raising members of your tribe is critical. A tribe starts with a vision, but is defined by the people in it. The people of your tribe are its lifeblood. Without them, you have nothing more than an empty house. Three different types of members are vital to the mission of your tribe.

FIELD RECRUITS.
These vital members make up the bedrock and core of your tribe. They do the important grassroots work of getting the message out there.

AMBASSADORS.
These are the champions and die-hard members of your tribe. They’ll stop at nothing to support the platform y'all stand for. You can usually spot ambassadors easily. They will naturally rise to the top. They’re commonly the people that don't shut up and are always ready with an opinion. They will do whatever it takes to support the tribe.

TORCHBEARERS.
These are the influencers and leaders in your community. They’re often people that have more clout and authority then you do. But if you can ally them to your cause, they will be huge supporters and vital members of your tribe. They’re the people that give you leverage. They’re people with existing platforms you can borrow.

The final thing is to create and cultivate a culture of engagement. A vision is nothing without forward motion and continual resolution to furthering the cause. In order to keep your tribe strong and thriving, you need to build a strong foundation built on constant interaction.
  • Set the stage. Be vocal to your community about the importance of your message and that you need their help sharing it. Make it centered on the shared purpose, and not about you and your ego, and make them understand they’re doing something good by contributing to the cause.
  • Regularly brief your tribe. Regularly update your tribe on new happenings in the community. What’s coming next? What milestones have you reached? What if any you have goals have you reached or made advancements in. Have you brought someone new onto the tribe? Being honest about what's going on, successes and failures.
  • Share the spotlight. Highlight ambassadors and create a narrative around those who invest in the community. If certain people been with your tribe or helped your at the very beginning make them feel special let them know you aporeciate them and share that story with the others.
  • Encourage engagement. Reward those that are highly active and engaged. The more you make people feel like their efforts are recognized, the more it encourages other to contribute as well.
  • Teach via example. Set up expectations of engagement from the beginning, and continually reinforce them. Share stories about people in your tribe that are highly engaged and dedicated. In as many places as possible, try to both set up the expectation for engagement and continually reinforce expectations through holding yourself accountable.
  • Get them invested. Make people feel a part of the key decisions that are made in your tribe. Make them feel involved in the story and the ongoing unfolding of your tribes story. People support things they feel like they’ve contributed to.
No tribe is built overnight. It takes dedication, hard work and long-term commitment to build anything truly great.
Ironically I needed this presently as I figure out, if I want to build community with my various tenants or just be their landlady. Thank you for this wealth of information.

Back