• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

How to fix this

poly2_2011

we have our kids in youth sports and I have a very different view on appropriate behavior in regards to sportsmanship. today the other team chanted and called and screamed everytime they had the opportunity to throw the other kids off ie heckling, I had a big problem with this and could not believe that this was not only allowed but encouraged by their coaches, in discussing this with my SW she stated that it was just part of the game and that the girls were going to get taught to do it too. I am appalled! not only am I expected to accept this poor sportsmanship and disrespectful behavior in other kids i am supposed to be ok with my own children being taught this for the sake of a game? She stated that winning is everything and that i should just get over it. WHat do I do?

It can often be a regional thing isn't it? If that is the sports culture of the region you would have difficulty trying to change it and it may be your children will have to face it, it is important to remember when children travel with sporting events they may experience the same or worse, if they are not immune to it, it may put them off their game.

I am sorry but I would consider this a bit of a like it or lump it situation unless you wish to move your children into more genteel sports or solo sports where audience chanting is less common, like riding, tennis, swimming or gymnastics?

Bels

x

Cow fam said:
These are things to consider, pray about, and follow the decisions of your spiritual head even if you disagree with his decision.
Very well said. If you can't resolve it yourselves, each of you need to present your views to him, let him decide what's happening, then obey him. Remember you are both his equal wives, they are ALL equally his children, and all of you fall under his authority.

Dictatorship is the Godly solution to disputes! :lol: It's a big responsibility though, us husbands don't always make the right decision, but at least a decision is made and the family can move in the same direction without further argument.

Agree with the above. Add the following 2 cents, alluded to by Bels:

Different sports may have different customs. Team sports might well do the razzing thing, and find benefit in teaching young people to ignore such. Not a bad preparation for being involved in PM.

Other sports, such as Bels mentioned, or ballet, track, horseback riding, whatever they call it where you ride a bicycle on a track or through the woods over jumps, etc., don't. Polo -- the audience claps politely while quietly getting soused ... :lol:

One can probably pick and choose sports easier than changing a region's or sport's culture.

I am wondering if it would have been 'culturally relevant' in Roman days to razz the Christians who weren't effectively standing up to the Lions? After all, those Christians need to learn to deal with all that criticism....

Written from a safe place overseas,

Doc

just wanted to let you all know that we eventually did have to take it to the head and it was decided that it was ok to tell the girls not to participate in the behavior but that there was not to be any discussion of it not being ok for everyone else. this was all i was actually looking for and it all turned out well.

Well done, I am glad to hear he was able to come up with a solution that works for everybody.

Back