• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

How to refer to specific wives? ...and other polygamy etiquette...

It's a Yankee term, and regional at that, I think. It's used for wife, common law wife, or long term girlfriend for some.

Here, 'my old lady' means your mother. Unless you were really old I don't see why you'd use it to describe your wife.
My wife's brother and alot of my friends from high school are bikers now and it's part of the "lingo" they use. It's one of the more respectful ways they refer to their wives or girlfriends and to seperate a relationship from.......a "friend".

Last edited:
It's a Yankee term, and regional at that, I think. It's used for wife, common law wife, or long term girlfriend for some.

I’m not so sure about that (if you’re referring to ‘old lady’. I live in the south and it’s common here — really common. I personally find it disrespectful though.

I’m not so sure about that (if you’re referring to ‘old lady’. I live in the south and it’s common here — really common. I personally find it disrespectful though.
In the states, a Yankee generally means northerner.

I was generalizing Yankee to mean "American" to FH2 (a Kiwi).

I was thinking South as part of my regional comment. I think throughout Southwest and West too. I've not spent enough time in the NE to know if it's used there.

The men I've heard using it don't seem to use it as a derogatory or affectionate term. It seems like it's just a neutral thing they picked up. I can't say for certain, though.

I don't use it.

The men I've heard using it don't seem to use it as a derogatory or affectionate term. It seems like it's just a neutral thing they picked up.
Agreed. It just "is what it is". No disrespect intended.

For my mom it was a huge no no. For my wife it was the name woman because her dad would use that as a pejorative for her mom. I just made sure that she knew I wasn't using it that way and now I use it primarily when I'm picking on her and she's pretty ok with it.

In some circles ,when used by a guy, sisterwife is being used to describe a secret mistress.

This is just my unsolicited ,bias ,agenda driven opinion, I think that sticking with names is the way to go. Those who know your family will have already asked questions like who was your first wife, second, ect..., and know who your talking about. Those who don't know your family will be forced to engage in conversation by asking questions to get the answers they want. It's in those dialogues that friendships are made and in the case of someone who is on the fence about one of many biblical issues that dialogue could lead to understand which could open there heart to revelation on many things.
I know for me, I would prefer to be called by my name. Lol it would be botched anyways lol but on a serious note, God gave my dad my name so why would I want to be known in any other way then my God given name. Great thread by the way. I'm loving reading the responses.

I know for me, I would prefer to be called by my name. Lol it would be botched anyways lol but on a serious note, God gave my dad my name so why would I want to be known in any other way then my God given name. Great thread by the way. I'm loving reading the responses.
Zec's oldest daughter's name is also Mariah, so he raaaarely calls me by my first name. When he does, half the time it's 'cause I'm in trouble. Lol.

I have only heard the term "sister-wife" applied to a wife who was also a sister in the spiritual sense, i.e. "in the Lord", and neither in the context of a mistress, nor in PM. I probably need to get out more ... ;)

i like this best personally: wifeA and wifeZ, as in Aida and Zillah ....
or (diane marie) wifeDM vs (donna kay) wifeDK .... etc ...
there are times when it seems intrusive to use whole names, but best to identify an individual from her sister :):)
so i would be wifeG or some such abreviation, for instance ....
same would go for sisterwife, swA/swZ/swG ....
:rolleyes:

The female dog I get, but plenty of men mean absolutely no disrespect using old lady. I don't use it, but have been around it.

The female dog I get, but plenty of men mean absolutely no disrespect using old lady. I don't use it, but have been around it.
I like to call the one that's 15 years younger than me "old lady" :p
It's a Robin Hood thing I guess "Little John" for the tall guy

Back