• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

"husband of one wife"

brYce

Shalom,

I have heard that this Greek phrase should be translated "husband of first wife", but someone knowledgeable in Greek pointed out that it wasn't a very good translation. After some more searching, I found that "husband of a wife" makes more sense. Please, look at the link I found that has convinced me and let me know what you think.

http://home.sprynet.com/~jbwwhite/HEIS_MIABW.html

Thanks,

brYce

brYce said:
Shalom,

I have heard that this Greek phrase should be translated "husband of first wife", but someone knowledgeable in Greek pointed out that it wasn't a very good translation. After some more searching, I found that "husband of a wife" makes more sense. Please, look at the link I found that has convinced me and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

brYce

Hello,

If you do a word study of "mia" in the New Testament, you will discover that "mia" is translated as an indefinite article many times. However, what does this view do to Apostle Paul?

DaPastor said:
what does this view do to Apostle Paul?

I don't think that it negates Saul(Paul) message. He was an evangelist instead of a Bishop/Deacon/Overseer. I see that as more of a spreader of the word instead of an actual leader of a more static/stationary group such as a Bishop/Deacon/Overseer would be.

DukeOfMarshall said:
DaPastor said:
what does this view do to Apostle Paul?
I don't think that it negates Saul(Paul) message. He was an evangelist instead of a Bishop/Deacon/Overseer. I see that as more of a spreader of the word instead of an actual leader of a more static/stationary group such as a Bishop/Deacon/Overseer would be.
Agreed. Whether we understand this phrase to mean "one wife", "first wife" or "a wife", it is speaking solely to a specific form of leadership (overseers, attendants and elders) within a local church body. If applied as a rule to all forms of ministers, evangelists, teachers, missionaries, etc., it would not only preclude Paul, but also Jesus, from serving.

Ephesians 4:11-12: "And He Himself gave some as emissaries, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as shepherds and teachers, for the perfecting of the set-apart ones, to the work of service to a building up of the body of the Messiah"

Love in Him,
David

Although it can be translated as "one", this is the translation that doesn't work as well, and is the most judging, though the most popular. If translated as "a", it bars single Christians, and makes it necessary to come up with logical explanations why single people don't qualify. If a leaders spouse dies the leader has to step down from his position, which is ridiculous. Since it is talking about qualification, I tend to lean to "first" as the best translation. It does not eliminate single people unless they get married and later can not keep their first wife. Monogamous and poly leaders are not eliminated unless their first wife has left, which may indicate an inability to lead their own home, which logically shows a lack of leadership qualification. Since nothing indicates the early church did not include polygamous individuals, scripture must be interpreted with these people in mind. And of course, if you are reading this then give yourself a big pat on the back. You qualify as a real Christian, and can lead!

Tretullians work On Monogamy is against groups in the early church who embraced polygamy. One group in particular had a large number of their leadership as polygamists. Tretullian referred to this group as the Psychics, but this clearly meant something very different to him than it did to you or me. Either way, there where early church denominations (for lack of a better term) that obviously practised it routinely. These groups where apparently the majority of Christians, because in the same work Tretullian admits no one ever heard of arguing for monogamy from scripture before.

I don't have a useful view on the topic itself, but am very interested to see this conversation play out. I thank everyone involved.

I think it’s safe to say that any of the three are possible, but one thing we can know for certain, whether it means “one wife”, “first wife” or “a wife”, is that there certainly is a WIFE in the equation. None of the possible translations allow for “no wife”. At the very least, we’re talking about a husband with a wife.

My own take on these passages is that the man being considered for these leadership roles should be married, have children, and have his family in order. I do not believe the passages could be interpreted to mean “one and only one” wife unless the interpreter starts with that assumption. To have a family, you need to start with at least one wife. One thing I’ve noticed is that all three of the “one wife” passages have this reference to family.

1 Tim. 3:1-5: “Trustworthy is the word: If a man longs for the position of an overseer, he desires a good work. An overseer, then, should be blameless, the husband of mia wife, sober, sensible, orderly, kind to strangers, able to teach, not given to wine, no brawler, but gentle, not quarrelsome, no lover of money, one who rules his own house well, having his children in subjection with all reverence, for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how shall he look after the assembly of Elohim?

1 Tim. 3:12: “Let attendants be the husbands of mia wife, ruling children and their own houses well.

Tit. 1:6: “If anyone is unreprovable, the husband of mia wife, having believing children not accused of loose behaviour, or unruly.

Look at these passages. In all three cases, the man is also required to have believing children that behave properly in reverence. If we apply the same logic that the man MUST be married, then he also MUST have children that behave. Each time “mia wife” is mentioned in Scripture, it is followed by also having well-behaved children. I think the reason is clear in 1 Tim. 3.

for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how shall he look after the assembly of Elohim?

The answer appears to be contained right there in the same passage. The intent is that a prospective leader should have established experience in leadership. If he can’t lead his own family properly, how can he lead the local body? Having a family that is in order demonstrates good leadership qualities.

I don’t see this is a concrete set of requirements that allows for no flexibility, but rather a set of guidelines to help them choose the leadership wisely. An unexperienced man may do just as good a job as an experienced one, but it is unlikely. I believe Paul mentioned these to help them select good leadership from among the elders, but I don't see any hint that these criteria are grounds for removal from leadership if not perfectly maintained. Anyway, just my two cents for what it’s worth.

Love in Him,
David

We know that saul was a part of the sanhedrian at a very young age before he bacame a Christian. It was a very common practice for those to be in the sanhedrian to be married as a pre-requisite for membership. So it is very possible he did have a wife and children when he was an unbeliever that had slept in christ either before or after his conversion which would make sense why he wrote the unbeliever is sanctified by the believeing spouse so that the children can be pure. He may have worried for the souls of his own lost children and wife. Let me be clear the bible doesnt say any of this but it doesnt contradict scripture either. This is pure speculation on my behalf. But it would explain why he could say that you must be married and not have a wife.

I Cor 9:5 Paul states

5 Don't we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord's brothers and Cephas ? NIV

The discussion of poly in the early church should include this verse. The energy of the verse is the need or desire for a "believing" wife as opposed to a non-believing wife. If Paul had a wife as put forth in a previous post, she was comfortable someplace back home rather than at Paul's side and Paul (in my opinion) directly defends his right to have a second relationship (with the emphasis on "believing") He even defends this right by refering to Cephas (Peter).

On a website about female martyrs I found this.

Before the end of 1st C. A.D. Clement, bishop of Rome wrote in his Stromateus that Peter's wife was martyred before him in Rome during Nero's persecution. Clement related "that the blessed Peter, seeing his own wife led away to execution, was delighted on account of her calling and return to her country, and that he cried to her in a consolatory and encouraging voice, addressing her by name: 'Oh thou, remember, the Lord!' Such was the marriage of these blessed ones, and such was their perfect affection towards their dearest friends." Her name by tradition was Concordia or Perpetua. (Two names or two women? .. who knows)

Notice Clements statement about her "return to her country" Did Peter have a wife from the area of Rome? Interesting stuff.

welltan said:
Although it can be translated as "one", this is the translation that doesn't work as well, and is the most judging, though the most popular. If translated as "a", it bars single Christians, and makes it necessary to come up with logical explanations why single people don't qualify. If a leaders spouse dies the leader has to step down from his position, which is ridiculous. Since it is talking about qualification, I tend to lean to "first" as the best translation. It does not eliminate single people unless they get married and later can not keep their first wife. Monogamous and poly leaders are not eliminated unless their first wife has left, which may indicate an inability to lead their own home, which logically shows a lack of leadership qualification. Since nothing indicates the early church did not include polygamous individuals, scripture must be interpreted with these people in mind. And of course, if you are reading this then give yourself a big pat on the back. You qualify as a real Christian, and can lead!
Please, check out what this link has to say about "first" and other ideas:

Back