• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Identity in Christ

Mikki G.

Female
For the last 7 years I have been fighting trying to see my identity in Christ. I have been raised from the bible ever since I was a child. And for years I thought that being a Christian, my life would be just smooth sailing because I have Papa God behind me. But in 2010 my whole world changed. I lost the bbattle in my marriage and my husband left me. When he left all I could do was look at myself and see noone. I saw a nobody, I saw someone who wasnt enough. I constantly struggle with not feeling like I am enough. In the last 7 years I have ahd a love hate relationship with God cause I'm finding it hard to find my place. My place in Gods life. But then about 2 years ago, God just showed me that he has so much in store for me. Every thing that I go through is for a reason. All my trials and all of my experiences give me wisdom. But how I repsond to that wisdom shows who I am in God. So my question is, when it comes to the lowest points in our lives..... How do we let our identity in Christ show?

I hope this makes sense

How can my identity in Christ bring me through my lowest points? Does my identity in Christ change as I change and evolve through my circumstances?

Ok I can only use my experience. I have know about Christ sense I was a kid as well. But let's look at this differently. I don't think your identity changes but I do think what you feel and what you need do. As a child I was picked on and felt alone so I prayed for friends. This did not happen over night and I only had my grandpa trough child's eyes I did not count my mother or father. I got to hear a lot of family not want me at there homes for Christmas or Thanksgiving or any event for that matter. All do to picking up the other line. I use this to explain we all had problems. My prayer then was a friend and then I lost my grand father do to bone cancer. His last words were there's kids playing soccer up there. His daughter reared up and said why not go play with them and he said I think I will. And he was gone. Then a darker event still came years later one that still effects me. But my prayer changed and I needed him more then ever to have my back, my front and all other directions. This seems to be when Christ dose his best work I won't ever forget it. He gave me a picture in my head so clear I could smell it feel it and I was looking at my self. A man not me but he was me. A future me as I had not even dreamed. I say this because I believe he always had that plan even when I didn't see it. I look at my son and I love him so much more. I tell him I love him. I only say this because he showed me holding a child and to be honest I gave up a long time ago before that. Now I see even when we change as individuals he dose not nor dose his plan.

Philippians 4:10-14

10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last from want, for I have learned to be through Him who strengthens me. 11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. 12 I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. 14 Nevertheless, you have done well to share with me in my affliction.

Sometimes we are a lesson for others, other times we are a blessing, that doesn't change our relationship with him.

Last edited:
I would start by identifying your relationship to Christ. What is he to you? Who is he to you?

IMHO. Your identity in Christ never changes. He is yours and you are his. However your confidence and faith in your relationship/identity should grow as the relationship matures. As it grows, you too can say like the Psalmist, “yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For thou art with me.

I love what an old pastor used to say, I serve a God of great faithfulness.
He will never leave and He will never forsake. He may take us through challenging times and storms, but His faithfulness will be the bedrock that will always be safe to build our homes upon.

My identity in Christ is who He has made me to be since He has done everything to bless me with "every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ" (Eph. 1:3). Mikki, if you take a couple of minutes to read (and a good while to ponder!) what follows in Ephesians Chapter 1; v:4-14, you will see how it is that God has blessed His children. Consider some of the things mentioned in Eph. 1:4-14: we've been chosen, adopted, accepted, redeemed, forgiven, inherited, sealed, and it's all to the praise of His glory. This is all about what God has done and who He has made us to be; the identity He's given us.

Knowing all that, we might ask (and answer), as the apostle Paul did in his epistle to the Romans;
"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
As it is written: "For Your sake we are killed all day long; We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter."
Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.
For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come,
nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Rom. 8:35-39).

As VV76 has already well said, God is a God of great faithfulness so keep praising and thanking Him for all He's done and who He makes you to be. Blessings

I would start by identifying your relationship to Christ. What is he to you? Who is he to you?
Amen.... For sure. Its hard to identify oneself in Christ without looking at where I am in my relationship with God. Thank u for this

Amen.... For sure. Its hard to identify oneself in Christ without looking at where I am in my relationship with God. Thank u for this
Do you have an answer?

Not trying to be confrontational, but many non Christian religions regard Christ very highly. They may even relate to his teachings. But, they are not Christians by a biblical definition.

You won't get anywhere until you answer these questions with a clear biblical answer that affirms your relationship with Christ.

Do you have an answer?

Not trying to be confrontational, but many non Christian religions regard Christ very highly. They may even relate to his teachings. But, they are not Christians by a biblical definition.

You won't get anywhere until you answer these questions with a clear biblical answer that affirms your relationship with Christ.
When I was a kid I always thought of God as the big man upstairs who just watched over me.... But now as an adult he means so much more to me than that. Though I have gone through moments where I was beyond angry with God, he has been there for me through everything. God has Benn my rock, shield and strength. The best way I can honestly think about it is that God is my Daddy. He is my fort , and my foundation.

When I got divorced I thought my life was over but in all of that I gave all my emotion to him and he took it and molded me into a better person from my experiences. He is the artist of my life. That is who God is to me. He is my Daddy.... My everything. I wouldnt be who I am or where I am today without him.

And ur not being confrontational :)
Do you have an answer?

Back