• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

If only we'd PARTIED ...

CecilW

Real Person
Male
... instead of COMPLAINING. We humans, that is. Back in the days of the Exodus.

What's clear in the stories is that every time God brought us up to an opportunity for Him to show Himself strong, we humans complained. Usually something along the lines of, "We're hungry / thirsty / scared / tired / lost / gotta go potty. DO something! Now! Did you bring us all the way out here to this desert to DIE? Hunh? Hunh?"
  • Red sea
  • Bitter springs
  • Want meat
  • Golden calf
  • Strike da rock
  • On the border of Canaan
  • War with the Amalekites (Moses' hands doing the first recorded semaphore!)

Seems even our long-suffering patient God, full of goodness and mercy, with a long and effective arm able to save to the uttermost, with love that never fails, got mighty tired of it.

Despite the plagues of Egypt, apparently we neither feared His anger, nor trusted His love.

We look back and think, "How sad!" But do we go and do the same things today?

I wonder how the History of God's People would have read had we partied instead?! What if, each time one of these opportunities arose, we human's had yelled, "God Party!" and started dancing, shouting, praising and giving thanks that God was about to show Himself strong on the earth on our behalves?

Remember 10 Commandments Day? When God Himself physically came down upon the mountain of Sanai? Burned the hell out of the rocks on top, thus turning them into holy ground! :lol: (You can still see 'em today if you can get past the Saudis ...) He had Moses put a fence around the mountain so no-one would come too close and die.

But what happened when He showed up? Fire and lightning and thunder and great noise and clouds and then a great deep voice announcing, "I am the God who brought you out of Egypt! Thou shalt ..."?

There went Moses running towards the fence, hollering, "Come ON, everybody! GOD IS HERE!!!"

And there were the rest of us cowering back, like we had no reason to suspect that He, God, was crazy about us, and we were yelling right back, "You GO, Moses!!! Talk to God for us. We gotcher back! Waaaaay back!" What a bunch of goobers!

What if we'd crowded up to the fence, pushing and shoving to get closer to the Awesome, the Almighty, the Loving and Generous I AM? Singing and dancing in an ecstasy of delight that the Creator of the Universe had chosen to come right down among US! What wonders of His love and might and wealth and wisdom might He have shared with us that day instead of stopping at 10 basic "Thou shalts" and "Thou shalt nots"?

I think about the children I am raising, and how I feel when they express enthusiasm and thanks vs how I feel when they ask via demanding complaint. Does God feel the same way?

Lots of us on this forum have BIG challenges right now. In my own life there are 5 or more big ones all going on at once, and that's not even counting any sort of search for a second wife. (Who would WANT to join in our "adventures"?) How will I react? How will you?

Will we grumble and complain? Maybe dress it up with a "please pray for me; I'm a goin' through the dark travail of trials"? That's better than keeping shut about it, mind, so we can help bear your burdens.

But what will our own story be like if instead we will yell "God Party! Got a challenge! An opportunity for Him to show Himself strong in my (job, health, kids, marriage, snarky church or relatives) and I just KNOW He's gonna show up RIGHT HERE!!! Come help us celebrate! He's coming! He's COMING!!! Don't miss it!"

"The relatives are breathing threats, trying to be mighty skunks about our beliefs or new family structure. But God's gonna show 'em up for the LITTLE stinkers they are! God Party at our house this weekend! Everybody come help us welcome His salvation! We'll be bringing on the Popcorn in style! He's coming! He's COMING!!! Don't miss it!"

If only we will party! :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sometimes we throw ourselves the wrong kind of party…

Even those of us that know better may find ourselves in the midst of a pity party from time to time…we may just manage to pull ourselves out a little quicker, and not show it as much as we used to, that’s all.

I have a very good friend that often discusses different scriptural topics with me. When he is being tested I remind him that the only thing we get to take with us to heaven is our character… yes… the good work He has started in us that is yet to be completed. Every test we face in life is an opportunity to build our character. We fail most of the tests, and face them time and time again, eventually overcoming them only to face new and improved tests to build our character further.

Not long ago I was overseas and one of the families I visited had a number of questions for me and we had many good talks. Before I left I asked them a question: “What is our purpose for being here? I received blank stares; they were probably just afraid to give a wrong answer… One of the young women had an 8 month old baby. I asked the mother of the child “Would you like to have your baby grow to be 5 years old and then stop growing physically, mentally, and emotionally?” She shook her head and replied “No” picking the child up as if to protect her from a curse. Then I told her “Neither does God want to receive you as an infant.” I explained to them how God is building our character. I am quite certain that the intended beneficiary of the story that day was me, as I often think about that day when I decide to have a little party on my own…

Ecc 2:11 Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun.

Doesn't the other kind sound like more fun?

"My job just ended, and I've no idea what I'm to do next or how I'm to pay the bills or feed this family/tribe! God Party at our house this weekend! I just KNOW God's got an even better job coming, and it's gonna be AWESOME and RIGHT ON TIME! God's gonna show up RIGHT HERE in Toccoa and show Himself strong! Don't miss it! Come party with us. Bunny bread will be served! We'll sing and dance and give thanks! God's coming! WOW! GOD!" *goosebumps breakin' out all over*

vs.

"Ain't got no job no more. God, whatamIgonna DO? It's HOPELESS! Ain't no jobs around here. Didja bring us out here to the wilds of Toccoa to DIE? Hunh? Hunh? Sure looks like a big mistake from here, God. Whatcha gonna DO about it? Hunh? Guess I'd better see if I can find a Bible promise to 'claim'. Maybe You'll do sumpin' for me. *sigh* Will somebody pray for me, please? I've fallen and I can't get up!" *shudder -- depressing to even write*

I've done way too many of the latter. Now I'm giving the other kind a try! Think God might prefer it? ;)

I couldn't agree more...when we come to the realization that the salvation granted to us by His grace is worth more than anything the world has to offer we begin to see things from a different perspective. I am not certain that a party is in order, but if that is what keeps the depression at bay go for it...

Php 4:11-14 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble.

Scarecrow said:
I am not certain that a party is in order, but if that is what keeps the depression at bay go for it...

*grin* A pity party isn't much of a party either, but that is what we choose to call it. Then there are gossip / hen parties where the main topic is complaints of one sort or another. Just seemed appropriate to turn the tables to the most extreme opposite!

Which brought us to "Laugh and the world laughs with you; cry and you cry alone." Pity parties tend to be solitary miserable things. So the extreme opposite, to celebrate God's anticipated victory rather than doom and gloom, ought be joyful, celebrations to which folks might well flock!

Of course, they don't have to be big and public. After the morning I had, I came home a few minutes ago, removed outer clothes, craaaaaaawled into bed and curled up in a ball. So much for instinct and pain.

2 minutes later I decided to have a God party on my bed, all by myself. I sang, waved my arms (I'm just a simple CHARISMATIC Taoist Objectivist Polygynist Seventh-day Adventist sorta Christian, dontcha know! :eek: You theologians among us, untangle THAT! :lol: ), quoted the 23rd Psalm with a bunch of pointed and defiant and hopeful additions of my own thrown in.

And in doing so, drew near to God. Or perhaps He drew near to me. Either way, the devil and his cloud of fear seem to have gotten uncomfortable and mostly left. Evidence? My gums is flappin' again, ain't they? ;)

I stand (trembling but upright) by the following signature block ...

Back