• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Inclined Bed Therapy

Joleneakamama

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Female
I was introduced to this information by family who were thinking about my brother in law who is a paraplegic from an accident about 21 months ago. After looking into it I was convinced there is something to it, and now our entire family is sleeping on a five degree incline.

There are many reported benefits, and it costs nothing to try it.

It's a bit like poly in that people might think you're crazy.....but the benefits could more then compensate for that change in how others perceive you. :)

I watched the most recent interview. There is a link on the home page at http://www.inclinedbedtherapy.com

Sweet dreams everyone.

PS they claim vivid dreams increase when one sleeps inclined. After about a week of IBT I have experienced that, and I definitely like all the changes I feel.

Thanks, Jolene. I went to peek at the site and got a bit more curious, so I read the entire infographic — then listened to the interview (discussion) from 11 Jun 2015, all one hour and 46 minutes of it. Sounds great!

I'm contacting a handy friend about making risers for my bed. Will report back.

Thanks for the enthusiastic feedback mystic. That was the video interview that "sold" me.
I have told everyone I can think of about this, because in this case, you get a lot more then what you pay for......IT'S FREE!!!

Some of the benefits people report experiencing are improvement or eventual elimination of
varicose veins
back pain
snoring
high blood sugar
edema of the legs
acid reflex
migraine headaches
any issue related to circulation
(including erectile dysfunction)
They also report these sort of positive changes
improvements in vision
improved endurance/stamina
overall improved feeling of well being
better sleep.

Some people with chronic degenerative conditions like MS get relief, and more then one person with a spinal cord injury.

That is all I'm going to type on my "stupid phone".....that is what I remember off the top of my head. Oh yeah here are two more.
Night time trips to the bathroom are decreased or eliminated, and it helps children that wet the bed stop.

If you want to know more then CLICK THE LINK!

All ten of us in this family are sleeping on a five degree incline.

I'll post later as we have time to really prove it. It's been about a week.....and we like it!!!

Thanks for this. Our 8-year-old daughter started wetting the bed when we moved up to Alaska last year and we just bought her an organic wool and cotton mattress that just arrived a few days ago. We are building her a tilted bed frame to see if it that helps to decrease or hopefully eliminate the wetting incidents. In the meantime, we are using wool military blankets that we can wash as a pad to protect the new mattress. By the way, for those interested, we got the mattress from mygreenmattress.com. It's a one-sided twin and was less than 500 and shipping was less than 100 up to Alaska. Actually, the company paid for most of the shipping, and shipping is free in the lower 48. The wool is naturally fire retardant and bug repellent so no toxic chemicals such as formaldehyde are required to be sprayed on it.

I have mixed results to report:

• My friend who sometimes props up in bed for easier breathing found that raising the head of her bed by 3 inches helped a bit with that.
  • I've not noticed any benefit. During 2 weeks with the head raised by 6 inches, my tendency to slide down the bed interfered a bit with sleep. Lowering the head to 3 inches mitigated but did not entirely eliminate this.
My friend suggested that I leave the bed at a mild tilt for another month or two, instead of going right back to level, in case there are subtle benefits that take more time to manifest.

Without making a big deal here, I'd like to say the IBT website and testimonials can be misleading if one doesn't keep some things in mind:

• Plenty of people may have tried it and not benefited, and of course they wouldn't be included in the video.
  • A thing isn't magically right just because ancient Egyptians did it in tombs. I don't mean to sound glib — some people do take such views. But if this way to sleep were really generally the better, I do believe there would be ready evidence of it from throughout history and across cultures, and I'm aware of no such evidence.
  • A fellow may sleep well on a beach for reasons other than its slope. (Being on holiday might figure in!) As far as I know, even Pacific island cultures (with plenty of beach experience and access) build flat beds.
  • Attributing flat sleep to the idea that an unqualified "someone" decided it was better and we've all been following blindly ever since seems hardly supported.
  • A given treatment may be useful for someone at a certain time yet not useful at a different time or for a different person. In our Western thinking we like to say, for instance, that herb X is good for symptom Y, and that's rarely quite the reality since the cause of a symptom can vary considerably from case to case.
Inclining the bed is a tool worth having in one's kit. I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying it. Having a footboard might help with sliding-down issues.

Haven't tried this with my bed. But I have always noticed that when sleeping in a tent on uneven ground it is always easiest to sleep with the head up-slope and feet down-slope, while hard to sleep upside down. Just a vaguely related observation.

Without getting into a really long back story I have a bed that raises head and feet at whatever angle you choose and I found that just raising the head did help with sleep issues but I would wake from slipping down, so I raised the feet just a touch and now get great sleep with less snoring and have gotten to 6 to 7 hours of solid sleep again. No notation on dreams, but I am not supposed to dream anyhow with the prescription that the VA has me on so that would be mute but all the rest of the described "help" has been there.

I obviously missed this thread originally - thanks for bringing my attention to it A&J. :)

I haven't slept at an incline on a regular basis, but I will be watching the video to learn more. I do sleep with an incline pillow or in a recliner or on the couch with my body at an incline when I have bronchitis. It seems to help quite a bit. I'll be curious to read/see more about potential benefits.

When I was growing up I had a friend who refused to sleep in a bed. He slept on a mat on the floor with a tiny pillow. He claimed that helped him feel better. I have to admit, that doesn't sound comfortable at all to me right now, but I am sure that is because of my soft modern tendencies.

After a few more weeks I went back to flat sleep and haven't looked back. My friend did the same. Again, I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying it.

We have had our bed inclined for well over a year now. I have to say it helped my back and hips during my last pregnancy.

We did it during my last pregnancy as well. It helped quite a bit with leg cramps. Once baby was born we changed it back though as I found it too uncomfortable and me and the blankets kept sliding down the bed. I was often cold because the blankets had moved too far down.

Our oldest daughter complained a lot about slipping down the bed.

All of us are still sleeping on a 5 degree incline...including the new baby, as I custom made her bed.

I found little things like suspender clips in the store that are made to let one use a flat sheet as a fitted sheet, and those keep the botom sheet from slipping down the mattress. The whole mattress also liked slipping, so I put a strap on it and tied the botom of the mattress to the top of the box spring.....problem solved.
I have no problems with slipping, or sleeping, and plan on sleeping this way indefinitely.
Probably not for everyone....but good for us.

Back