• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Info and Prayers

R

redbeard

Please pray for me as I’m learning what it means to be a better husband and father. (Edited from op)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! I hope you are blessed as you work towards understanding with your wife.
Fornication is a big word. It must take in acts that are not adultery, as that was a death sentence not just "putting away."

I believe it relates to marriages (so called) that were forbidden, (so not lawful in the first place) and it might relate to a woman who is listening to someone not her husband making her foreign to him. Putting her away (out) while hoping for repentance would not be a divorce, and might be acceptable in light of the passage in Matthew.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I finally decided to ask God to give me a second wife, and He revealed to me that I’m not loving my first wife how I should.
I would pause there for a bit longer.

God has told you to love your first wife better. That does NOT mean "persuade her to accept polygamy". That means to actually focus on your existing marriage and love her better.

If you focus on getting a second wife (including persuading your existing wife that that would be ok), you are still distracted from your relationship with her. You have a specific instruction from God that you need to improve your EXISTING marriage. Do not get distracted from what God is telling you to do. Do what He says!

Honestly, many people here have known that polygamy is ok, both husband and wife agreeing on that, and still after years they're monogamous. But the real benefit in studying marriage enough to accept polygamy is that they have improved their first marriage.

I agree with studying marriage with your wife, among other matters - but not to persuade her to agree with you getting another. Study marriage, and then practice it, with her. Become the best husband you can possibly be, to her, without being distracted by the possibility that one day there could be another also.

I think it is most probable that God has led you here firstly in order to improve your existing marriage.
This all being said, I’m not finding any helpful or insightful information on just what exactly “fornication” is.
Fornication is really easy to understand. It is defined in Thayer's lexicon as "illicit sexual intercourse". Illicit means unlawful or illegal.
Fornication is any sexual activity that is forbidden in the Law.
It's a catch-all term for all sexual activity that God disagrees with, including adultery, bestiality, and everything else that is forbidden in scripture somewhere else. This term itself does not define what acts are forbidden, it just refers to the acts that are forbidden elsewhere.
Cant access “Introduction” or “Help,” so I’m posting here.
I'm not sure why that is. You should be able to post in both places. Can you please check this? If you really can't post there I'll look into why.

Yes, I hear you loud and clear on improving my first marriage. That’s primary. I’m not looking for a second wife, nor am I even sure it’s the wisest thing to do for a few reasons. But this doesn’t negate the fact that 1) polygyny is godly, 2) I can still express my desire to God and 3) Simply “go with the flow,” meaning I’m well aware I may never find a second wife, and I’m fine with that. But eventually, I plan to at least say I’ve thought of it “in light of the fact the very idea and desire is scriptural.”

At this point in time, it’s not happening!

Fornication is any sexual activity that is forbidden in the Law.

The 'law' doesn't forbid very much sexual activity these days!

Also, I've understood that fornication includes any consensual sex outside of marriage. The question is whether or not a poly marriage is a marriage and therefore what the couple does is not fornication.

The 'law' doesn't forbid very much sexual activity these days!
By capitalising "Law" I was meaning God's Law, in other words the Mosaic Law / Torah or by maximum extension anything forbidden by God anywhere in scripture. I didn't think any reader would be under the impression that secular law had any relevance to the morality or lack thereof of sexual acts, but I suppose I could have been clearer.

"He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much."

"He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much."

If they'll steal a local election they'll also steal a national election.

Also, I've understood that fornication includes any consensual sex outside of marriage.

This is not accurate. This is never stated in scripture. Also there are specific laws about what a man is to do when it takes place.

Back