• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Interesting conversation at work

Mojo

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I will put it here.

At work today, I was talking with two coworkers. Both are believers. One asked me if my wife and I were planning to have more children. I told him that for various reasons, my wife's factory had been shut down. I then joked and added that unless I found a concubine, there would be no more little Mojos gracing the faces of the earth. They both looked at me a little stunned.

Later in the day, I made sure to go back and talk to them. They are run of the mill evangelical believers with no real counter cultural leanings that I know of. I essentially lamented that we as believers have to feel shame or caution when mentioning things that the scriptures don't blush to mention.

To my surprise, they both said that it was only because of changing cultural differences. One said it must have been the Puritans that made it shameful. The other said that when he reads the NT, he only sees the prohibition for leaders....everyone else is fine to do as they please.

I expected long justifications for the shocked looks earlier in the day. They were mainly shocked that I would dare bring it up, not shocked at the concept.

I wonder just how many average Joe church members would answer so freely if given a private survey. Is there maybe a silent majority?

I wonder just how many average Joe church members would answer so freely if given a private survey
We've had diner with several families from the church were attending right know. There's 2 congregations there. A Messianic congregation and a Pentecostal leaning congregation. After each of the diners our discussions lead to patriarchy and mistranslation or interpretations of scripture. Eventually Polygyny. The comments after that were about them not seeing themselves being able to handle the issues that arise from Polygyny and not any arguement against it. So I would say more than expected.

Yes! This is so normal to me! I sneak polygyny in the mix in conversations with believers and I have never gotten pushback...ever! This is im person. Online I get the same lame worn out arguments against it. Maybe it' cause they have to look at me and see that I'm not a deranged cult leader or something. Lol! But they actually will agree without reservation sometimes which I find curious. It could be a number of factors that this seems to be becoming more common. I suspect the fact that I live in an area with scores of single (might I add many beautiful ) Christian girls in their late twenties and thirties filling our churches and synagogues....yes I bring this up often...hmmm

Yes! This is so normal to me! I sneak polygyny in the mix in conversations with believers and I have never gotten pushback...ever! This is im person. Online I get the same lame worn out arguments against it. Maybe it' cause they have to look at me and see that I'm not a deranged cult leader or something. Lol! But they actually will agree without reservation sometimes which I find curious. It could be a number of factors that this seems to be becoming more common. I suspect the fact that I live in an area with scores of single (might I add many beautiful ) Christian girls in their late twenties and thirties filling our churches and synagogues....yes I bring this up often...hmmm
No ulterior motive....right?

I am just curious. Where would this be?
Lol! Dallas area. I'm friends with several with the whole "all the good men are taken" syndrome. I even have girlfriends that have never been in any type of relationship in their late twenties and early thirties. They are churched and often deeply spiritual and as I said beautiful...which has always confused me to a certain extent.

Lol! Dallas area. I'm friends with several with the whole "all the good men are taken" syndrome. I even have girlfriends that have never been in any type of relationship in their late twenties and early thirties. They are churched and often deeply spiritual and as I said beautiful...which has always confused me to a certain extent.
Don't be confused. Yes, godly, respectable men are a scarcity in the church, but many of the beauties have probably succumbed to unrealistic expectations. They want Prince Charming, Billy Graham, Brad Pitt, and King David all rolled into one. He don't exist.

They want Prince Charming, Billy Graham, Brad Pitt, and King David all rolled into one.
What, huh, somebodies talking about me.:p

Seriously though, It seems like more woman are realising that the Disney Fairytale is unrealistic, but in most cases this is usally much later in life than 20-30s.

I worked with a young believing woman (mid 20s). Several of us went out to lunch. The subject of raising kids and its challenges came up. I joked with her that she had a lot to look forward to. She dryly replied that she had to find a boyfriend first. She is not a bathing beauty, but she isn't repulsive either. She's just a good, young woman with a heart for God and a sweet spirit. 50 years ago, she would be married with those kids already.

Don't be confused. Yes, godly, respectable men are a scarcity in the church, but many of the beauties have probably succumbed to unrealistic expectations. They want Prince Charming, Billy Graham, Brad Pitt, and King David all rolled into one. He don't exist.
Yep, you brought it up before I did! I like what John MacArthur once addessed single women" the messiah has come and gone. Settle."

Like last call at the bar most women settle as they hit their 30's and the ovaries give off alarm bells. The unrealistic expectations need to be dealt with in the teens and early 20's and church needs to strongly encourage early marriage.

People are much more willing to be disagreeable online; it's the internet's favorite pastime. In person they tend to agree in order to get along. Fewer paid trolls in real life as well.

Hmm, should this thread be moved to the private men’s forum? :rolleyes:

Legit question, but I'd say no, leave it here. Nothing personal or private, just solid discourse about the state of our culture.

At this point in our cultural decline, women are their own worst enemies, and that needs to be addressed.

I was sharing at a congregation some months ago and some ladies started asking questions which were leading me down the path to mention polygamy. So I did, holding my breath thinking "here it comes they're gonna hate me now". Instead there were all smiles, giggling, glee, etc.
In the words of Robert Zimmerman, "The times they are a-changing..."

Last edited:
Hey! Speak for yourself. I happen to have an inflated opinion of myself that kinda matches or in some cases exceeds those guys.
Based on your photo, you've got the Brad Pitt down, but I'll have to meet you in person to determine the rest.:rolleyes:

Hey! Speak for yourself. I happen to have an inflated opinion of myself that kinda matches or in some cases exceeds those guys.
I resemble that remark!

(Ok, in my dreams)

Back