• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

introducing SouthernCross

SouthernCross

Male
G'day to all at BF

I'm very glad I've found this site, and that the forum is active and full of Christ-centred, thought provoking conversations. I've snooped around for a few weeks, but am keen to start chatting too!

I'm a married Christian guy with a beautiful, faithful wife and a three kids. I've also never been afraid to follow the forgotten paths of Biblical truth, no matter how much they diverge from orthodox tradition. I've lost a few friends along the way because of that, too. But I consider it an honour to suffer shame on behalf of Christ, and I will continue to lead my family in ways that bring the most glory to our Heavenly Father and his Son, Jesus the Messiah.

You could say I've come to a favourable view of Plural Marriage by beginning from the opposite end to most. That is, a personal situation of the heart has led me to consider polygamy, and then my mind has had to scramble to catch up, by examining (indeed, agonising) over the scriptures in an effort to understand what it is the Lord wants to teach me. I will explain:

My wife and I have a very close friend whom we have known since the very earliest days of our marriage. She is a single mum and a committed Christian sharing many of the same doctrinal views as us, but is very isolated in her faith and has no Christian support (my wife and I have moved away from the city in which we met her). Sometime last year, the three of us made a mutual decision to hold a weekly phone call, which would help our friend receive regular Christian support, prayer, and fellowship. After a few months of this, I began noticing that the emotional reactions I was having to my friends needs were similar - if not the same - to those I have for my wife, AND THE LORD DID NOT CONVICT ME for having these feelings. I didn't really know what to do or think, but it lead me to wonder what the New Testament said about polygamy. I began a fairly intensive search, and found no outright prohibitions against polygamy, except for 1 Timothy 3:2, which I now understand to say, 'the husband of A (ie at least one) wife', which certainly does not preclude having more than one wife. Further studies in the Old Testament confirmed polygamy in a favourable light.

In my thinking then, I began to consider the possibility (it was still pretty strange to my mind, but I was completely at peace in my heart/spirit) that perhaps the best kind of long-term support I could offer our friend was to 'throw my cloak over her' in marriage. Our weekly phone calls continued to strengthen already strong bonds between the three of us, and I know that she and my wife love each other as sisters. I also love her - but not in a Hollywood cliche lustful romantic way, but with a deep love of Christ that wants the very best for her. Anyway, about two months ago, I thought the honourable thing to do - before I let the idea get too developed in my mind - was to share these thoughts with my wife.

It was not well received. Although my wife loves our friend as a sister, she was mortified at my unorthodox ideas and felt hurt, betrayed, etc that I could have thoughts about another woman - even one that we both love as a dear sister. It was tough for a few days, and I instinctively trod very lightly and showed bucketfulls of humility and compassion. I have since read about the 'love-not-force' philosophy and am very glad that I did not try to ram home any arguments from scripture. I know that would have only made my wife feel as if I was using my more developed Bible knowledge to coerce and manipulate her.

Since then our friend has developed a serious illness, and my wife and I would like nothing more than to have her here with us so we can care for her. But moving from one city to another is hard, especially as a single mother.There is now an urgency to her situation, and I feel rather helpless, knowing that my covering as her spiritual head would bring much needed healing - emotional/spiritual as well as physical. I have not brought up Plural Marriage with my wife again, but it is constantly in my thoughts, and I know that it IS God's will for this situation. I have spent my time reading many of the eBooks mentioned on this site (eg, 'Eros made Sacred' by J Wesley Stivers) and making sure my knowledge of Plural Marriage is sound. I trust my Father completely, that in His timing there will be opportunity to lead these two women into the fulness of His plan for our lives.

Hi, SC, and welcome!

You have come to the right place. ;) Peruse the forums, or just start firing questions. We're glad you're here!

Welcome, Southern Cross!

Welcome Southern Cross. Give it to God and let him guide you, your actions and your words. He did not put this in your path not to have a plan for the outcome.

Welcome, hooray, another local! Well, sort-of... :D

Great to have you here, and your feelings are entirely understandable. I pray that your wife can start to understand them also. If she gets to the point where she might be willing to cautiously discuss it with other women (doesn't need to have come to accept it yet, just not be running away from the topic), send her along to the "Tuesday night" ladies chat on this site, for you it will actually be Wednesday morning sometime. If anyone can help her understand that this isn't an entirely terrifying and evil idea it's the good ladies here!

Hi. Just wanted to give you a warm welcome too. It's always nice to find someone else joining up that's not so far away.
I too am praying that your wife will be willing to talk about it. Samuel is right, the ladies chat is great and she can ask as many questions as she wants, but only when she's ready. For me in NZ the chat is at 11.30am on a Wednesday, just to give you an idea of times.
For the moment though, trust God and wait it out.
Good luck my friend.

Dear So. Cross,

I just wanted to say how much our whole family has enjoyed your introductory post. We have a small home fellowship, and I had the pleasure of reading your story to my DH and SW today with enthusiasm. We discussed how proud we are of you for the way you are handling the Great Adventure in which you find yourself!

I am so very grateful for the love-not-force approach my husband took with me, and while it took a few years for me to go from thinking he was getting hoodwinked by Islam, to a very reluctant Isa 4:1 stance that PM was OK due to last days craziness, to a revelatory breakthrough while in Iraq, to being fine with it, and finally to living it, the journey has been worth every step.

We are very, very glad you are "aboard the board," and I hope you do get a chance to spend face-to-face time with the "Following Hims" on the next island over. They are grand folk.

May you find this community a safe place to grow in your new found understanding, and we will be looking forward with anticipation to see how God moves in all of your lives.

Welcome SouthernCross.

Caring for a sister in Christ is very good, however taking the plural marriage bit extremely slowly is my suggestion.

Cheers,

ylop

Thanks all for your warm welcomes and advice. As a few of you have suggested, I fully intend to take things real slow, and only as the Lord leads. A reorientation of life this big is not going to happen overnight (nor do I want it to!) and I'm at peace with however long (ie how many years) it all takes.

alit53 said:
I just wanted to say how much our whole family has enjoyed your introductory post. We have a small home fellowship, and I had the pleasure of reading your story to my DH and SW today with enthusiasm. We discussed how proud we are of you for the way you are handling the Great Adventure in which you find yourself!

Wow alit53 that is very kind of you all. I'd love to hear the full story of your journey one day, especially as it sounds like the initial revelation of PM came to your family through the husband first (like me). Did you have children to usher through that change as well? I'd be interested to know how well/quickly they adjusted, too.

FollowingHims - it is nice to know there are others in this part of the world on the journey too. My wife is a Kiwi and we were married in NZ, so I have plenty of affection for you all over there! Theoretically the ladies chat is at a time that would work. As the Lord wills, hopefully one day my wife will indeed join you there.

Hi SC. Great to hear your story. Dare I say that I have been suffering in silence on a similar situation.

The difference in my case is that I merely mentioned to my wife that polygamy is not unscriptural (after 2 Samuel 12:8 "appeared" to me in a new way). I have (and since not had) any one in mind as a potential second wife in particular.

It has been unbearable. The suspicion, the sly comments etc have been too much.

Now, this is my personal opinion and largely based on my personal experience. If I get to a point where I am persuaded to take a second wife, I will struggle a lot with the concept of love-not-hate. I have two reasons for saying this:

1. None of the fathers in the scripture practiced it.
2. Should the disposition of my wife continue to be what it is towards polygamy, she will rather leave the marriage ( and bitterly ruin all that we have built) than to live in a polygamous relationship.

Given these reasons, my view is that if a man can afford it, a second home should be started for a new wife until a first wife is willing to accept the leading of a man in this situation. The arrangement should be open and made know to everyone (including family and friends).

Yes, the first wife might not have bargained for a polygamous relationship at marriage , but if God is leading a man in a particular way, He is often angry with such a man if they dither in doing His will (regardless of who is influencing them). This move becomes pertinent when a point is reached when a first wife sees clearly that polygamy is scriptural (haven been lovingly taken through the scripture) but refuses to be led by her husband. I see this as an act of deliberate disobedience.

This is my view and I am happy to be corrected. But be gentle.

Please address comments to aklirich in the thread that I created for him. :)

Hello and welcome I was amaze that you have my same last name that so wonderful no we not by any means related I got this name by marrying someone from Tenn and through not fault of mine we are seperated he says he a christian but that to be seen any way God has bless me to find a job and see wonderful people here I just joined and I love it here.blessing Sister Nancy

Back