• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Introduction: Southlander from Northern Idaho

Southlander

Greetings to one and all.

My wife, myself, and our four children live north of Moscow, Idaho. We are not poly married, but this is something that God has had on our hearts to wait on for the better part of 17 years now. Not sure if our calling is to be poly married, or just to be available and willing to minister to those who are.

I am a full time student at the University of Idaho (history major) and an ordained Orthodox Christian priest. My bishop and I recently had a conversation about polygyny in light of the recent court victory of the Sister Wives family. (I follow stuff like that, because my mothers family' are LDS to the 1850's and I am descended from at least two Mormon polygamists.) We both agreed that we needed to have a pastoral response ready at our disposal because we foresee this becoming a broader issue as more Christian poly families come out as such. We want to be ready to meet their needs. He gave his personal opinion that while he wouldn't recommend it, he would not turn someone away because of a poly marriage, either, and if they are truly in love and the marriage is working, why not? This is something I have been praying for for a long time! It is a breath of fresh air for me.

Anyway, I think this might be good start to welcoming poly families (who may have been rejected by their churches or who have to keep things secret, but don't want to) and perhaps I might start a parish one day, if anyone is seriously interested.

In the mean time, I want to introduce myself and get to know other poly and poly-friendly families here on the forum and in the NW US.

Welcome :)

There are so many posts are on here where people have lost their fellowship due to polygyny that this is a refreshing change.

Great thinking being prepared w/answer! And God bless you richly and give you wisdom on how to move forward with this aspect of truth. Welcome and looking forward to hearing how God works in your lives. Welcome to the site!

Why a history major? Do you plan to teach?

JustAGuy said:
Great thinking being prepared w/answer! And God bless you richly and give you wisdom on how to move forward with this aspect of truth. Welcome and looking forward to hearing how God works in your lives. Welcome to the site!

Why a history major? Do you plan to teach?

Thanks, JustAGuy. No, I don't plan to teach. I really want to write historical novels, and wanted to learn how to research history better. I thought about teaching, but my mother was a school teacher, and I don't want to go down that road and college level professors have too much non-sense and politics to deal with. I would not mind working in an archive or museum, but those jobs are pretty rare. There's a long story how I came to be where I am, but as to making a living, I am planning to start a gun smithing business next year.

eternitee said:
Welcome :)

There are so many posts are on here where people have lost their fellowship due to polygyny that this is a refreshing change.

Yeah, I know how that goes! I have left two different denominations because they refused to see the truth and allow me, as a clergyman to welcome those whom God has not rejected. As it stands, our church patriarch in Europe may require us to "keep it quiet" or my bishop may ask me to do that, but at least he does not reject poly and poly friendly individuals and families. It is my sincere hope that I could start a parish and have it attract poly folks and in that way, lead the way to broader acceptance. However, I really need the regular prayer support of others. Without that dedicated prayer support, the stronghold of enforced monogamism will not come down.

So, Southlander. Let me get this straight... You are a priest who is pro-poly, pro-gun, wants to make/mod/fix guns, actually enjoys researching history AND looks to one day start a pro-poly church? And we find all this out on the first page of your Intro..... :shock: :eek:

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!! :lol:

No, seriously, welcome. :D

NetWatchR said:
So, Southlander. Let me get this straight... You are a priest who is pro-poly, pro-gun, wants to make/mod/fix guns, actually enjoys researching history AND looks to one day start a pro-poly church? And we find all this out on the first page of your Intro..... :shock: :eek:

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!! :lol:

No, seriously, welcome. :D

Thank you very much, NetWatchR.

Yes, I am quite a unique bird, aren't I? Part of that is that I was raised Mormon in a long line of Mormons. When I realized just how much I had been told not to question those over me all my life had cost and how much damage it was doing to 15 million others, I determined never to stop questioning everything. I also consider myself a III%er type patriot. The Revolutionary War, the Early Republic period, the Rocky Mountain Fur Trade, and the War Between the States are my major foci historically.

However, my biggest weakness is verbosity. I can get as long winded as a west Texas thunderstorm! ;)

But either way, I am who I am, and I pray that despite all my flaws I might somehow bring God some measure of glory.

Welcome to the family. Glad to have you. I look forward to "hearing" more about your self and also maybe read some of your teachings.

Blessings.

tafamily said:
I am orthodox as well. Never ever did I think I would see a priest on this forum!!!

Well, I imagine the surprise is mutual! ;) I am Western-rite myself. Although I use the Liturgy of St. Gregory, my bishop prefers the Lorrha-Stowe Missal. I'm pretty fond of the Celtic and Russian saints. And you?

Back