• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Has this post helped you to see any idols in your life?

• Yes, in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, recently.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Yes, currently.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No, I was already aware of this.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Clearly a man can desire a wife and pursue her. Clearly that pursuit can also be incorrect and a distraction from God. The question is simply, how do we know what the line is between righteous pursuit and worldly desire? (ie "lust", which refers to far more than just sexual attraction). I think that Scarecrow has a very good point that can help us to see where that line is:
The man is being covetous in that his desire is for the woman not for God who would give him the woman if he asks for her and it is a good thing for him to have.
Yes, it is good to desire a wife, because a wife is a good thing. However, it is far more important to desire to work for God. He has a plan for us for our lives, that involves doing His work - spreading the Gospel, supporting others financially who are doing so, supporting His Church. So why are we desiring a wife?

Personally, I feel that as long as our focus is on wanting a woman simply for the sake of having a woman (e.g. companionship, sexual desire, practical domestic help in ways that would be simply convenient and desirable rather than necessary), then we are at risk of getting distracted from our mission and making a woman / marriage an idol. This way of thinking can cause us to spend hundreds of hours on internet dating websites and the like, taking time we could have been spending on more Godly pursuits.

However, if our focus is on the work that we are doing for God and we desire a woman principally as a helper to achieve a greater purpose, then our focus is correctly on God first and the woman second, and this is a healthy desire. We will still look for her, but only alongside the greater work that we are doing, and as a secondary focus that does not take our eyes off our primary job. And if God intends for us to have her, He will bring her along.

Just looking for a wife is not wrong. Wives are great, nothing wrong with looking for them. But if that's our primary focus in life, we'll be missing something greater. So the search itself is not wrong - but if it distracts us from a greater calling, the distraction is wrong.

I spent years looking for a wife, then I ran into Sarah in an area of life I hadn't been looking, never asked her out, we just both realised we were together when we were still talking at 5am in the lounge of her flat one day because neither of us wanted me to drive home. She was mine, and that was just the way it was! Now I'm not claiming this is how God will provide every single wife, He works in many different ways, and there is nothing wrong with searching. But since He can provide a wife even when we aren't looking, we don't need to make looking our primary focus. Our primary focus must be on Him.

We also need to be careful about the situations we put ourselves in to keep our focus on God. For instance, I know of a man working to bring prostitutes out of the industry in a third-world country and provide them the Gospel and true provision. It would be unwise for a man to work in that area if their focus was on finding a wife (ie either as a single man, or a married man who accepted polygamy), because they would look at every single woman as a potential wife, and would be distracted from the mission by their personal lust - while justifying this with the honest thought that they really, truly, could help these women by marrying them - but could ultimately let their lust take them into an undesirable situation. To work in this area, a man's focus needs to be on the mission first and foremost - and then God may choose to tell them to take one of these women as their wife. Meaning that the ideal worker in that mission may actually be a married man who is an avowed monogamist, who maintains that view until God shoves a woman in his face and the appropriate biblical understanding at the same moment in time. However, a man who knows personally that he could not maintain that focus and avoid temptation, may still be able to help with that mission by supporting it financially - and his focus can be on earning funds to help women he is not dealing with personally. And maybe one day God will bring one of those women to him (e.g., he might prompt her to seek out the donor that supported the mission that rescued her) - but in that case it would be God's doing. Each man needs to be very aware of his own personal abilities AND WEAKNESSES, and then work for God in ways that allow him to maintain a focus on God's work first and foremost.

Last edited:
Thanks for your above comments and in principle I agree that God and his will must be first in our lives. I also agree that to have our sole focus on any one thing is not healthy, in fact it could become an addiction in its own right. The same would apply if our total focus was the pursuit of women with the thought of taking many wives. Sadly I have seen the same thing accomplished by some who have their total focus on "their perception" of God and his will. That is not meant as a personal criticism at any level toward any one on this site, however I have met some, lets say interesting people over the years that have lost the ability to reason on the scriptures due to a closed mind and a relentless pursuit of their "personal" understanding of God's will.

Just had a couple of thoughts on the matter of the pursuit of a wife.
King Solomon; in the Song of Solomon it is noted that he already had 140 wives (60 queens and 80 concubines) and now he is in pursuit of yet another. Now we understand that his conduct could not be wrong as this forms part of the inspired word of God (2 timothy 16-17) and we could say that due to the fact that he did not end up taking her as a wife God never "brought her to him" but the fact remains that he did desire to take her as a wife and the account is part of the bible and is at no time censured, thus not against gods will. Solomon got into trouble when he took other wives from the surrounding nations, wives that worshiped other gods as these led him into the worship of those same false gods.
When it comes to Gods will for us, one thing that is consistent through scripture is the requirement not to serve or follow other gods. That being the case and in view of the fact that Christendom is saturated with teachings that lead others to follow the will of false gods, should not more focus be placed on exposing such teachings. One of the key reasons that we (my wife and I) accepted the belief in polygamy was due this very fact. But polygamy is only one aspect, there are many more false teachings out there that also need to be exposed, otherwise how will those with an honest heart ever get to see what is acceptable before God and what is actually worship of a false god?
A belief in Polygamy would appear to be the cohesion that holds this this group together and yet even within the group there seems to be a large variant of thought on many matters. That being the case, could it be possible that people do pursue the will of God in their personal lives but in this forum, Polygamy and the pursuit of a wife is the predominate subject, for belief in that one subject is universal within the membership. Thus perhaps the presentation given by members may be a fixation in the area of polygamy, but that may not be the case in each members personal life as some of the conversations are indeed in depth and based on firm conviction or belief in one area or another. Yet the site and the common thread is indeed polygamy.

However, if our focus is on the work that we are doing for God and we desire a woman principally as a helper to achieve a greater purpose, then our focus is correctly on God first and the woman second, and this is a healthy desire. We will still look for her, but only alongside the greater work that we are doing, and as a secondary focus that does not take our eyes off our primary job. And if God intends for us to have her, He will bring her along...but if it distracts us from a greater calling, the distraction is wrong
Then there's this:
But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spareyou. But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none;...He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord:...But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, howhe may please his wife...The unmarriedwoman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in bodyand in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, howshe may please her husband...Nevertheless he that standeth stedfast in his heart, having no necessity, but hath power over his own will, and hath so decreed in his heart that he will keep his virgin, doeth well...So then he that giveth her in marriage doeth well; but he that givethher not in marriage doeth better.

Paul seemed to think a wife/husband is more of a distraction to the Lords work. He encouraged marriage when two people could not hold their burning passions, not as a way to be a better minister.

What of children? Should married couples not desire children? Is that coveting? Talk about distraction! Just with one, the ability of any woman to serve God to her utmost is severely strained. Fathers are affected to a lesser degree just by the fact that they don't produce milk. I guess there goes the whole "be fruitful and multiply" argument because it will distract us and lead us into idolatry and covetousness.

Back