• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Is Intimacy SAFE ???

CecilW

Real Person
Male
In another forum, to which we "outies" are not supposed to respond, a bewildered lovely pondered why it is that men tend to be growly when they first arrive home from work. Although I couldn't respond there, the question has been on my mind, and seemed worthy of at least a hypothesis in answer. Here goes ...

Official Non-Doctrinal Hypothesis of the Day:

It occurs to me that, just as there is an opposite of Love (Hatred? Indifference? Fear?), so there might be an opposite of Intimacy.

Further, I hypothesize that Competition is the opposite of Intimacy, because if one offered truly intimate self-revelation to one's competitors, one would have no way to tell if the same had been offered in return, and thus there is just cause for fear of having given away a key advantage.

Now we've all heard that men and women are created and hard wired different in our thinking. We've also heard that men tend to look outward at the world, which they are supposed to conquer (in some small way), while women tend to look inward, by nature, to the home, nesting, nurturing. All well and good.

Could the simple truth be that a man (generally) lives in a competition mindset all day while attempting to conquer his small corner of the world, then comes home and has to re-boot his thinking into the safe, nurturing mindset before he can engage in emotional intimacy? And since they are 180 degrees apart, that is both confusing to him and takes some time? Maybe he even doesn't do too well at it?

Ooo, ooo! What if this is one of the causes of breakdown in the family? In the past, one (or more) member(s) of the family at least spent most of their day in their nature of nurture, and understood that hubby was crossing into unfamiliar territory when he tried to do so of an evening, after a day of competition. What if nowadays, women work but often at jobs where nurture or teamwork is valued, then come home to slip into their true nature but, since they have little difficulty slipping back from the foreign to the natural, they are finding it harder to understand why fellas can't make the same transition, in the same direction, across the same line, 'cause it involves us slipping from OUR natural into the foreign (but oh! so desperately needed).

Solution? Dunno. Ask Sir BumbleBerry! He's the smarty-pants around here!

Anyway, there's a theory for the day.

Hummmm :?: If I understood you correctly Cecil are you saying the problem is that when a man is out in the world and he comes back into the home he has a struggle in shifting gears from "work/competition" to the sphere of "intimacy/love"?

Am I understanding your proposal correctly?

If so I would imagine this could be a problem as it is a general problem of people being able to shift gears emotionally and mentally quickly.

Furthermore, it might then be an issue of also seeing those in his home sphere as competing with him instead of being for him as true helpmates. If that is true then we are back to Dr. Eggerichs position on "Love and Respect." His thesis has been for some time that marital tensions boil down to this one basic fundamental. The man needs respect and he reads love through respect. The woman needs love and feels love through intimacy and acts of such. He then addresses the catch 22 syndrome where he says when respect is not there the man feels unloved and is cold and then the woman feels unloved and the respect is not there and they live in a vicious cycle.

If the man feels as if the people in his family do not truly look up to him and respect him then he may remain in competition mode in order to try and fight for respect. Thus his intimacy/love mode is less than what is desired.

Just my thinking if I am understanding your proposal correctly.

My brother-in-law used to commute an hour each way to and from work. He used that time to "decompress" so that he could leave his work at work and enjoy his family while with them. I believe that each of us needs some time to decompress. For me, a huge hug when I walk in the door is wonderful (as long as I have been able to put my stuff down) and helps me to say "Hey I am home." Likewise the dogs jumping up on me with joy at the idea that their family is all home, fills me with joy because I am so loved and wanted.

But not all people adjust this way. Some need a bit of quiet time before they are ready to be a part of the family. Some people have high stress jobs that make it harder to just drop it at the front door. There is an old ritual that Jewish people used, where they touched the leaves of a tree (I may be mixing this up) and leave their burdens on the tree when they walk through the door. The ritual seems to be that the person is acknowledging that they have left the world behind and are entering their castle.

I would think that it could become a custom in a home that if a husband is growly when he first walks in the door, that the wife(s) leave him alone for a prescribed length of time so that he can "put on" his husband attitude. Then he may be less growly and more affectionate after 15 or 20 minutes of decompression time.

SweetLissa

Yup. You understood the hypothesis, Keith.

And the corollary is correct as well. I forgot to write it out. That if the man knows that at home he's still having to compete for headship, then just when does ANYONE realistically think he's going to switch into truly intimate mode?

Just as God has written His law in people's hearts to the degree that even those who don't know Him have some inkling of love, so He has written into men's hearts to understand that they have a natural prescribed place in the home, and that all is NOT well if they are having to compete to maintain it.

And competition is the opposite and antithesis of intimacy.

It occurs to me that, just as there is an opposite of Love (Hatred? Indifference? Fear?), so there might be an opposite of Intimacy.
outimacy? :D

hmmm,
looks like sir g. bumbleberry got to this thread first.

i, and i think that a lot of men, view providing for our families about the same as going to war for our families each day. as dave ramsey puts it, it is our job to go out there, kill something and drag it home to feed our families with.
we view the home as a haven from that stress. sorry, but that is our mental image. when we get home we want to immerse ourselves in the nurturing atmosphere that we envision our home to be. the stresses of the home can be handled a little later. envision a norwegian steam bath in which the body gets so warmed up and fortified against the cold that a roll in the snow is actually invigorating, rather than debilitating as it would be without the steam bath.
if we have put our wives under the same bondage to provide for the family as we are under, then we cannot expect them to provide us the nurturing that we would like to have when we get home.

i know that this was not your point, cece, but i just made it all up and wanted to throw it out there. :D

CecilW said:
Could the simple truth be that a man (generally) lives in a competition mindset all day while attempting to conquer his small corner of the world, then comes home and has to re-boot his thinking into the safe, nurturing mindset before he can engage in emotional intimacy? And since they are 180 degrees apart, that is both confusing to him and takes some time?

Bingo! :D
This is exactly what it is.
It can be the same for women, too. When my mother would come home from work, she did not appreciate being barraged by us kids asking questions and wanting her immediate attention. She needed some time to relax and shift gears first.

Blessings,
Fairlight

Back