• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Is Isa 4:1 Coming?

CecilW

Real Person
Male
Isa 4:1 said:
In that day seven women will take hold of one man and say, "We will eat our own food and provide our own clothes; only let us be called by your name. Take away our disgrace!"
Some read this verse and see a Biblical justification for PM.

Others read it along with the preceding verses, and see a dire prediction of a time when men will reject women for their attitude until it reaches the point where women are this desperate.

With the latter viewpoint in mind, I read a quote posted on facebook this morning. Some of it sounded like gobbletygood, but it was just interesting enough to spark a bit of 'figure it out' interest. It said:
It is the MGTOW who will ultimately destroy the Female Imperative society by removing its foundations. The traditionalists tend to allay the destructive effects of the irrational while the hedonists exacerbate them. This is why the MGTOW incorrectly tend to look on the traditionalists as white knights and useful idiots in the service of the Female Imperative. They erroneously conflate the traditionalists who are simply doing what they have always done with the feminized Church and the female-biased State.

By withdrawing their services, their seed, their paternal support, and their economic surplus from the women and children of society, they render that society unsustainable. They are responding rationally to the disincentives which that society has presented them. Theirs is a perfectly legitimate response to a society gone mad. More than that, their response is a necessary one, it is part of the pendulum swing that is required before society can return to sanity and stability.
"Hmmmmm," I thought. "What on earth is an MGTOW? Never heard of it before."

Google led me to MGTOW.COM - Men Going Their Own Way where I read, in part:
You may have heard of the marriage strike, in which large numbers of men are boycotting this rotten institution - either consciously or unconsciously, it does not matter. They're still out.
Why? Because of the perceived cultural and legal hostility towards men. In this view, all power is perceived as belonging to a woman, once a marriage is contracted and/or children are conceived. Men are treated as mere money producing slaves.

Whether or not it has had a past fulfillment, it sounds like the stage is rapidly being set for Isaiah 4:1 to come true.

I think it is a legitimate question to ask why men are feeling this way. They feel powerless and replaced.

I never knew freedom and responsibility in marriage until I learned about Biblical plural marriage. If more men truly understood what God's purpose in marriage was, more men would seek marriage.

Doc

Some read this verse and see a Biblical justification for PM.

Others read it along with the preceding verses, and see a dire prediction of a time when men will reject women for their attitude until it reaches the point where women are this desperate
I do not see that there is a need for a biblical justification for poly, although this verse was the door through which I first saw that poly is more than just in the past tense.

as far as the second statement, the assumption is made that the women are desperate. maybe it is not desperation, but the realization that there are so few quality men available that it is wiser to be a part of a larger family with a proven leader. as opposed to taking a chance on a possible loser.
that is why I have long felt that the reason that they volunteer to support themselves is because he is already doing a good job of taking care of more than one wife and the family finances are stretched to the max. they see his expertise in leadership and find it attractive.

just my thoughts :)

steve said:
as far as the second statement, the assumption is made that the women are desperate. maybe it is not desperation, but the realization that there are so few quality men available that it is wiser to be a part of a larger family with a proven leader. as opposed to taking a chance on a possible loser.
that is why I have long felt that the reason that they volunteer to support themselves is because he is already doing a good job of taking care of more than one wife and the family finances are stretched to the max. they see his expertise in leadership and find it attractive.
You could be right. But what of the hair cut off, and the proud beauty turned to shame at the end of chapter 3? SEEMS to fit better with the other interpretation.

I think that we are in agreement that this section of scripture is talking about a change of heart, a turnaround of attitude from a self centered way of looking at life to a YHWH-centered walk.
But what of the hair cut off, and the proud beauty turned to shame at the end of chapter 3? SEEMS to fit better with the other interpretation
do you find any thing that is not already present today? I am sure that it can (and probably will) get much worse, but could it not happen at this present time?
"a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"?

frankly, I am wondering at the word "interpretation". what is actually being interpreted? do the statements need interpretation, or do they stand as statements of fact? it seems to be about the attitude of the women. is the part about the men rejecting them being read into the fact that seven women are choosing one man, or did I miss something?

as I see it, the judgment of the women is just a subset of the judgment of YHWH's people, for which men must take the ultimate responsibility anyway.
ouch

Back