• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Is keeping fit part of our responsibilities as believers?

pebble

Hello.

Seems like every major character in the OT is fit and active. There's one mention of a morbidly obese guy but he was disembowelled.

I often imagine Abraham as a sinewy old guy (like Clint Eastwood is now) and David, well, like Michaelangelo's statue.

Re: Is keeping fit part of our responsibilities as believers

No. Christianity isn't about weight loss. You can certainly be obese and follow Christ.

It's a good idea to be fit, very wise in fact for many reasons. But that doesn't mean it is necessary as a religious duty.

Maybe. Certainly FollowingHim is right about it being Wisdom, and Proverbs makes it clear we should seek out Wisdom, and live it. Obviously there's a lot of other 'Wisdom' that many Christians ignore. It's not a salvation issue, of course, but may bring it's own rewards.

Being a good (or bad) steward of your own 'temple' can be a sign of being a good (or bad) steward in other things. This is why Christians didn't smoke when I was growing up. Overeating is the new smoking. I'm trying to quit completely (Overeating, not eating. Or smoking. I quit that as a 10-year-old, after 5 puffs.)

Thanks sirs. I'm not really concerned about weight loss or abs, simply in being fit like able to walk for distances or do our daily activities without too much exertion. I know the majority of us are not sheep herders anymore. :D

But IF there is a tribulation before salvation, then being fit seems like an advantage to endure until the end time?

Aside from the body being God's temple and must be treated accordingly.

I also tried smoking in my early teens. Fortunately, it didn't agree with me. Turned out I had asthma. :)

I think this is an interesting topic, and I tend to lean toward believing that keeping fit is part of being good stewards of our bodies. That said, I am a horrible example of this right now.

I think the real challenge is when becoming fit becomes an idol. How many folks out there have time to go to the gym, but do not have time to read and study the Bible?

Good point, aineo. A question of priorities that should not be lost sight of. Having said that, it seems to me that fitness - physical and spiritual - is fundamentally important.

JayJ said:
Good point, aineo. A question of priorities that should not be lost sight of. Having said that, it seems to me that fitness - physical and spiritual - is fundamentally important.
Completely agree, and walking needs to be just the starting point.

Yes as much as reasonable possible, keeping our temples in decent shape is good even for a clearer mind.
I always wonder why so many don't think about that. We all could imorove that.
Our bodies are our creator's anyways and us just stewarts. We are his portable tabernacles. Contrary to what society says, they are God's..

Anything can become an idol.. If abused.
Also, not every one can stay thin. There thyroid issues, sickness etc.. We just do our part. Our temple is where He meets us.

Last edited:
My father is putting me to shame in this area right now. He has decided fitness is important, started bicycling everywhere (as in 40km journeys sometimes), then started watching videos of elderly men doing gymnastics, and now he's installed gymnastics rings at his place and ours... While I am having to avoid physical exertion because it makes my head play up, he's trying to get strong enough to do a human flag. I have some catching up to do. But at least the fear that my kids' grandad could get fitter than their father provides excellent motivation to try and avoid that embarrassment!

It is a very worthwhile pursuit for a Christian, particularly in the difficult times the world is going through. Joshua 14:10-11

I agree. Fitness is important as well as self discipline. Gluttony is as much a sin as drunkenness. I have recently been able to begin working out again after a couple of years of lower back pain. I'm not down to my target weight yet, I have about 7 lbs left to go but have lost 12 lbs in the last month.

Last year on a visit to my last remaining grandparent, my grandfather was still able at 82 yrs old to split wood! Pretty tough old guy.

Back