• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Is there a Bible story of a man or a patriarch spanking his wife or wives?

anioko1

How do you tell a man practising polygyny that wife or wives spanking isn't God's ideal plan and there aren't examples in the Bible? Or am I wrong? I also feel that those practising polygyny should be the ones showing better examples to the world. Am I wrong to think so? How would you advise a man using the Bible and get him to see the pain he is causing his wife?

Apologies if this sounds more like me forcing my views and already determining that this isn't Biblical but I would love to hear the perspectives of men and women on this, from the scriptures. Thank you.

The Bible is not specific about it, and I would prefer that we remain the same.

The proverbs encourage physical discipline of sons (Proverbs 3:11-12, 13:24, 19:18, 22:15, 23:13-14, 29:15-17 & Proverbs 20:30 is an interesting one, although not associated specifically with sons).

Elders can sentence guilty persons up to 40 lashes and no more (Deuteronomy 25:1-3).

Servants/Slaves can also be physically punished (Exodus 21:21-22).

These verses had to do with caning and flogging, practices much more severe than spanking. No verses condemn physical discipline of a wife. Inversely, no verses encourage it.

How do you tell a man practising polygyny that wife or wives spanking isn't God's ideal plan and there aren't examples in the Bible? Or am I wrong? I also feel that those practising polygyny should be the ones showing better examples to the world. Am I wrong to think so? How would you advise a man using the Bible and get him to see the pain he is causing his wife?

Apologies if this sounds more like me forcing my views and already determining that this isn't Biblical but I would love to hear the perspectives of men and women on this, from the scriptures. Thank you.
Off course, they aren't any.

What would Lord require historical record of woman being so shamed?

How do you tell a man practising polygyny that wife or wives spanking isn't God's ideal plan and there aren't examples in the Bible?

I don't need the bible to justify that physically abusing someone isn't what God wants. Unless it's some kink both share, it's abuse/assault.

How do you tell a man practising polygyny that wife or wives spanking isn't God's ideal plan and there aren't examples in the Bible?

Matthew 18:15-17

15 “If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses. 17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

The proverbs encourage physical discipline of sons (Proverbs 3:11-12, 13:24, 19:18, 22:15, 23:13-14, 29:15-17 & Proverbs 20:30 is an interesting one, although not associated specifically with sons).

Elders can sentence guilty persons up to 40 lashes and no more (Deuteronomy 25:1-3).

Servants/Slaves can also be physically punished (Exodus 21:21-22).

These verses had to do with caning and flogging, practices much more severe than spanking. No verses condemn physical discipline of a wife. Inversely, no verses encourage it.
I have discussed this at length with some who strongly support the practice of CDD

@Michael Moon lays it out in a way that is pretty clear cut to me. YAH is specific in how to discipline specific persons for specific infractions and the fact that a wife is not ever in the same way directly referred to speaks volumes in itself.

@MeganC put it perfectly...
Matthew 18:15-17

15 “If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses. 17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

Also...
The Bible is not specific about it, and I would prefer that we remain the same.
I to a degree understand some other restrictions, however, isn't the matter of CDD whether wrong or right an issue that would be quite an important issue to discuss between men who are heading biblical families coming from many different cultures to get this right according to scripture?
Or is this a topic that has already been hashed out on here to the nth degree ?

The problem is that the Bible doesn't actually discuss it, really. So there's only so far that you can go scripturally.

What we do have is clear admonitions for husbands to love their wives, and treat their wives as they treat their own bodies. That completely precludes any behaviour that would clearly be abusive, like assault causing injury. So anything the world would be worried that we could be condoning, is forbidden, and there is nothing to be concerned about.

What is left to discuss lies in a grey area of not-forbidden-but-also-not-wife-beating-abuse. Different couples may interpret what is right differently in that grey area, but it doesn't matter if it's not abusive and is loving. Sexual kink for instance is fine, if it spins your wheels. But as scripture doesn't address it, we can't really find scriptures that give us guidance on the detail of this.

Back