• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Is There Room At The Cross For ME?

CecilW

Real Person
Male
... or Why Is It IMPORTANT To Study PM?

(The following was first written in 2000 after several months of being alone ...)

For many Christians, those who are uninterested in plural marriage and perhaps haven't run "afoul" of it, a presentation on PM must begin with justifying the topic for study. The questions must be asked and answered:
** Why is this topic of relevance to us as Christians?
** Why should I spend my time on it?
**Does it have any bearing on my own Christian experience?
** More explicitly, does it have any bearing on the subject of Salvation?
** If not, then I don't want to be bothered! It is merely vain argument which we are told to avoid, and for which I have no time nor interest in the press of my busy life.

It is a valid set of questions and a valid objection. I'd like to compile a number of, hopefully, compelling reasons why this topic is serioous, is valid, and does impact on both our lives as Western Christians, and also on our spiritual understanding. What follows is one reason that calls to me. Comments ARE solicited. *grin*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there REALLY room at the Cross for me?

We're told (Eph 5 and elsewhere) that earthly marriage is a model which provides for us an example and laboratory in which to gain an understanding of God's relationship to us. We are to learn lessons from marriage which can be applied to the relationship between humans and The Divine.

Looking around us at society as it exists right now, looking at demographics and the ratio of men to women, this becomes troubling, for one of the lessons in a monogamous society is that there is NOT a husband for everyone. Many women who want to be in a marriage, who NEED to be in a marriage, who EARNESTLY DESIRE to be married, are left out due to simple logistics -- more women than men.

I've been married my whole adult life but suddenly, due to a separation, am experiencing single life. Believe me, all those complaints about how single people feel left out? About how church and society is geared for married folks? They're true, every one!

Monogamous-as-imperative thinking means that some are inevitably left out, regardless of their desire to be part of a family. What happens when I apply THAT lesson to the spiritual realm?

Let me ask: Do I have just cause to fear? Is it possible that there WON'T be room at the Cross for me? Is there some quota which cannot be exceeded, and may I just plain miss out? One too many? Doomed to live whatever life I can manage alone? Is it possible that I may earnestly seek to be part of the family of God, one of the brides of Christ, but never hear a loving word of acceptance from Him because there are just too many?

Won't someone please tell me? Is there REALLY room at the Cross for ME?

Equally horrible to contemplate, might I be accepted, slip under the wire, but because of this quota might someone else, equally hurting, equally in need of the saving Husbanding of Jesus, be left out because a snagged the place that could have been theirs, and I just got lucky? How horrible, how intolerable to carry that weight through eternity!

Oh, please God, is there room at the Cross for EVERYONE?

I can't even write this without sobbing. Even the thought of these implications tears me apart inside. If it were true, how could I bear to face eternity knowing that someone I love got left behind due to quota? Someone I love so well that I would have gladly exchanged my place to give them the chance at eternity? A spouse? A son? A daughter? Parent? Grandchild? Sibling? How could I bear it?

The answer, if I can calm my heart back down, is that there IS room at the Cross for everyone. God's family order makes a place for EVERYONE. There is NO QUOTA! No-one need be left out.

Oh, thank you, Jesus! There IS room at the cross for me! And for EVERY member of my family. (I pause again to sob my thanks.) There's room for every one of us. He has received us joyfully and given us the task of seeking and bringing even more to join His Family as well.

Which brings us full circle back to earthly marriage, and how it depicts the love that Christ has so richly bestowed upon us all.

Somehow the Christian's model of marriage HAS to depict this aspect of God's kingdom, else it portrays a FALSE image to the world.

As there is a place in the family of God for every human being in the role of bride, so our concept of Godly marriage must somehow make a place for every woman, whether each one seeks such a place for herself and enters marriage or not. Our theology on this topic MUST make a place for every woman, if we are to accept, without reservation, that there is room at the cross for each one of us.

Christ-centered, patriarchal, plural marriage does, in theory, do exactly that. With that in mind, the topic deserves, nay demands, our careful consideration.

Cecil,

That was beautifully written from the heart. I appreciate this type of writing. That is the way my brain is wired to understand things. I was looking for something to base a study on regarding my new found belief in PM. Your post gave me food for thought.

I think we are the only ones not in Vegas this weekend. :D

Blessings,
Michelle

Unfortunately, I am not in Vegas this weekend either. But I do have an amazing amount of work to do for school and to prepare for hubby's arrival home. So why am I sitting on my butt watching tv?

SweetLissa

Hey Cecil,

As always it's good to hear from ya! :) I know that I've always learned something new when you post. I do appreciate your shared Godly insights and experiences in this life we all journey in. Your heart just flows through your written words and into our hearts, and gives my mind something new to chew on each time. This particular post seems to touch on many levels, many things that my heart has been pondering! Thanks for helping to put some issues at ease, as I can easily skate off into "over-drive at times, it does help to ease my mind & cool my jetts, so to speak!" :lol: I'll have to have this one be a keeper and refer to it, when I feel myself winding up again!

Btw, hope there's room for us all at the cross one day! So hey, lets all do our best to Keep on Keepin on with Yeshua, family & friends, finding joy for the journey! :)

Warm Wishes for Yeshua's Provisions of Wisdom & Blessings!
Faithful Servant

Faithful Servant said:
Btw, hope there's room for us all at the cross one day!

Isn't that just the JOY of it? We were ALL designed and intended to be saved (2 Pe 3:9 + Ro 8:29,30,), whether we respond to the call or not. In this age of uncertainty, with men's hearts literally failing them for fear, this is a certainty.

And our message about Biblical Families, including PM, is MORE than a message of male privilege and dominance, as so many suggest. (Of course, it's actually not about that at all!) It IS a message with relevance to salvation. There is a place for EVERYONE. No quotas. There IS room at the cross for every last one of us, with the only remaining sorrow being for those who refused to come and thus lost out.

This understanding comforts me on so many levels.

Wow Cecil,

Another Spiritual Home Run so to speak! That last post of yours sums it all up for me, and is exactaly what I've been trying to share about on so many levels! Your much better at getting to the point, as I tend to get a little wound up and come up with a million ways to say the same thing. I guess that's when my points/thoughts get lost in translation! :lol: I need to learn to temper and gather my thoughts when I truly feel that Yeshua has laid something on my heart, so as not to offend or lecture. As a Christian I realize that it's not my place to do so. But I do feel strongly that women of God can also join in on the honor & responsibility of "Sharpening iron with iron," in a Christ honoring and respectful way of course. ;)

Btw I do understand, realize and believe that Yeshua's plans do in fact leave room for all of us at the cross. I was just making a simple point to help keep us all humble & thankful for what Yeshua has already done for us, and to remind ourselves to not take His Awesome sacrifice & gift for granted. Again this reminder was mostly for myself as well. ;)

Thanks much for the points of true biblical patriarchy according to Yeshua's version of it, as it reminds me of my place as a Christian women, Submissive wife/helpmeet that Yeshua calls me to be, all within Yeshua's plans and guidelines for it all. Funny how man made traditions/thought processes, can even creep into Yeshuas plans for thoes issues as well. Love Yeshua and His Awesome gift and plan for our lives, our families that we've been blessed with - either mono or plural, Love for God's people - both lost & found, and Love for our brothers & sisters in Christ who are still in the darkness regarding pm. May we surround them in Love, loving our neighbors as ourselves, while we have a reason to defend the faith and the Truths of Biblical pm. Covering them in Godly love and in His gentle Wisdom, nurturing and direction. Through prayerful support and friendly open discussions and study should the opportunities for that arise. :) Take care Cecil, and continue on the path Yeshua has you on, seeking His will and joy for the journey!

TO YESHUA BE THE PRAISE, HONOR & GLORY!

Faithful Servant

I PRAY THAT I BE NOT A HINDRANCE!
PROVERBS 3:5-8 :)

Back