• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

It is not about sex!!!

I could not agree more - sex is a natural need which we are entitled to fufill. I'm not sure exactly what God's thoughts are on the subject as they are sooo many different versions of the bible, and of course each saying/quote can be interpreted 10 different ways (one of the reasons I don't study the Bible or go to to Mass (Catholic over here.)) But yes, sex is a need and something we enjoy doing, and polygamy makes it all the more easier for the man. But honestly, I don't think it makes it any easier for a woman. Then again I wouldn't know because I don't share my boyfriend with anyone.
Sara

Hi, I guess I am a little late in respons to this forum because I rarely ever come on this site,etc. In response to the things said in this paragraph about there being so many versions of the Bible, I have this conviction from GOD and I believe HE has helped me to know this truth and it is this: for those who are concerned about there being so many different versions of the Bible, now it will be simplified for everyone and this is that truth: that there is only ONE BIBLE!
Only one! One GOD! One WORD! One GOD! One Bible! And it is the King James Version only!
Not the new king james version! GOD said that heaven and earth wood pass away but HIS WORD will never pass away.
There is only one Bible that has been unchanged and its the old King James
Once I discovered the information that help reveal this truth, it pointed to certain verse's in the King James that states how it is the only true WORD of GOD and I also learned that other Bibles change the meaning of some verse's and remove some verse's out of context and then I looked in my translated version that I was reading and sure enough, their I seen the twisted verse's and at least one verse missing in one area hindering the reader from fully understanding the context! This is serious stuff and I will give the info on where to find the resources to learn about all this truth, you can go on www.tpgh.org and on one of the sections you will find a booklet that has something to do with GOD having one book and I also recomend that you write to them and ask for a whole list their resources and in there will be more info about the King James Bible and more.
You can also go to dial-the-truthministries at www.av1611.org to learn more.

Also to you Sara if you are out there, I want to say this to out of love and concern for a fellow person, you make it sound that you are a catholic and that you don't study the Bible, well I tell you the truth that you have to brake free from catholicism and ask JESUS CHRIST into your heart and believe in HIM and recieve the HOLY SPIRIT and obey HIM for your Salvation and then study the King James Bible and it will come alive to you.
catholicism does not teach the truth that JESUS CHRIST is the only way to Salvation.
As you persue a relationship with JESUS CHRIST, in time HE will reveal GOD's thoughts about sex, and believe me, their pretty amazing!
and Sara I recomend that if your boyfriend is just your boyfriend and not your husband and if you are ingaging in sexual relations before marriage, then you need to repent and give your lives to CHRIST and seek HIM if marriage is right for the 2 of you,etc.
A person will never know the deep powerful levels of sex until they have recieved JESUS CHRIST as their personal LORD and SAVIOUR.
Sex is to be an expression of true love and there is no love like the LOVE of JESUS CHRIST and when that starts expressing itself in a marriage, well, can you say HEAVEN ON EARTH!!
these are things that satan and his foes don't want people to know about, but if GOD be for us, then who can be against us! Amen.

GOD Bless you all
karl

Every version of the bible has been translated by men. There is no absolutely perfect translation which is why such intelligent men such as hang out in our forums actually have stuff to argue about.

To get the true meaning of God's word, you have to work so much harder than just picking up the KJV and reading it. You can even study it in the original languages and still have differences in interpretation.

Sweet Lissa

Hello Jay C, in response to your question about what I stated earlier about "when I looked in my translated version" When I say translated version, I mean a Bible, one other than the King James Bible, sorry for a lack of better wording, I should of wrote "the new living translation"
That is the Bible I was reading up until I discovered the truth about the King James,etc.
That Bible purposely left out John 5 verse 4 how it tells that an angel came and stirred up the water in pool and that is why there was healing power in the water to heal the people,etc.

Yes I do believe the King James is translated and it is the most accourite one to, GOD made sure of that, But it is not easy reading, and takes extra effort to understand, But with the help of the HOLY SPIRIT and tools like a concordance, greek/ hebrew lexicons, etc it can be learned.

To all of you out there, I want to say that I am not trying to start conflict with what I said about the King James Bible or anything else I say, I am simply passing on the truth that I have learned and I am not giving my opinion and no one should pass a judgement on what I said without first asking the HOLY SPIRIT to help reveal the truth and getting the resource's that I gave contact info to earlier in this forum, When someone has done all that and has the truth laid out in front of them, then one can decide if they want to believe truth or not.
This is what I did and it sort of fell in place for me at the right time by DIVINE DESIGN.
I am not some great Bible scoller that has all the answers, I am just trying to help people know the truth.
What would God say to me if when HE reveals truth to me that can help me and the body of CHRIST and I just keep it all to my self? That would be self-ish! Not good.
One can ask his or her self this question, which Bible would GOD want me to live by: the Bible that is the true WORD OF GOD or the Bible's that only contains some of the WORD OF GOD mixed with the enemys mistranslation. What did satan do in Genisis3:4 he twisted the WORD OF GOD and adam and eve fell for it and that is what he is doing in the corrupt Bibles of this day and age.
But don't just take my word for all this, seek the LORD with all you got and get the resource's I pointed to and decide for yourself.

Mathew 4:4 But HE (JESUS) answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every WORD that proceedeth out of the mouth of GOD.

GOD Bless you all
karl.

My elder gave me a book entitled How Did We Get the Bible, published by Barbour Publishing 2009, ISBN 978-1-60260-363-9. He is a KJV guy all the way. I prefer NIV, so I think we both learned alot from reading this book.

It is a quick read only six chapters:
1) God's transmitters - the People Who Wrote the Bible, 2) How God Has Preserved His Written Word, 3) The Compilation of the Canon of Scripture, 4) The Work of Translating the Bible, 5) Johannes Gutenberg's Contribution to Bible Distribution, and 6) The King James Verion and Other Modern Translations.

I read the book in a couple of hours and, it answered lots of questions for me in laymen terms.

In His Service,
Michelle

Karl, I agree with you that the KJV is a very fine translation, and a good argument can be made that it is the best English translation ever made. But it's still a translation and not the actual inspired words of God. Those words were given in Hebrew, Aramaic, and/or Greek. It is not possible to make an exact translation from one language to another, especially between languages so far removed as Hebrew (Semitic) and English (Germanic/Indo-European). The Hebrew is full of puns, allusions, and pictograms that simply cannot be translated. There are several places in which I believe the KJ translators made inadvertent--and possibly sometimes deliberate--errors. (I'm not a Hebrew scholar, so I'm depending on the work of others. Take it for what it's worth.)

I checked out the av1611 site a few years ago and found it unconvincing.

I prefer the KJV over the NIV and any other "free" translation. They are useful if I want someone's editorial opinion on what the original writers meant to say--as opposed to what they actually said--but I prefer to consult several different literal translations as well as the opinions of the ancients on serious doctrinal matters. My favorite is the NKJV, but I also like the KJV, ESV, and MKJV.

And I will largely second Jay's comments, Karl, with one proviso.

My own study has convinced me that the AKJV is not a true 'translation' in the literal sense, but largely a recompilation of other earlier Bibles. Although it is MUCH harder to obtain, I would say that the "best" English version is the Geneva Bible; the copy that I have is taken directly from the 1599 edition.

Notably, there are two very obvious differences with the King James edit. Most importantly, there were literally VOLUMES of margin notes in the Geneva Bible, which were evidently highly prized by the lay population of the date. They were also evidently "not politically correct" in some cases, and were entirely omitted in the Authorized version. (Some scholars also point to a few 'minor changes' that have to do with removing doubts about the concept of the "divine right of kings".)

This Bible also predates the 1619 AKJV preoccupation with the then-new letter "J" (no offense, Jay C ;) ) There is no "Jesus", Joseph, or Jakob - instead we see Iesus, Ioseph, and Iakov, which are, of course, actually better transliterations of the original Hebrew.

Over the years, I have found a number of interesting things by making side-by-side comparisons of the text. For example, the list of unclean birds is far more complete in the Geneva than the AKJV. Some of the commandments concerning marriage are also worth noting.

Like Jay, however, I enjoy reading the NKJV, but generally start with the KJV for quotations (and I love the poetry there; it is far superior to any other rendering, IMO). Most important, I submit, is the fact that every search engine will support the KJV, and I find that my life is made FAR easier when it comes to finding a passage that I remember if I try to memorize the keywords from that text.*

Finally, when it comes to the "hard questions" - I've been trying to study Hebrew, and will go to a Chumash or other side-by-side version with the Hebrew. SOOOO much is contained within that fabulously rich language that simply gets lost otherwise. (For a dramatic example, look up the "yods and tittles" sometime!)

Blessings,

Mark

-----------------------
* Aside for nerds: As a Unix user - it reminds me a bit of using the vi editor. While I don't like it at ALL as an editor, I had to learn it -- because it's ubiquitous. ;)

LOL, now there's one I never thought I'd see here, that KJV is the original inspired word. Um, King James even states in the preface that it's a translation. A pretty good one at that, I still use it, but it's not possible for it to be 100% accurate, because it's a translation done by fallible man. And the man that authorised it was a politician. Need I say more?

I compare versions and do word studies to show contextual use of the words to better understand a language that's not native to me. This is why the mouth of two or three witnesses (translators in this case) is more trustworthy than just 1 witness.

I still say the best translation is the one that's actually read and followed, not collecting dust somewhere

DaPastor said:
Plural marriage is not for those who just want to "multiply wives". It is for men who really desire to nuture, protect, lead, and love their family.
Well, I think perhaps that most of the men who take more than one wife are doing so because they want to have more sexual partners and variety. That isn't to say is a good motivation for a Christian man, but there are many more people in the world with more than one wife than Christians.

I have no desire to take another wife, but who knows how I would deal with a sultry 20 year old lady who was determined to seduce me? I would hope that I wouldn't enter a relationship with her without careful consideration and my wife's agreement, but it might happen and I would find myself with another woman to care for and quite possibly a lot of damage to my wife's ability to trust me.

brYce
You hit the nail on the head. Every action that you husbands take has a re-action from the wives. Sometimes those reactions take a very long time to deal with.

I would hope that when that sultry 20 something bent on seducing you happens along, you would be able to think about your wife and the hurt that any impulsive action would cause her. And also think about the reaction that might happen as a result of your action.

SweetLissa

Yes, I am confident that I would not give in to a seductress now because I am very happy with my marriage. However, I know that I can slide into a trap like that if I am not walking near Hashem. And, even men who are very near Hashem are able to stumble.

The challenge is to be strong enough to say that when things aren't going well for you and you aren't happy. When you can resist temptation under those circumstances, you have achieved something.

SweetLissa

DaPastor said:
Many men who desire plural marriage think that it is about sex. The reality is that it is about love, responsibility and commitment. If one understands what the Bible says about the responsibility of the man to his wife and family, one will realize that this lifestyle should be entered into prayerfully and carefully. Do love your wife (each of them) as Christ loves the Church can be an overwhelming task. Plural marriage is not for those who just want to "multiply wives". It is for men who really desire to nuture, protect, lead, and love their family.

I don't know if the issue is just about men wanting sex because every man probably want sex. I think the issue with some who think that polygamy is all about sex is because of the number of women involved in the relationship rather than just sex itself. That's just confusing "promiscuity" with polygamy when the two aren't necessarily the same. I can see how a man may want to have sex with every good-looking woman who comes his way and keeps them for a relationship (sexual relationship, etc) but that is different from a man who's not looking for every woman that he can get his hands on but finds an additional woman that he wants to be with for the same reasons that he's with his first wife (for love, commitment, etc). But now, although the issue of promiscuity may be out of the way if having more than one wife isn't about wanting more than one woman just for sex but instead being for a real loving "marriage", but I see another problem being raised which I'll mention below.

The question for me is what if a man finds more than 2 women that he wants to start a relationship with that is not based only on sex and is not based on the intentions of him wanting to have all the good-looking women that he can find? I believe having too many wives for good or bad reasons can be a problem as well when it comes to sustaining the intimacy and trying to be there for every wife. So where is a good place for that man to stop? At 2 wives? 4?

Back