• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Jesus cursed a fig tree

Nikud

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
I'm looking at the Last 8 days of Christ again.

On day three,

Mark 11:12 - 14

12 The next day, as they were coming back from Bethany, Jesus was hungry.
13 He saw in the distance a fig tree covered with leaves, so he went to see if he could find any figs on it. But when he came to it, he found only leaves, because it was not the right time for figs.
14 Jesus said to the fig tree, 'No one shall ever eat figs from you again!' And his disciples heard him curse it.

After returning from the Temple.

Mark 11:20-25

20 In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots.
21 Peter remembered and said to Jesus, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!”
22 “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered.
23 “TrulyI tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them.
24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
25 And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.”

I always took this as a reference to cleaning out the temple and the power of faith. I have another way to look at it as well. Jesus is on a two mile walk from Bethany to Jersulam. Knowing he's about to die for our sins, he walks up to a fig tree. He knows it is out of season to produce fruit and he curses the tree for not having fruits. Maybe he was making a different statement.

Genisis 3:6,7

6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate it.

7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized the were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

Maybe the statement was I'm about to offer myself for your salvation don't bring any more sin into this world. Just a thought.

I'm not a horticulturist so not sure if this is true or not, but I have it on hearsay that a fig tree will not fully leaf out till the fruit is on. This would be why the phrase about Jesus seeing the leaves would be significant.

I'm also not sure of the fig season over there, when it's ripe but this may also be a factor that needs consideration.

I'm also not sure of the fig season over there, when it's ripe but this may also be a factor that needs consideration.
From what i read, The variety of fig trees native to Isreal produce a summer fruit, or a winter fruit. In the more common trees, the fruit ripens and begings to fall as the folage comes in. I only checked two sources though and there are 7 varieties of fig trees native to Isreal. The sources say the most common fig tree around Jerusalem that may have had fruit on them and folage would have had green unripen fig buds.

Last edited:
Thought experiment.

Jesus was hungry. He had a need or desire for something. He saw a fig tree and saw that there were leaves and having seen the leaves went to go see if there were figs. To him the leaves represented or fulfilled the expectation of finding food. When He got there He found only leaves, no figs. Now it says that it was not the time for figs; it could have meant in general or for this particular tree. Either way, the idea here is that the tree misrepresented itself. It was saying "See me all leafy, i am a source of food." but it wasn't. Then we get this seemingly odd transition about faith and forgiveness.

How does this correlate with the tree? First, imagine the tree is a person.

Possible Story 1
This person presented himself a certain way and then we find him to be completely deceptive. So, we may say something rash or curse them. Because we have faith, our curses have power. So it is better to forgive so that we may also be forgiven.

Possible Story 2
Similar story but more Christ orientated. We have a self professed christian who looks, acts and speaks the part but does so with the purpose to deceive. Christ sees this and curses him for his deception.

End experiment.

Last edited:
This incident has been a little unsettling for me.
I'm right there. I know several Pastors that basically say Jesus was hungry and got angry a the tree because it didn't have fruit and cursed it out of frustration.

I just can't accept the idea of Jesus being rash acting out of impatience driven anger.
So, we may say something rash or curse them.

i wasn't implying that He was rash, but was using it as an example about why we shouldn't curse someone, because it has power.

Luke 13:6-9 may have the answer given in a parable form

He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, † and found none.
Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why † cumbereth it the ground?
And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung † it:
And if it bear fruit, well:and if not, then after that †thou shalt cut it down.

Also Matthew 3:10

And now also the ax is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Seems like the cursing would be just before His passion, after He'd spent 3 years digging about and fertilizing the soil with marginal results only.

Wouldn't it be interesting if that was the tree they chose to hang him on

wasn't implying that He was rash, but was using it as an example about why we shouldn't curse someone, because it has power.
I wasn't saying you were, I was saying that explanation was used by some Pastors I know and they implied he was acting rashly. They went on to talk about how artisans and laborers use to fast for two hours before work and for two hours after work started and how hunger could cause someone to act rashly. I apologize for not fully explaining and making my self clear.

12 The next day, as they were coming back from Bethany, Jesus was hungry.
13 He saw in the distance a fig tree covered with leaves, so he went to see if he could find any figs on it. But when he came to it, he found only leaves, because it was not the right time for figs.
14 Jesus said to the fig tree, 'No one shall ever eat figs from you again!' And his disciples heard him curse it.

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction.

While it is true that this is about faith, because that is what Jesus preached on, one hidden meaning is that a believer must be ready to bear fruit in every season, whether conditions are favorable for the fruit of the spirit or not. Perhaps it is the wrong season to be joyful. but we must be joyful always, at all times with thanksgiving. When He comes to find fruit in us in the dead of winter, perhaps He will only find small, dry fruits. But let Him not find only leaves!

When He comes to find fruit in us in the dead of winter, perhaps He will only find small, dry fruits. But let Him not find only leaves
I really like that. It ties back to James 2:14-26.

Back