• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Lamb Vindaloo

Nikud

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
The Holiday food post made me think of my Great Grandmas Lamb Vindaloo. She use to make it every Christmas. I haven't had it in 9 years, since she passed. I dug out the recipe and decided to share it.

It takes about an hour to cook and makes 12 servings.

* What you'll need:

10 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

3 teaspoon cumin seeds

18 cloves

(3) 2-inch cinnamon stick

30 peppercorns

3/4 star anise

3 teaspoon poppy seeds

(3) 2-by-1/4-inch piece of ginger

18 plump garlic cloves

3 tablespoon tamarind pulp

12 teaspoons cider vinegar

4 1/2 pounds stewing lamb, cubed

3/4 cup canola or vegetable oil

9 medium yellow onions, finely chopped

Salt

1 1/2 teaspoon jaggery, to taste (Jaggery is a type of sugar found in Asian markets and the ethnic aisles of large grocers, but you can substitute an equal amount of dark brown sugar)

* How to do it:

Combine the cayenne, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, peppercorns, star anise and poppy seeds. Grind until very fine.

Add the ginger, garlic, tamarind and vinegar. Pulse until the mixture produces a smooth paste.

Put the lamb in a medium bowl. Add half of the spice paste (saving the remaining paste) and mix into the lamb until well coated. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium, combine the oil and onions. Saute for 15 to 20 minutes, or until well browned. Add the rest of the spice mix and cook, stirring constantly, for another 5 minutes. If the mixture gets too dry, add 2 tablespoons of water.

Add the lamb and saute for 5 minutes. Add 7 1/2 cups of water, salt to taste, and the jaggery. Cook over a low heat until tender.

Serve with rice, my Great Grandma used Jasmine rice.

We just put a few lamb in the freezer. I'm gonna have to try this!
Thanks!

Back