• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Legality in Ancient Times

A

Anonymous

Hi Everyone,

In a couple topics I've been in on here lately, people have mentioned "legalities" in combination with patriarchs and other prior to the Law of Moses. For that reason I wanted to present a little history on law in ancient times.

Unlike our world of today, the world in the ancient past before Christ was wild and woolly. People were only relatively safe where they banded together in cities and towns. Many ancient cities in the Middle East had high walls and large gates, to protect the city against roving armies, often from other cities. Greece, for instance, was made up of a bunch of decentralized city-states.

Although there were several large empires in ancient times, those empires were fairly limited in scope until Rome came on the scene. The empires before the time of Rome had great difficulties patrolling borders against bandits and enemies, because the world at that time had so few people that large borders could not be well-protected.

There were certainly laws in those times, but they were primarily located in cities and small geographic areas. (An example of such laws would be the Hammurabi's Code in the city-state of Babylon.)

Most areas had no law at all.

What they had were social customs and anarchy. Essentially "might makes right" governed in most areas, though the vast majority were decent people.

Now Abraham came from Ur of the Chaldees. Abraham was a Chaldean originally. He came from a nation with laws, but he went into lawless territories when God called him out of Ur.

Social customs prevailed where there were no written laws. Those social customs changed from place to place and time to time, and were by no means uniform.

In Scripture we find the ownership of slaves. Sarah owned Hagar before she gave her to Abraham. Now some have suggested that Ishmael was then Sarah's son, and the children of Bilhah and Zilpah were Rachel's and Leah's children respectively BY LAW or LEGALLY. The problem with that view is that there was no law in many of the areas where Abraham traveled.

At best we can say that they followed Abraham's "law" or social conventions as he saw them, probably from his native home in Ur of the Chaldees. What we cannot establish is that the practices of anyone prior to the Mosaic Law were based upon "legalities" in any sense of the word, UNLESS they were within the boundaries of cities or in the scant areas held by city-states.

It is clear that people prior to the Mosaic Law followed some kind of moral code. Even Hammurabi's Code would be at least partially consistent with a Biblical moral code (though it was much more severe in many cases).

It seems that God must have presented the greatest two commandments to the hearts of men through conscience or the teachings of their ancestors, that they would attempt to codify laws that rendered justice.

The Mosaic Law, given by God to the children of Israel was not the first set of laws of mankind, but it was the first recorded to have been given in such detail so directly from God. The Mosaic Law put into writing many of the moral codes that already existed among peoples across the earth, however God corrected the errors in those moral codes and put it all into one consistent set of commandments to the special group that He had designated to be the vessel through whom He would send the Messiah to the entire world for His own glory.

That's really all I had to say. I could flesh it all out in detail, but I think that most of the people know the facts in this case, but maybe haven't really put together that many areas of the world and many of the people, including many of the patriarchs of the children of Israel, lived without laws throughout most of their lives.

Please let me know what you think!

John for Christ

One of the arguments against polygamy is that "It is not legal". When I come across this argument I remind them that the laws prohibiting bigamy and polygamy didn't exist in North America until the 1860s and beyond, and that many Native American tribes practiced polygamy. It is easy to conclude that up until the 1860s there was no law prohibiting either. So we have a history of a continent for thousands of years where polygamy and bigamy were NOT illegal and a mere century and a half where they have been deemed illegal by an invasive culture. Now we need to look at why men want to control the marriage practices of other men...men make laws and men can change any of these laws at any time...

Scarecrow said:
One of the arguments against polygamy is that "It is not legal". When I come across this argument I remind them that the laws prohibiting bigamy and polygamy didn't exist in North America until the 1860s and beyond, and that many Native American tribes practiced polygamy. It is easy to conclude that up until the 1860s there was no law prohibiting either. So we have a history of a continent for thousands of years where polygamy and bigamy were NOT illegal and a mere century and a half where they have been deemed illegal by an invasive culture. Now we need to look at why men want to control the marriage practices of other men...men make laws and men can change any of these laws at any time...

Hi Scarecrow,

That's quite true.

It seems to me that most men do not want polygamy legalized because of jealousy. They've been taught that it is sinful, so they don't feel it is fair if another man has more than one wife, and they aren't allowed. They are also pressured by women to hate polygamy--women who have also been taught that polygamy is wrong AND that it is abusive toward women and children.

It's a vicious cycle, this legalistic stance against something that is clearly acceptable and righteous in Scripture. This is quite obvious in Scripture to an unbiased mind...

John for Christ

"most men do not want polygamy legalized because of jealousy"

I know a lot of these "men". It is no secret why they are still 30, single, and living with mom (but I am told once you turn 30 then mom is living with you... ; ) ). Most of them are looking for a younger version of their mother to coddle them and tell them what a wonderful man they are while exhibiting few if any qualities of manhood. Oh yeah...and they want to be fed well and have lots of sex (when they are not sitting on the couch eating potato chips, drinking beer, and contemplating getting a job some day).

Why are there so many single women? Why are there so many single moms? Why are losers jealous of winners? Maybe, just maybe the pool of men that would make good husbands is not very deep. A good point I have seen made at this forum many times is that if polygamy was legalized it would cause some of these losers to get off the couch because they would realize that they had to compete with every man out there, not just the single ones anymore. Polygamy would actually increase the number of real marriageable men. This in turn would lead to a considerable decrease in the single women and single moms. Everybody (other than those unwilling to get off the couch) wins!

If the government puts birth control in the drinking water.... and only supplies medicine to counteract the effects of birth control pills to those who they want to have children....

If the government made it illegal for a man to marry even one woman (except a few people chosen by the government) but only legal for men to marry men and women to marry women in order to reduce the excess population on the earth... Would it be ok, for men to break the law and marry women monogamously? If the answer is yes, they could break the law and marry woman monogamously illegally having children without a marriage certificate, then why is it not ok to break the law and marry two women? They cannot coherently argue this way unless they say it is ok to break the law for monogamy but not for polygyny. When asked why it is ok to break the law for monogamy but not for polygyny......

Back