• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Looking for info

Hi I’m in college studying a religion class for the summer. I found this site and have been reading the stories about everyone. I hope it’s ok to post here. I will be learning about various religions this summer for my advanced electives and I was hoping to learn more about plural marriage. I have a Hindi friend and a Muslim friend. Most of my Christian friends believe in monogamy, so I found this website fascinating that people live in polygamy. You don’t see that much! I am open to learning about all the religions and thing that they are all very interesting. I am not judgement and would like to learn more about polygamy. I saw a lot of people ask question here so I made an account. I hope that is ok.

Hi and welcome. There are good resources available on the forum and in the Resources section accessed from the Home Page. Some of us have also written articles posted on other sites so feel free to ask. Cheers

Shalom and welcome. While Christianity teaches monogamy (only), a common thread among the members here is that we have read and studied Scripture and all come to a similar conclusion: the Bible never teaches 'one man, one woman.'.

Religiously, within the broad bounds of Christianity, we are pretty varied, but we stand together and fellowship on the common ground that our Creator designed man with the ability to care, protect, and provide for more than one woman should the need or opportunity present. This common belief gets us ostracized in many circles, but we choose to embrace truth over public acceptance.

It might help your understanding if you don't consider monogamy-only teachings as "normal". Basically, through most of history, most societies have accepted men having more than one woman. It's just the natural state of mankind - men die off in dangerous jobs (e.g. hunting) and wars, but protect the women from these dangers, leaving a surplus of women, who could not marry if they did not share. Obviously even in that situation many if not most men would be monogamous, but acceptance of polygamy for some men is the natural state of mankind.

Then, some religions layer additional rules on top of that natural state.

The Bible never does so. However, the Roman Catholic church limited most men to one wife, and priests to no wives. Initially however they turned a blind eye to concubinage (for much of the early history of the church many priests had concubines). So in some cases men could have as many women as they liked, just call no more than one a "wife".

The Quran sort-of limits men to four wives (it says you can have one, two, three, or four, and scholars have traditionally interpreted that as being an exhaustive list of what is allowed even though it doesn't actually say more than four is banned). But again Islam has traditionally turned a blind eye to concubinage, so once again men could in practice have as many women as they liked, just couldn't call more than four "wives".

In both cases these are legalistic rules invented by religious authorities and imposed on the people. They then find proof-texts in the scripture the people already accept and say it must be interpreted in this specific way, which agrees with the new legalistic rule. So Christian preachers will say "Adam had only one wife, and by this God means that His standard is for men to have only one wife and anything else is not ideal and therefore sin". While Muslim Imams will say "the Quran says men can have 1,2,3 or 4 wives, and this means that this is God's standard and anything else is not ideal and therefore sin". In both cases the new pronouncement is obviously contradicted by the fact that the most respected historical figures of that faith had more than the new limit of wives (Abraham, Jacob, David etc for Christians, and Mohammad's 13 wives for Muslims). But the religious authorities claim that God overlooked it in their specific case or at that time for some invented reason (the excuses differ), so you should ignore that.

These are religious weasel-words to justify man-invented rules. They are not the original words of God nor the natural state of mankind.

This is all understandable as there are reasons why religious and political leaders would want to limit the size of families, but that's another issue.

Welcome Smilesgalore,
We are glad to have you here!

I think I speak for most of us when I say that our chief interest on this site is the Lord Jesus Christ. He is the Son of God, and the one truly good and upright Man. He is a real Man, and lived here on earth with us. He died on the cross taking the punishment the we all deserve. Three days later, He defeated death itself and rose from the grave. He has ascended to heaven where He sits at the right hand of God the Father. Someday, Jesus Christ will return to rescue all who hope in Him, and to bring judgement on His enemies.

We believe that the Bible is truly from God, and that it points us to Him. We recognize that many men in the Bible had more than one wife and were accepted and loved by God. We also recognize that the Bible does not prohibit men from having more than one wife (I believe this relates to the patriarchal nature of the created order). Likewise, it is acceptable for a man to have one wife, or sometimes no wife at all. Also note that the Bible clearly does not allow a women to have more than one man.

As I understand it, religion is the study of what people think or believe about God, or divine and spiritual matters.

I'm not all that interested in what people think about God. What I'm primarily interested in is who God actually is, what He is like, and what does He think about us.

Above all things, We must hope in Jesus. He is the King!

Hi I’m in college studying a religion class for the summer. I found this site and have been reading the stories about everyone. I hope it’s ok to post here. I will be learning about various religions this summer for my advanced electives and I was hoping to learn more about plural marriage. I have a Hindi friend and a Muslim friend. Most of my Christian friends believe in monogamy, so I found this website fascinating that people live in polygamy. You don’t see that much! I am open to learning about all the religions and thing that they are all very interesting. I am not judgement and would like to learn more about polygamy. I saw a lot of people ask question here so I made an account. I hope that is ok.
welcome. feel free to ask your questions.

Back