• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Martin Luther on PM

CecilW

Real Person
Male
Just for our friend LutheranGirl ...

Martin Luther wrote in De Wette, II, p. 459, "I confess that I cannot
forbid a person to marry several wives, for it does not contradict
the Scripture. If a man wishes to marry more than one wife, he should
be asked whether he is satisfied in his conscience that he may do so
in accordance with the word of God. In such a case, the civil
authority has nothing to do in such a matter."

Anyone else have any good quotes from the Reformers? Especially Luther, who kinda started the pot stirring?

Nürnberg Parliament

On February 14, 1650, the parliament at Nürnberg decreed that, because so many men were killed during the Thirty Years’ War, the Christian churches for the following ten years could not admit any man under the age of 60 into a monastery. Priests and ministers not bound by any monastery were allowed to marry. Lastly, the decree stated that every man was allowed to marry up to ten women. The men were admonished to behave honorably, provide for their wives properly, and prevent animosity among them.
(http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... search.pdf, found on page 59)
I think that those Germans were very wise when they admonished the men to behave honourably, provide for their wives properly, and prevent animosity among them. I imagine that the Jewish leaders throughout the history of Israel gave similar direction to their polygynous men.

Ooooo! Good one, Bryce! Thx.

brYce said:
On February 14, 1650, the parliament at Nürnberg decreed that, because so many men were killed during the Thirty Years’ War, the Christian churches for the following ten years could not admit any man under the age of 60 into a monastery. Priests and ministers not bound by any monastery were allowed to marry. Lastly, the decree stated that every man was allowed to marry up to ten women. The men were admonished to behave honorably, provide for their wives properly, and prevent animosity among them.
(http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... search.pdf, found on page 59)

Sounds suspiciously like Isaiah 4:1.

Thanks for the link.

Be blessed,

Ray

Thanks for the info Cecil. I don't believe this is mentioned on the LCMS website site under marriage--hmmm. I guess the Lutherans want to keep this kinda quiet.

Michelle

Back