• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

"Masculine Christianity" by Zachary Garris

Bartato

Seasoned Member
Male
I'm reading this book right now (about 1/3 way through it), and so far it seems pretty good.

The author is a "mainstream" Evangelical pastor (PCA Presbyterian) and lawyer.

I'm sure he wouldn't agree with us on polygamy but he does call out the "complementarians" for their compromises and instead promotes actual patriarchy.

One important point he mentions is that "complementarians" focus mainly on roles in family and church (husband, wife, and pastor). They should also address wider culture, but generally don't.

He also rightly points out that the roles flow from the nature. Women can't be pastors because that work is contrary to their nature (as well as prohibited by God).

Men lead, provide, and protect. Women follow, bear and nurture children, and submit to their husbands. They do these things because that is what God created them to do. He gave them natures that accord with their callings.

He also criticizes "complementarians" for rejecting hierarchy and authority issues between men and women.

Again, the book seems pretty good so far.

That book is on my Amazon list along with many others. Currently working through Reforming Marriage by Doug Wilson, which is also very good minus his take on polygyny.
Is there any chance that "The Boniface Option" by Andrew Iskar is also on your list? I recently finished it, and found it helpful.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Reformed Postmill and Christian nationalism guys like Doug Wilson, Brian Sauve and Ogden crew, Jeff Durbin, AD Robles, and Joel Webbon.

These guys are pretty encouraging and also bold and challenging.

The "Backwoods Belief" podcast is a really good resource.

Is there any chance that "The Boniface Option" by Andrew Iskar is also on your list? I recently finished it, and found it helpful.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Reformed Postmill and Christian nationalism guys like Doug Wilson, Brian Sauve and Ogden crew, Jeff Durbin, AD Robles, and Joel Webbon.

These guys are pretty encouraging and also bold and challenging.

The "Backwoods Belief" podcast is a really good resource.
The Boniface Option is not on my list but I will add it. I have been listening to the same group of guys as well. I'll have to check out Backwoods Belief. Haven't heard of that one.

The Boniface Option is not on my list but I will add it. I have been listening to the same group of guys as well. I'll have to check out Backwoods Belief. Haven't heard of that one.
The book is good, but you may have already learned most of the content if you listen to these guys.

Please do check out the Backwoods Belief podcast. I highly recommend it.

I just looked it up and read it again (pages 115-117). He is better than most in that he admits that polygamous men should be admitted to the church, and that polygamy can be tolerated to an extent.

He is still pretty badly off track on the issue.
Earlier in the book he mentions polygamy and falls back on original intent. I didn't get to the pages you mentioned yet. I should have kept reading last night!

Earlier in the book he mentions polygamy and falls back on original intent. I didn't get to the pages you mentioned yet. I should have kept reading last night!
I do get the positive impression that some of these guys might have the integrity to deal honestly with the issue if they understood it. A lot of people just haven't ever considered the things we have all seen. They need to be pushed on the issue.

I just looked it up and read it again (pages 115-117). He is better than most in that he admits that polygamous men should be admitted to the church, and that polygamy can be tolerated to an extent.

He is still pretty badly off track on the issue.
Even that seems miles ahead of most. I haven’t spent much time listening to Wilson teach. I probably should check out more of his stuff.

Back