• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meaning of Malachi 2:15

MichaelZ

Male
I was told Mal 2:15 was teaching for "only one wife". I checked many versions of text including English and Chinese versions. I understand that in the context it's talking about not divorcing or cheating the wife of your youth. But what's the exact meaning of this verse do you think?

ESV
Did he not make them one, with a portion of the Spirit in their union? And what was the one God seeking? Godly offspring. So guard yourselves in your spirit, and let none of you be faithless to the wife of your youth.

NIV
Has not the one God made you? You belong to him in body and spirit. And what does the one God seek? Godly offspring. So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful to the wife of your youth.

KJV
And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.

David sure missed that one didn't he? To top it off, it was Bathsheba, the wife of treachery against the wife of his youth that became the mother from which Mary and Joseph both descended. Do not commit adultery, and know that the children are a product of both the mother and the father. when thy become one in flesh they also become one in spirit and the residue (some left over contributes to the formation of the new life of the child) it matters who the father is and it matters who the mother is. A child is not just the product of their environment. The temperament of the parents even at the time of conception contribute to the temperament and personalty of the child. Davids first child with Bathsheba was not allowed to be in the linage of the Messiah.

1 Cor. 6:16
What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.

Ephes. 5:31
For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

2 Peter 2:14
Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:

We should take more care to the breeding of our children and give them the best start possible in life and hopefully, a temperament that will be open to the things of God rather than a rebellious heart that is adverse to God.

As Fathers, we exemplify the Heavenly Father to our sons better than anyone. To deal treacherously against the wife of your youth would not represent your Heavenly Father and would set a pattern and example that would not result in a Godly seed.

You can also exemplify the Father by taking care of the widows and fatherless in addition to the others he has already entrusted you with.

No matter what, continue to provide and lead your first wife. I think it's just a refining or rewording of the Law that says any man who takes a new wife is not to diminish anything for the first wife.

I don't think it's encouraging men to be monogamous.

From what I've been able to determine, this verse is very ambiguous, and difficult to translate. The verb is a very generic verb, to make or to do, and there's uncertainty about whether "one" is the subject or object of the verb. This would lead to "Not one has done so," compared to "Did he not make one," as the opening statement. Either way, the NIV presumes the subject is "God", which is not in the text. Continuing the questions, it's not clear that "spirit" refers to the Holy Spirit, nor that "the one" (with a definite article) refered to in the middle part of the verse refers to the same individual as "one" (or "not one") in the beginning of the verse, or that either of these ones refer to God or to a one flesh union (this word in the ESV also isn't there). There's even a line of thought that says the middle of the verse is asking about "the one who sought Godly seed" -- an oblique reference to Abraham, whose divorce of Hagar only occurred after God commanded it, not before.

Here's the NASB translation:
(refering to the treachery against one's wife in the previous verse)
But not one has done so who has a remnant of the Spirit. And what did that one do while he was seeking a godly offspring? Take heed then to your spirit, and let no one deal treacherously against the wife of your youth.

And here's an article (pdf) that describes some of these various translations: http://www.wordexplain.com/PDFdocs/A_Study_of_the_Translation_of_Malachi_2.15.pdf

I don't see anything in this verse that limits marriage to monogamy, but rather that prevents divorce.

(Edit: Looking forward to seeing if Ish chimes in on this one)

Last edited:
Just another quick thought that occurred to me. If we were to assume that this verse were (1) ignoring the surrounding context of divorce, instead changing topics to discuss monogamy by referencing (God) making (them) one, AND if (2) the justification for that monogamy is that "the one" (whether that one is God or the couple) is seeking Godly offspring, then it seems to present about the worst possible case for preferring monogamy over polygamy, at least in terms of sheer volume.

If the verse don't fit, you must acquit.

Back