• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Mennonites Discussing Polygamy . . .

Thats kind of interesting.

I read a bit of it. Its good to know that some of them are at least considering the possibilities of polygamy. I noticed that the biggest argument they had against polygamy is that it isnt good for our culture, but in others it ok. I think its funny that because of they way people view things in our culture, it shouldn't be right to have a polygamous marriage. In reality, it shouldn't be about what people think, it should be about whether its right or wrong. Silly people. Maybe they should be re-thinking the they way the western culture does things, and instead do what the bible says to do things (not that the bible says that you HAVE to be polygamous).

They certainly had trouble with trying to figure out what sin it was. The raised the weaker brother argument ("compromise your Christian ministry") which is a poor argument. The best argument against I thought was:

"The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife." (1 Cor. 7:4)

If the wife has the power over the husband's body how can he give it to another woman?

I'm so bad. I joined their list just to post. We'll see what happens.

That is great Cecil. I think you will do well there. My encouragement for any who join these other boards is to speak the truth in love and gentleness. There is no reason for any of us to become arrogant or haughty about the topic.

Thanks for sharing that link, Cecil. I enjoyed reading their discussion and found almost everyone to be quite humble in their opinions. In the area of PM, we all know many can be quite nasty and arrogant in their views. I shouldn't be surprised though...anabaptists seem to understand humility as a whole. Not surprisingly, the posts that seemed to be borderline non-humble were written by....women. We American Christian women really have a hard time with that "meek and quiet" spirit. I would be included in that! ;)

Usually I like to get into discussions, but I am not Mennonite and I don't know enough specifics to feel in place there, my wifes grandparents where Mennonite and she would know enough about them, but she is not a big debater.

Cecil got to someone with his use of the Samuel verse, thats good news, good work Big C

Well ... keep an eye on it. I just posted another bit. I'll stop if they find me offensive. But it seems a thoughtful board, and a thoughtful thread.

Ooookay... this is too much fun!

Oh yeah, I'm definitely going to follow the discussion, they are very well reasoned. Its a truely enjoyable discussion to watch.

CecilW said:
Ooookay... this is too much fun!

Look what you started back up Cecil! :lol: How fun?!? I'm not going to get in on it, but for those of you who have been through these debates time and time again...don't you love when people bring up Paul's suggestion that it better to remain single??? HELLO??? Then what the heck are you doing married...period?!? Monogamy, polygyny...both aren't the ideal...so why aren't all Christians celibate (tongue in cheek of course!)?!?

. . . I am sooooooo glad I started this thread....Cecil, you have some good stuff going on over there!

Blessings,

Sad to say, it DID go hinky. And got locked.

I was wandering why they kept saying cause America founs polygyny to be bad it was bad. They legalized Gay unions and marriages in a few states, do they think it is moral or ok caus it is legalised? Just a question that I was wandering.

Ok, this is an old post but I just saw it. It’s kind of funny for me because I know some of these people on the Mennonite forum. We are Messianic but we have several Mennonite friends because of where we live. The one group mentioned, Charity Church, is a group that we have a lot of friends in. We even attend church with them many times on sundays. What I find so funny is the Charity Church position on polygamy, which has actually somewhat effected us in the last couple months.

They have a big following in different parts of Africa and they haven’t made a really big deal about polygamy there. I understand that originally they told their African converts that they had to divorce their wives to join church. They didn’t get very many converts so they quickly changed their approach to, African polygamists who were married before they joined church can keep their wives. But they’ve never let a polygamist become a leader. More recently, in the last 6-8 months, they had a huge blow up that they tried to keep secret. A couple leaders in Africa, good Ol' American Mennonites, have taken second wives from among the African converts. :lol: Since then they’ve had a wave of discussion sweep through their churches. There was talk of putting these “wayward brothers” in the ban (excommunication) but I guess one of them was a son of one of the bigwigs in the group :eek: , I never found out what the end decision was.

On top of this recent “situation” in Africa, the local Charity group that we know, over the last few months has been helping this group of refugees move here. Anyway after they got involved they found out that many of the refugees practiced polygamy. :) The refugee church pastor even has two wives. :D The local church leadership told the refugees they had to disassociate themselves from their other wives, that didn’t go over well either.

These two incidents together started a lot of discussion about polygamy here locally, but most of the discussion was negative.

Even though I’m not a member at the local Charity Church in the past they’ve asked me to come speak in their church and at their tent meetings several times, mostly because they are so interested in Messianic Judaism, I think I’ve spoken there more than most members have in the time that we’ve known them. Anyway through the discussion that was going on about the “situation” in Africa and also because of the polygamist refugees. Everyone that attended the church was asked about their position on polygamy, including me. :roll: Well, they never told us we couldn’t attend there anymore, but they haven’t asked me to share anything or to teach since they found out my views. I was told by the “lead elder” to basically just keep my views to myself and everything will be alright. I haven’t entered into any debates over this, they don’t debate anyways they just ignore you until you go away. There are a few of them at the local group who would accept polygamy but they are afraid they will get put out of the church if they get too vocal about it. :?

Ask them if they'd like someone to come give a Biblical study on the topic, in the spirit of their protestant Mennonite ancestors. I'll gladly come be the visiting speaker from out of town who they can take seriously or ignore, with no hard feelings. :)

And if you really want to throw them for a loop, have a crazy pentecostal preacher come and discuss it as well....

Blessings!

Sounds like fun.........you won’t mind if I sit on the back bench right :lol:

Just kidding

Personally I'd love to see some kind of meetings here on the subject of polygyny sometime. But I really don't think now is the time. I think probably the best way for me to go from here is to just try and build up the friendships I have with the few that would seem to lean toward poly and try to teach them further in bible study. I've realized that really is the only way to change anything with them.

Back