• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Messianic Judaism and Hebrew roots and Sacred Namers movements

IshChayil

Seasoned Member
Real Person*
Male
ב"ה
So there is a lot of confusion about these groups, so I thought I would share an overview from my near 25 years exposure. Short list of my qualifications to write this thread (not chest banging, just so you know I'm not a faker and I've served the time to make these observations):

I'm an ethnic Azhkenazi Jew (German Jew), teacher of Biblical Hebrew grammar for 2 decades, I've lived in the land of Israel; I was the "Baal Keriah" (the designated public weekly reader from the torah scroll) for years; the big scroll one without vowels. I've co-planted congregations on 3 continents and have taught at both Messianic congregations and guest taught at Hebrew roots congregations.

**** part 1- Messianic Judaism*******
Messianic Judaism was first. The basic theology goes like this:
We are Jews, this movement is for Jews first and Gentiles are welcome.
Ethnic Jews (at least 1 parent is a Jew) **must** keep the Torah (Law of G-d). Messianic Gentiles are not under this obligation as they are part of the covenant with Noah only and thus are only required to keep those commands given to Noah (I won't list verses as I want to keep this original post shorter).
Messianic Gentiles are, however, required to observe Torah while they are at a Messianic congregation; you can't bring a ham sandwhich to synagogue. Many Gentiles, however, are there because they are married to a Jew so they assimilate willingly, lovingly and are accepted.
The Torah is always part of the service at a real Messianic congregation with many / most of the prayers and worship being in Hebrew language accompanied by translations into the vernacular. This is useful as it drives away show-seeking Gentiles :)
Sabbath is sacrosanct and all the Jewish holidays with the possible exception of Lag b'omer are observed. Messianics do not say the 4 letter name of G-d...ever.
The Talmud and Rabbis are revered though there is a general lack of deep knowledge in these areas. The more popular Messianic leaders use these traditional Jewish resources well.
Nobody from a Messianic Jewish congregation will ever bash any of the patriarchs: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob.
Many remain active members at their local Jewish community center and some attend regular synagogue on occasion. The driving force of real Messianic congregations is twofold: 1) keeping Jewish identity/Torah observance & solidarity with Israel 2) sharing the gospel to family members and Jewish friends in a way which does not require "conversion" and swearing off of sabbaths, etc.

******** part 2 - summary on Hebrew roots movement ***********
This is a natural outgrowth from Messianic Judaism in a similar manner to Assemblies of G-d coming out of the Pentecostal movement.
The Hebrew roots movement is predominantly Gentile; some of the leaders have had later in life realizations that they may have some Jewish blood, often dubiously.
I have only ever met 1 ethnic Jew in this movement though there are some. This is not to disparage the movement, we are just comparing and contrasting here.
There is a huge focus on Hebrew language here (hence the name "Hebrew roots").
The Gentiles in the movement are zealous for the Torah so there is sometimes a natural affinity between Messianic Jews and Hebrew Roots folks. Many Hebrew roots congregations call themselves "Messianic".
This blurs the term and adds to confusion.
In Hebrew roots there is a general rejection of the Jewish sages and often conspiratorial ideas about the Rabbis of old concocting sneaky ways to lead people away from Torah; not always, but often.
The movement attempts to look at scripture with fresh eyes not steeped in Jewish tradition and determines from this new approach what the Law actually means to them.
Unlike Messianic Judaism, Hebrew roots teaches that all Gentiles must keep torah. There is a strong trend now to promote the idea that Christians who do not live by the Law will not be saved even. This varies from congregation to congregation though and can not be used as a litmus test.
Many Hebrew roots types will openly and often say the 4 letter name of G-d. This often drives a wedge between Messianics who never say the name of G-d and Hebrew roots types who love to say the name frequently. The name is pronounced very differently from one place to the next.
There is an undercurrent these days in my opinion, to delegitimize the Jews as proper keepers of Torah while this is hard for outsiders to notice with the various Jewish artifacts that work their way in and an apparent love for "Israel". Some groups in this movement are very fond of the "2 house" theology believing that all Christians are descended from Ephraim or Menasseh and as such there are 2 billion "Jews" from those tribes and only 13 million from Judah/Levi. This causes conflict sometimes between the Messianics and Hebrew roots. In addition, some groups have different calendars than the Jewish rabbinical calendar in an attempt to be more accurate to the torah observances; this causes a wedge between the 2 movements as well.
A big Hebrew roots leader with limited Hebrew language knowledge, Michael Rood often hosts an unbelieving Karaite Jew (Nehemia Gordon) as an authority to demonstrate how errant the regular / Messianic Jews are; in addition, Rood recently publicly labelled Messianic Judaism as a "cult". This will certainly continue to drive a wedge between the 2 movements.

The driving force behind Hebrew roots movement is: 1) The Law of G-d is a requirement for ALL Christians it was the pagan influences in the church which stripped it away, and the more subtle 2) Judaism is defunct and also infected with pagan influences so adherents to Torah must work it out on their own or by Hebrew roots leadership.

***** part 3 - the various shades of the Sacred Name movement ****
These guys are harder to pin down because they are so varied and move constantly. As of late, they also have adopted the term "Messianic". The tell tale sign you are talking to a "sacred namer" is they will attempt to inject G-d's name into everything. For example, the name "YAhoshua" and "YaHushua" never occur in the bible; the name "Yeshua" does and this is the actual Hebrew name for Jesus of Nazareth. Sacred namers will insist it must be the previous as that invokes G-d's name "Ya" as part of the redeemer's name.
Many Sacred namer groups actually get to the point where they teach that if you do not pronounce G-d's name frequently, you are going to hell. They have sacred name bibles which inject the name everywhere in English and one goofy version the "Hallelujah bible" even attempts to remove any English word which may have a connection to a foreign deity. They don't realize that even the Hebrew bible itself spells out full names of foriegn gods. I've been at a Messianic Synagogue before when a sacred namer was dragged out of the synagogue and tossed out on the street because he wouldn't shut up shouting G-d's name. Obviously the elders at the synagogue did not think he was holy enough to be doing this :p
Usually when you start asking these guys questions about Hebrew and such, you'll find the sacred namers can't hold a candle to the Messianics or Hebrew roots folks.

Summary:
There is interaction and overflow among these groups; more so in these days as the term "Messianic" has been co-opted by everyone and their dog. Confusion abounds. Many Hebrew roots guys now also say the name as often as possible, influenced by the sacred namers. For actual Jews this is offensive.
Since we have mix of Messianic and Hebrew roots in this forum I hope we can refrain from writing out the spelling of G-d's name here so we can work out the beauty and mysteries of the Torah together in peace.

I no longer call myself a "Messianic Jew" because I feel the term has been ruined and doesn't mean anything anymore.

Next time you see someone claiming to be "Messianic" just keep in mind how the term means different things to different people. There are fewer than 200k Messianic Jews worldwide.
I banged this out without review so I hope it's an OK overview. I'm sure I missed some nuances but I think we hit the main similarities / differences.

Last edited:
Very helpful.

Curious: Is there a brand name for gentiles who for various reasons are serious about keeping Torah as an manifestation of their devotion to the Lord, but without the theory that it's because all gentiles are required to keep Torah? I realize that's a pretty thin group, so there may not be a label for it.

Reason I'm asking is because we went with "Messianic Jews / Hebrew Roots Gentiles" for the new forum on the theory that Hebrew Roots loosely fit most Torah-curious or -observant gentiles, from the dabblers to the hard-core covenant keepers. After reading your summary and reflecting a bit on my own experiences, though, "Hebrew Roots" generally does tend toward "torah for everybody". (Note to readers: That's my experience; YMMV.) But I'm not coming up with any good substitute....

Very helpful.

Curious: Is there a brand name for gentiles who for various reasons are serious about keeping Torah as an manifestation of their devotion to the Lord, but without the theory that it's because all gentiles are required to keep Torah? I realize that's a pretty thin group, so there may not be a label for it.

Reason I'm asking is because we went with "Messianic Jews / Hebrew Roots Gentiles" for the new forum on the theory that Hebrew Roots loosely fit most Torah-curious or -observant gentiles, from the dabblers to the hard-core covenant keepers. After reading your summary and reflecting a bit on my own experiences, though, "Hebrew Roots" generally does tend toward "torah for everybody". (Note to readers: That's my experience; YMMV.) But I'm not coming up with any good substitute....
It's a good question.
I've seen the term "Messianic Gentile" used in that context. A Gentile who discovered and loved Messianic Judaism and either over time assimilated. It's still not a rock solid term though since I've seen some very zealous Messianic Gentiles impugning other Gentile believers as somehow less for not walking in Torah as they have chosen to do.

The term works if they are part of a UMJC congregation as they teach the theology I outlined that it's not required for Gentiles but it's fine if they like it. Maybe that's the best term we're gonna get. Oh there are some "Hebrew roots" groups which focus just on the underlying language as a nice way to interpret scripture but I think these days those groups are on the fringe or are relatively new to the movement.
Messianic Gentile is a bit ambiguous too but in my experience, Gentiles in regular attendance at Messianic synagogues do in fact end up assimilating to the culture; torah and all so more times than not it does imply a Gentile fitting the definition you're seeking.
Oh it gets more convoluded as usually after a Gentile is really living torah we will refer to him simply as Messianic, in an attempt to not point out his/her Gentile origin. I think this is related to Jewish culture how you are not supposed to point out if someone is a convert so that they are some how lesser to the ethnic Jews. Talmud has some severe punishments for this.

Anybody else know a better term for this?

Last edited:
Hit and run: I've gotta sign off, but I'm struck by what you said about Torah-observant gentiles ultimately assimilating into Jewish culture. It resonates with a part of my story, being Hebrew-Roots-curious back in the '90s but then swinging back to regular ol' WASP Christianity. Too much to unpack here and not really the place, but the short version is I just really want to think some more about culture and how we (actively) assimilate or (passively) are assimilated into it.

Teaser: I'm thinking of "whatever you do, do with your whole heart" (NT) and "whatever your hands find to do, do with all your might" (OT). God wants us to be all in, whatever we're doing. More to think about....

Good overview of the major "boxes" people can fit into. Just remember many people don't fit in the boxes.

A better name for this section is simply "Living Torah". That's what people will want to discuss, and it avoids the denominational labels.

I am curious, @IshChayil, which group do you think contains the most 2 House theorists?

Also, is there a particular subset which is more inclined to engender ideas of flat earth, or lunar Shabbat, etc.?

So what is the scriptural basis for not saying God's name? Not that I'm convinced we know what it is or could pronounce it if we did but this has bothered me. Did God ever say "Don't say My name!"?
I've often wondered this. So many Biblical Hebrew names include parts of His name, so is it unsacred to say those names too?

I went to see if I could find the notes I had on this and the link to the article Ive mentioned before and ran across this from Justin Martyrs writings.

Justin Martyr to Tryphos

CHAPTER LXXV -- IT IS PROVED THAT JESUS WAS THE NAME OF GOD IN THE BOOK OF EXODUS.
"Moreover, in the book of Exodus we have also perceived that the name of God Himself which, He says, was not revealed to Abraham or to Jacob, was Jesus, and was declared mysteriously through Moses. Thus it is written: 'And the Lord spake to Moses, Say to this people, Behold, I send My angel before thy face, to keep thee in the way, to bring thee into the land which I have prepared for thee. Give heed to Him, and obey Him; do not disobey Him. For He will not draw back from you; for My name is in Him.' Now understand that He who led your fathers into the land is called by this name Jesus, and first called Auses(Oshea). For if you shall understand this, you shall likewise perceive that the name of Him who said to Moses, 'for My name is in Him,' was Jesus. For, indeed, He was also called Israel, and Jacob's name was changed to this also. Now Isaiah shows that those prophets who are sent to publish tidings from God are called His angels and apostles. For Isaiah says in a certain place, 'Send me.' And that the prophet whose name was changed, Jesus[Joshua], was strong and great, is manifest to all. If, then, we know that God revealed Himself in so many forms to Abraham, and to Jacob, and to Moses, how are we at a loss, and do not believe that, according to the will of the Father of all things, it was possible for Him to be born man of the Virgin, especially after we have such Scriptures, from which it can be plainly perceived that He became so according to the will of the Father?

Also interesting in relation to the thread the Nature of Jesus

So what is the scriptural basis for not saying God's name? Not that I'm convinced we know what it is or could pronounce it if we did but this has bothered me. Did God ever say "Don't say My name!"?

Zec, good questions;
this really requires an entire thread to discuss so I'll start one.
G-d did not say "don't say My Name!" He said "Do not take my name lightly".
Please see thread Why do Jews and Messianics not say G-d's name.
shalom and shavua tov!

Last edited:
I've often wondered this. So many Biblical Hebrew names include parts of His name, so is it unsacred to say those names too?
Those names are all allowed but should be used reverently still.
On our doors in the house we have mezzuzahs, boxes that have bible passages and each one has a traditional large Hebrew letter ש shin, makes an 'sh' sound and it's short for El-Shadai.
The bigger ones have שדי Shadai spelled out. All of those titles and names are in!
Just the 4 letter most sacred name of G-d gets the extra level of holiness in how we treat it.

@IshChayil
Adonijah and Elijah seem to carry very sacred implications, yet those names are splattered throughout TNK.

Last edited:
I went to see if I could find the notes I had on this and the link to the article Ive mentioned before and ran across this from Justin Martyrs writings.

Justin Martyr to Tryphos

CHAPTER LXXV -- IT IS PROVED THAT JESUS WAS THE NAME OF GOD IN THE BOOK OF EXODUS.
"Moreover, in the book of Exodus we have also perceived that the name of God Himself which, He says, was not revealed to Abraham or to Jacob, was Jesus, and was declared mysteriously through Moses. Thus it is written: 'And the Lord spake to Moses, Say to this people, Behold, I send My angel before thy face, to keep thee in the way, to bring thee into the land which I have prepared for thee. Give heed to Him, and obey Him; do not disobey Him. For He will not draw back from you; for My name is in Him.' Now understand that He who led your fathers into the land is called by this name Jesus, and first called Auses(Oshea). For if you shall understand this, you shall likewise perceive that the name of Him who said to Moses, 'for My name is in Him,' was Jesus. For, indeed, He was also called Israel, and Jacob's name was changed to this also. Now Isaiah shows that those prophets who are sent to publish tidings from God are called His angels and apostles. For Isaiah says in a certain place, 'Send me.' And that the prophet whose name was changed, Jesus[Joshua], was strong and great, is manifest to all. If, then, we know that God revealed Himself in so many forms to Abraham, and to Jacob, and to Moses, how are we at a loss, and do not believe that, according to the will of the Father of all things, it was possible for Him to be born man of the Virgin, especially after we have such Scriptures, from which it can be plainly perceived that He became so according to the will of the Father?

Also interesting in relation to the thread the Nature of Jesus
You never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of the writings of Early church fathers and other early Christian writers Veritas.
I also believe the "angel of the L-rd" is often Yeshua in Old testament speak.

You never seize to amaze me with your knowledge of the writings of Early church fathers and other early Christian writers Veritas.
Would it ever be Gabriel?

I am curious, @IshChayil, which group do you think contains the most 2 House theorists?

Also, is there a particular subset which is more inclined to engender ideas of flat earth, or lunar Shabbat, etc.?
2 House is Hebrew roots has a huge following of that position; sacred namers seem split on it in my experience some are very excited about 2 house and others don't care if they are a tribe of Israel or not, it bleeds over to Messianic Judaism but quite rarely and in my experience usually by new folks who are crossing over from Hebrew roots to Messianic Judaism; often as the "reason" for their wanting to be with Jews.

Flat Earth - Sacred Namers and some Hebrew Roots
no Messianic Leader espouses flat Earth (that I know of)
lunar shabbat - small minority of sacred namers (rejected by most Hebrew roots and Messianic teachers who both maintain the Sabbath day was never "lost")

Adonijah and Elijah seem to carry very sacred implications, yet those names are splattered throughout TNK.
My name in Hebrew also has the short version of the sacred name.
Andrew and I were discussing this recently. The word at the end of Hellu-jah is that same short form.
That word means "you all praise! (command form)" + the shortened form of the name.
Jews will say "Kah" if we are not praying but if we are praying have no issue saying the shortened form. It's my belief that this is why the shortened version exists in the first place. It is a "place holder" to remind us of "The Name" without pronouncing it. Nobody's name in the bible consists of the full 4 letter sacred name except G-d. Many many many names do have the "Kah" in it to remind us of the full name.
I've used this as a bargaining chip with sacred namers and others before to say that word instead of the full name.
There are some sacred namers who actually do prefer to say this shortened form.
It's less holy than the full 4 letter burning bush form.
Good comment!

You never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of the writings of Early church fathers and other early Christian writers Veritas.
Would it ever be Gabriel?

It usually is but not always. There are several places where the generic "angel of the Lord" is actually named or identified in what I'd call companion documents like Jubilees and Jasher. Some of these exceptions are Moses in the inn, the Death angel at Passover, David when he numbers the people is attributed to being tricked by this same angel who is identified as being a bad angel. If memory serves me correctly, he is identified as Mastema.

Other places it is definitely referring to a pre-incarnate Christ and others are in reference to angels. Often you have to get back into the Hebrew to distinguish between them, other times its context that determines and other cross references back to the passage.

So here is a funny thing being sold on a website by a guy who dresses up like a character from Jesus Christ Superstar and who has taken swipes at both Messianic Judaism and Hebrew Roots movements; bashing both movements (while he has learned from both) I just love it when someone gets too big for their britches.

I just love this, check it... (See attached image) I don't know how to inline the image anymore unless I reveal a dropbox account or something...
Anyway if you can't see it, it's a sticker they are selling in Hebrew letters which says:
יחוח Yodh chet vav chet - they go on saying how the people in Texas who had these stickers of "G-d's name" on their houses didn't get flooded, etc etc.
So here's what's so hillarious (to me) about this. That's not G-d's name, instead it means something like "unconscious" though it's close to another bad thing. I'm trusting my Biblical Families peeps to not inform them of their error. Please don't make me regret that I shared this here.

They call it the "True name of G-d sticker" haha. So my Messianic and Hebrew roots peeps...we finally know the true name of G-d. At last.

So how were those guys with these stickers protected from the bad weather?
Well, I heard on the Ben Shapiro show when some leftists were saying G-d was getting Texas for political reasons, it turned out that the damage was entirely in Democratic precincts. So ... maybe it wasn't the unconscious sticker saving people after all ....

Time to get removing that plank I think ... before it makes you unconscious!

Attachments

• Unconscious_god.jpg
    Unconscious_god.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back