• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Modern Adages, Beneficial or Detrimental?

"Happy Wife, Happy Life."
"Happy House, Happy Spouse."
"Whatever you give a woman, she's going to multiply. If you give her sperm, she'll give you a baby. If you give her a house, she'll give you a home. If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal. If you give her love, she'll give you her heart. She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her. So if you give her any crap - you will receive a ton of shit."

Adages like these which honor the woman have become adopted as truth and are very commonly repeated and adhered to in the modern day. Noticing that sayings like these never honor the man alone, it is always equal or higher footing for the woman. Is anyone aware of any similar sayings pertaining to men/husbands? Is there truth to these sayings or are they simply a deceit? These sayings bring to mind the Proverbs 21:9 and 19 women, however are the women spoken of in proverbs actually similar in character to the women who these common adages would apply to? Or are the Proverbs 21:9,19 woman the result of sayings like this? The women in these Proverbs are women of rebellious character. Do the above statements honor and promote a rebellious nature, are the adoption of these sayings profitable to a submissive woman? Or are they a slow acting poison disguised as wisdom to create a Proverbs 21:9,19 woman? While we all know women can be troublesome as well as fruitful, how much more can a man be as the rock for the woman? Why is this ignored and not honored?

It's deceit. Some certainly, others way probably than not.

Just check mindset. Does it ever speak positive about men? If no, it's a 💩

Love this post!
Is anyone aware of any similar sayings pertaining to men/husbands?
I think they stopped making those 2,000 years ago. But here's a favorite oldie, "A virtuous woman [is] a crown to her husband, And as rottenness in his bones [is] one causing shame." And lines from The Taming of the Shrew come to mind.
Is there truth to these sayings or are they simply a deceit?
How about regrettably both?
Do the above statements honor and promote a rebellious nature
Absolutely they do.
are the adoption of these sayings profitable to a submissive woman?
Not at all. In fact, @NVIII's Babe has come to hate hearing them and feel embarrassed when someone prompts her with them.
how much more can a man be as the rock for the woman? Why is this ignored and not honored?
I think we all know why it is not honored today. But what a great idea to bring light to it and start honoring that!

Bugs me when "Christian"? men refer to their wife as the boss.
I started calling my husband the boss over 20 years ago....it caught on with his old gf, and even a neighbor will ask for the boss when he calls.
I agree that those modern sayings encourage a warped view. I grew up with the saying "Joy is an inside job." That's a good thing to keep in mind.

I started calling my husband the boss over 20 years ago....it caught on with his old gf, and even a neighbor will ask for the boss when he calls.
Boss? I couldn't stand that word. It's so business-like, so devoid of emotional intimacy and good feeling.

Chief, Sir, Herr, Honey and even General sound way better.

In fact, @NVIII's Babe has come to hate hearing them and feel embarrassed when someone prompts her with them
Yes. I dislike the *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* implication that I am actually in control in our home and my husband is a puppet or airhead. 🙄 I never know what to say. If I laugh along because the notion is truly ludicrous, then the speaker gets the impression I agree with them and their implication. On the other hand, these things are said in passing, never at an opportunity to have an honest dialog about it. I'd love to come up with some short, cheerful quip I could lob back that would get across that I am *not* and do not aim to be the boss, but also I am content and secure in my position of not-boss. 😅 I just need some light-hearted, but TRUE, easy-to-remember Thing To Say.

Boss? I couldn't stand that word. It's so business-like, so devoid of emotional intimacy and good feeling.

Chief, Sir, Herr, Honey and even General sound way better.
It started because he was running a business and I was answering the phone for the business. It was also a deliberate push back against that afore mentioned trend.
I call him lots of things in private. ....all good.

Yes. I dislike the *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* implication that I am actually in control in our home and my husband is a puppet or airhead. 🙄 I never know what to say. If I laugh along because the notion is truly ludicrous, then the speaker gets the impression I agree with them and their implication. On the other hand, these things are said in passing, never at an opportunity to have an honest dialog about it. I'd love to come up with some short, cheerful quip I could lob back that would get across that I am *not* and do not aim to be the boss, but also I am content and secure in my position of not-boss. 😅 I just need some light-hearted, but TRUE, easy-to-remember Thing To Say.

May I recommend you try this when @NVIII calls you:

girl-soldiers-salute-clip-art__k2921259.jpg

It will be so much more effective if you come up with it yourself.

In my last workplace I had a tearoom conversation where someone referred to my wife as the boss. I said actually, I am the boss. The looks of horror were priceless. Then I asked them what the problem was, they were happy to call my wife the boss and thought that funny, why couldn't I be the boss instead and why would that be offensive? Isn't that sexist? They didn't have anything logical to say to it, they did try to back themselves up in an awkward fashion but struggled to get their thoughts together...

I used to really like Tim Hawkins. Then we saw him live the other night in town. I can forgive secular couples their inverse hierarchy (sometimes I think they are closer to the truth than—>) but Christians have no excuse. It’s straight up blasphemy per Titus 2.

I've had no difficulties as there is a large sign on the outside of my home office door; The BOSS. No one has even jokingly implied anything otherwise. Easy peeezy. ;)

I agree that those modern sayings encourage a warped view. I grew up with the saying "Joy is an inside job." That's a good thing to keep in mind.

When I hear a man refer to his wife as The Boss I consider it a criticism and not a compliment or an affectionate diminutive.

He is telling you a secret by sharing it publicly.

Responses to Happy wife, happy life.

Happy husband, happy life
Submission to husband, happy life
Happy marriage, happy life
God centered marriage, happy life

Or something similar. You get the idea.

When I hear a man refer to his wife as The Boss I consider it a criticism and not a compliment or an affectionate diminutive.

He is telling you a secret by sharing it publicly.
That's intuition there, Megan!

Back