• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Monogamous Marriage and Gender Equality

sun

Male
I was reading this site about Economics and came across this essay saying that Monogamous marriage is the basis of Gender Equality. Is it true that women are hypergamous? Hypergamy simply means women’s base sexual nature is attracted to a higher status in relation to herself. In other words, if she does not “look up” to a man in some way, she will not be attracted to that man. But really do you guys believe that Monogamous marriage is the basis for Gender Equality? What do you think of his criticisms of Polygamy?

http://socialdemocracy21stcentury.blogspot.com/2016/09/monogamous-marriage-is-basis-of-gender.html

Here is a few opinions from the comments section:

Women generally prefer to share an alpha than have a beta to themselves, other things being equal. We know that a much greater proportion of women passed on their genes than men in our evolutionary history, leading to the conclusion that high-status men were able to monopolise a large proportion of the fertile women in their tribe. Men are less selective than women for many reasons; healthy men have a practically infinite amount of sperm and bear no cost in procreating, while women have a very limited number of eggs and have to carry a child for 9 months, with what was until recently a serious risk to their health. Women need someone to provide and protect them (especially while they are pregnant) and high-status men are best able to do that. A man only increases his genetic fitness when he impregnates a women, while a woman has potentially a lot to lose, so she has to be especially selective in her mate choice. These sexual differences lead men to having a tendency toward polygamy, while women have a tendency toward hypergamy (only the best).

"I'm not making a moral claim so much as a practical one. Women tend to want to marry men who are wealthier and higher status than themselves, so if they acquire greater wealth and power relative to men, there will be a smaller pool of men they consider acceptable for marriage. Monogamous marriage is good for society for all the reasons that LK outlined and more, so anything that weakens it should be greatly scrutinised. A society must reproduce itself to be viable in the long-term and the feminist attempts to raise the economic position of women relative to men works against this fundamental task."

@sun, you sure do come up with some interesting topics. It almost feels as if you are writing a research paper, and this is some of the sources you have found.

This is my opinion only, but I agree that most women want an alpha. That said, I do think the ideal man is primarily alpha with the ability to show some beta tendencies. That said, I don't think it works so well the other way around, as a primarily beta man with some alpha tendencies probably doesn't handle the responsibility of those alpha tendencies very well.

Pay attention to the world around you - rarely do you see women flocking to be around betas except to be friends. When you notice the women flocking to one man, he is almost always the alpha in the room. I suspect this is some inner trigger that knows this man could care and defend for them if necessary.

So then, women are attracted to a funny, easy going gentleman who can relate to them, but is willing to lay down the law behind closed doors and at the right place and time.

Which reminds me of an old country song..."Behind Closed Doors". We Patriarchal, God fearing men men like our ladies to be ladies in public, but let their hair down at the right place and time in private.

My baby makes me proud
Lord, don't she make me proud
She never makes a scene
By hanging all over me in a crowd
'Cause people like to talk
Lord, don't they love to talk
But when they turn out the lights
I know she'll be leaving with me

And when we get behind closed doors
Then she lets her hair hang down
And she makes me glad that I'm a man
Oh, no-one knows what goes on behind closed doors

My baby makes me smile
Lord, don't she make me smile
She's never far away
Or too tired to say: "I want you"
She's always a lady, just like a lady should be
But when they turn out the lights
She's still a baby to me

'Cause when we get behind closed doors
Then she lets her hair hang down
And she makes me glad that I'm a man
Oh, no-one knows what goes on behind closed doors
Behind closed doors

Hmmm. Have often seen the women in a room flock to the flamboyant gay guy.

Why? To be friends. That's not who they're going to for a relationship. Besides, he can offer them makeup advice.

ZecAustin and aineo, What do you think of the author's point of view that polygamous marriages are bad; Have you read it? He opposes everything that this website stands for.

Yeah, they're going to the obviously gay guy because he's not a threat. They can have a great time with him and know he's not going to hit on them and try to take them home.

I agree, Sarah. My brother and his work buddy, each married and not looking to fool around, found women flirting outrageously with them whenever they went out for drinks and pool. They had fun and liked to laugh, he says, and he began to suspect that the women took them for gay. His buddy didn't believe it, so it became a sort of bar bet between them.

The next time they went out and a woman was hanging all over my brother, he leaned in and said to her, "Hey, don't take this the wrong way, but my buddy and I are trying to sort something out. Do we look gay?"

"Yeah," she said.

"Would you be talking to me right now if you knew I was straight?"

"Hell, no."

@sun, short version is that if you start with an ideology and then work to defend it, you can find sources that support the hypothesis you started with. For all its references and citations, the work is pretty shabby.

Next observation is that "polygamy" is not a monolithic system. What kind of "polygamy" are we talking about? FLDS desert cults? Modern western secular urban polygamy? Muslim polygamy in the Levant? Biblical Christian polygamy in America? To treat these as if they were all the same thing is, well, let's just say sloppy.

Finally (not because there aren't more points to make, but this will get us started), he just straight up assumes the most benevolent possible assessment of legally-enforced monogamy, which statistically increases divorce (and 'serial polygamy'), adultery (including mistresses or 'kept women', including fairly open quasi-polygamous relationships), and prostitution. More cherry-picking.

Okay, I lied. One more point: To criminalize bigamy is itself an affront to the ideal of liberty (as in, "where the spirit of Christ is, there is...", as well as American cultural ideals of personal liberty). Why should people be convicted of felonies for pairing up the way they want to? If monogamy is such a great social good, why do we have to punish anyone who chooses otherwise? And particularly for bible-believing Christians: "woe to those who call evil good, and good evil"—if God hasn't prohibited it, why should we?

More later, maybe.

Speaking of finding supportive sources, the author of that post, LK, references just a single paper in relation to all of the anti-polygamy remarks. The bibliography lists two additional sources but one is not directly referenced in the article and the neither of them is related to polygamy.

In addition the author repeats inline references to the (presumably) anti-polygamy paper in a way that suggests an intent to "pad out" the text, i.e. LK gives a long reference each time as though each is from a new and distinct source when in fact the conventional "ibid." would suffice because in nearly every instance the source is the same.

Back