• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Morning struggles

SarahN

Real Person
Female
Today started like any other day in my house. I woke up at 6:30, stumbled to the coffee pot, made coffee and then woke up my kids for school. It's been over a year now since we have sent our kids to public school, and both my teenagers have adjusted to the busy life of school. This morning however, was especial hard, since no one in our family seemed eager to embrace a new day with a smile. I fussed and yelled at my teens to get out of bed. I tried to put on a peaceful face for our seven year old granddaughter who spent the night with us.

The night before, my fifteen year daughter came to me with tears in her eyes about how she wanted to go back to homeschooling. It nearly broke my heart to see her struggle. The last year of homeschooling she was looking forward to all the things that her new school would offer her such as friends, events, and classes she didn't get to do at home. She had a picture in her mind of how it be, but it hasn't been working out the way she planed. How many of us can relate? My life sure hasn't always turned out the way I planed it.

As the hour went by, only one of my teenagers made it to school on time. I had to leave her at home. She was still upset and stressed just like the night before. I was so frustrated, and worried. It would take me forty minutes to get back home to her. I didn't want her to get more behind in her classes, so I knew I had to get her up and out the door! My heart was heavy all the back home, as I was trying to think of what to tell her, how to encourage her to go to school anyway. After I got home, I made her a nice breakfast; we were too rushed to have one before I left for school the first time.

As my daughter and I drove to school (my second time today) we listened to the the radio. We don't always listen to Christian music as we commute, but this time we did. We were both kind of in our own little worlds of stress and worry. As we were almost to the school. I told her, "You know, you can always pray. God hears your prayers". The moment I said that I was at peace. Why haven't I said that to her before? I prayed all the way home for her to be at peace in her classes, and every thing she did today. I guess my thought of the day, is to remember that you can always pray!

Last edited:
Hi Sarah!

Transitioning to public school must be so challenging! Are you from a poly family? I ask because that would make it even harder on the kids...especially a 15yo girl who's dealing with peer pressure and who's worried about being judged for coming from a "weird" family. I am hoping that we can keep all of kids at home through high school but I deeply appreciate your bringing this up because it's a reality we might have to deal with if we can't handle educating high school kids at home.

Hugs,

Megan

Hello Megan,
Yes, I am in a plural marriage, so there are challenges when it comes to my children merging and adjusting to the public school system. Not only did my daughter have to deal with being the home-schooled new girl, she now has to deal with the fear of what kids think of her when they find out our family structure. We have a unique situation now, since my sister wife has returned to our family in the Spring after a long absence. We have had lots of adjustments.

I do applaud you for homeschooling! It nearly broke my heart to send my children to public school, but I feel that it was the right thing to do for my family. I have left it up to my children (I have two teens) as to what they want to say about our family. I chose to drive my children out of our school district, so it does give us some isolation from my children's friends. We live eighteen minutes away from school, so having friends over has to be planned in advance. I hope that you are a peace with whatever you decide to do in the future!
Blessings,

Sarah

Back