• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

My Conversation with a Pastor

If a person believes something is a sin; e.g. eating meat on Friday, or drinking wine, or something else, it's right for that person not to do those things. They are not sinning for following their conscience. They may miss out on enjoying e.g. a sumptuous steak meal with a glass of fine red wine one Friday evening or some other blessings, but that's their loss. However, the sad reality is false teachers have poisoned the minds of women against an opportunity for them to enjoy and benefit of a lifelong union with a godly man. By teaching polygyny is a sin, when God gives no law against polygyny to make it a sin, those false teachers have destroyed any hope for joy and happiness for so many Christian women.

The need to teach the truth remains. There are so many caught up in the lies and deceit who, if they knew and believed the truth, could experience God's favour and blessings. Don't give up on this poor deceived woman, @Daniel DeLuca, but remember she is the victim of a man spinning lies that are doctrines of demons. Only the truth can deliver such a one from those lies and someone needs to be proclaiming the truth to her!
Well I planted the seed. I would prefer to exert more effort on those who put up less resistance. It's less painful than dealing with stiff-necked folks. The more people I am able to show the elephant in the room to, the more I will have on my team who can then assist with the efforts to reach the less receptive victims.

Well I planted the seed. I would prefer to exert more effort on those who put up less resistance. It's less painful than dealing with stiff-necked folks. The more people I am able to show the elephant in the room to, the more I will have on my team who can then assist with the efforts to reach the less receptive victims.
I understand completely. We exert the effort where the ground will yield the best harvest, however we continue to remove the rocks and weeds from areas nearby that it will also be able to be cultivated in time. Shalom

I find the I Cor 7:2 section interesting, and I would like to get a better idea of how to address it before I finish my response
It's a bit late for this, but it's easy to address. Just look at other uses of idios in scripture. You'll immediately see that the very first time it appears in scripture it is used for someone's "own city" (Matthew 9:1). Unless they were the only person that lived there and they owned an entire city, idios does not mean the husband is the exclusive possession of the wife either.

It's a bit late for this, but it's easy to address. Just look at other uses of idios in scripture. You'll immediately see that the very first time it appears in scripture it is used for someone's "own city" (Matthew 9:1). Unless they were the only person that lived there and they owned an entire city, idios does not mean the husband is the exclusive possession of the wife either.
It means the exact opposite actually. It means that the person belongs to that thing. Like you may belong to a city or a tribe. So Paul knew what he was doing and used the proper Greek to describe a woman who belonged to her husband. Greek is awesome because you can say exactly what you mean to say. Unfortunately, English is not the same.

Have Dr. William Luck or one of us, come to your church and debate it with the pastor. Let the pastor take the anti-polygyny position so that he can claim that he was only defending that position, and let him use all the old familiar arguments that have been thoroughly refuted, and let Dr. William Luck or whoever it is, dismantle those arguments.
You can dream.

You can dream.
Oh that is only my suggestion if the pastor is hesitant to stick his neck out. If the pastor himself refuses to accept that polygyny is acceptable, then of course they are going to ignore the debate altogether.

So here is what she said:

And here is my response:
First I want to sayt that I agree wholeheartedly that we should not twist God's Word. Unfortunately that is a lot of what i see in the first part of your response. As far as Rom 16:17-20 is concerned, we could say this about the entire Reformation movement, and how it caused division to the point where now we have the Protestant churches and the supposedly "one true Catholic church", and I KNOW you don't want to go there and try to say that we should not have had that division! There are indeed times where we need to restore the church back to its original teachings, and as I mentioned to you last night, Martin Luther was clearly pro-polygyny. I can cite some of his writings for you if you don't believe me. I find it interesting that you included I Tim 4:1, but left out verses 2-3 which tell us some of these false teachings. Among them, is the "forbidding marriage". How many women in the church have been forbidden marriage? I told you last night about the 81 year old woman up in Seagoville who finally got married after her husband's first wife died. Is it the por-polygyny people that are forbidding her marriage, or the monogamy only crowd? Use the discernment that God has given you! Forbidding marriage is a doctrine of demons and it really needs to stop! If you want to see who the false teachers are spoken of in I Peter 2:1, read that book I recommended to you on the truthbearer.org website Here is the link: Books -- The History and Philosophy of Marriage - TruthBearer.Org --- Bringing Christian Polygamy to the Churches!

You said,

Why? Where is this shown in Scripture?

You said:

This is not sufficient reason to argue either that God approved or disapproved of them, but it is sufficient reason to realize that God recognized that this is a possible definiton of marriage.

You said:

That is irrelevant. Whenever the Bible records deeds of wickedness, we typically find God sending a prophet or directly telling the individual that what he did was wicked. This NEVER occurs whenever there is an instance of polygamy except in the case of David, when he took another man's wife, and in the instance of Solomon, who clearly violated the warning against multiplying wives, as spoken in Deut 17:14-17.

Books -- The History and Philosophy of Marriage - TruthBearer.Org --- Br...​

Mark, the Founder
The History and Philosophy of Marriage or Polygamy and Monogamy Compared at TruthBearer.org

You said:

Even if we accept that this were true, and it is not, we can also see that at no time did God ever disapporove of having multiple wives. I find it interesting you chose to use the word "spouses", a word that is only found one time in all of Scripture. Most of the time it uses either the term "husband" or "wife". God gives distinct unamiguous disapproval of having multiple husbands, but somehow failed to also mention any disapproval for having multple wives. You ought to be intelligent enough to see that this is an Argument From Silence fallacy.

You said:

This is the Argument from example fallacy.

You siad:

This is dishonest and twisting Scripture. It says not to multply wives and horses andssilver or gold. Do you honestly believe that we should expel people who have more than one horse or who have a lot of silver or gold in their IRA? If not, you are being inconsistent in your application of that verse.

You said:

That is a reasonable prohibition. In the FLDS, we see that the prophet seems to be the one who gets all the wives. Not all of us are called to be deacons, bishops, or elders. Some of us have more of a calling to be singers or musicians or serve in other areas of the church. I wouldn't necessarily refer to that so much as being a prohibition from having multiple wives, but more, the deacons, bishops and elders whom Timothy and Titus were to choose from among the congregation would be men who have one wife. Single men were also prohibited from being chosen! Does this mean that we should expel men who have zero wives? If not, I find agani an inconsistent application of that passage.

You said:

Deut 17:15-17 says no such thing regarding kings being an example to follow. Many kings certainly left examples that the people should not have followed, but they did so anyway, to their own demise. Heb 13:7 says that we are to imitate the leader's faith, not marriages. I Pet 5:2-3 are instructions to the leaders, not the congregation.

You said:

That is a bunch of malarchy! You don't make a pattern out of one example. There is nowhere in Scripture that says that this is the pattern that everyone is supposed to follow.
You said:

Oh that marriage worked out so well that the woman ended up being deceived by the serpent, and her husband followed suit, bringing sin into the world upon all mankind. If you want a good lesson from that marriage, it is that the husband should lead his wife and not allow her to drag him into disobedience against God.

You siad:

OK, that is patently false. No one is ignoring the fact that God only made one wife for Adam. This is absurdly ludicrous! What does that have to do with the rest of us? The only thing we can legitimately draw from this, is the fact that having two or more wives is not required, but the only people who believe that having three wives is required, are the FLDS folks who think this is some sort of requirement to get into the Celestial kingdom!

You said:

No we don't!

You said:

If that were arequirement, then why do we not expel men and women who have ZERO wives/husbands? Those who argue against polygyny, and twist I Cor 7:2 in their efforts, deliberately ignore the context of I Cor 7:2. In fact, only a few verses down, we have Paul saying this:

Have you ever asked yourself why Paul is clearly saying that v 10-12 is a command from teh Lord, and not simply Paul's suggestions? Could it not be because v 1-9 are Paul's admonitions for how to avoid fornication, rather than an explicit command that everyone is to follow. Paul is saying that it is good to not marry, but in order to avoid fornication, go ahead and get married. That is all he is saying in verse 2.

I Timothy 3:2 is only for the selection of the leader, but again, those who use that verse ignore the fact that it is specifically regarding those offices that Paul was writing about.

You said:

That is patently false! We know that we have approval for having more than one wife (polygyny), because God's Word never condemns it, and because God's Word clearly says that it is not sin. I cited the passage in Psalms 18:20-24, but you seem to have totally disregarded that passage! I could also cite Gen 20:5-6 and Numbers 12 and II Samuel 12:8 and II Chron 24:1-3, 15-16 and Ezekiel 23:1-5 and Matt 25:1-13

I noticed that you cut and pasted the article from I Cor 7:2 from neverthirsty.org, but you did not cite your source. I was able to find it using google. If I Cor 7:2 were an explicit command, and if we were to apply it consistently, we would have to expel everyone who refuses to marry. Do you really believe that we ought to do that? That would mean you, since you don't have your own husband, and you do not wish to remarry!
It doesn’t seem right that you have left her name on the response.

Greek is awesome because you can say exactly what you mean to say. Unfortunately, English is not the same.
Actually, it is. The problem is so few people speak or understand it.

Easy example:

"Polygamy" != "Polygyny"

And "shall not be infringed" means exactly that.

Don't even ask about "democracy".

It means the exact opposite actually. It means that the person belongs to that thing. Like you may belong to a city or a tribe. So Paul knew what he was doing and used the proper Greek to describe a woman who belonged to her husband. Greek is awesome because you can say exactly what you mean to say. Unfortunately, English is not the same.
I don't think that fits with the actual Biblical usage, such as:
John 1:11 said:
He came unto his own, G2398 and his own G2398 received him not.
Jesus does not belong to us.

In fact, here it appears that the better word would have been heautou. Idios does appear to be used sometimes for actual ownership of a thing. In other words, it seems to be a more general word, like our own "own" - it can mean either "this is my city" or "this is my arm", it seems to be used both ways - but the predominant meaning is as in "my city". So when it is contrasted with heautou in 1 Cor 7:2 we get a clear meaning and can understand what is going on. But I think you're reading too much into it @phaedrus and taking this too far, because the narrow meaning you propose does not work if you substitute it into many other verses that use idios.

I don't think that fits with the actual Biblical usage, such as:

Jesus does not belong to us.

In fact, here it appears that the better word would have been heautou. Idios does appear to be used sometimes for actual ownership of a thing. In other words, it seems to be a more general word, like our own "own" - it can mean either "this is my city" or "this is my arm", it seems to be used both ways - but the predominant meaning is as in "my city". So when it is contrasted with heautou in 1 Cor 7:2 we get a clear meaning and can understand what is going on. But I think you're reading too much into it @phaedrus and taking this too far, because the narrow meaning you propose does not work if you substitute it into many other verses that use idios.
It makes perfect sense. He came unto His own people. The group He was part of and belonged to--the Judeans, and they didn't receive him.

Greek is a wonderfully complex language with an extreme precision on the meaning of words. English can't translate word for word--at least, not much of the time. Look up the conjugation of words in Greek and how it alters meaning. No word that I'm aware has just one meaning. So saying idios is used in these x locations doesn't really mean much unless it is the same conjugation in each location. Sometimes the conjugation is just telling you that it is the subject, of the sentence, other times, it is telling you something very important. When it says that Jesus is sitting at the throne, it actually means that he is sitting at the throne from that time and for forever into the future.

Last edited:
The group He was part of and belonged to
Ok, that makes sense for the use of idios, I think we've been talking at cross purposes a little here. I don't think what you're saying is the "exact opposite" of what I've been saying.

Maybe some words now that I think about it. a, but, and. I'd have to think about it more. It's been a long time since I studied Greek in college.

I have had the experience of bringing the truth of polygyny to two pastors of small congregations over the years.
Neither of them accepted the truth and neither saw their 61st year. One was much younger.
Coincidence? Maybe.
So what you’re saying is you’re basically the angel of death? It all makes sense now

Back