• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

'My Five Wives': A new Utah polygamous family on reality TV

JustAGuy

Male
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7656 ... ty-TV.html

Monday, Sept. 16 2013 - Brady Williams has five wives, 24 children but no organized religion. The newest polygamous family from Utah on reality TV considers itself progressive and independent. Williams and his wives slowly withdrew from the fundamentalist Mormon church in their rural community outside of Salt Lake City during the mid-2000s after re-evaluating their core beliefs.

The family no longer teaches the tenets of fundamental Mormonism to their children at home, opting instead to take from other teachings such as Buddhism to instill good, morale values in their two dozen children, who range in age from 2-20.

"Since we have left the religion, it's now about love and it's about commitment, and it's about happiness as a family," said Brady Williams, 43, a project manager in his brother's construction business. "It's not about the fear of hell or the promise of heaven." ...

Re: 'My Five Wives': A new Utah polygamous family on reality

Cow fam said:
Still waiting for an actual Christian to join the ranks of reality TV.
I'd sign up for cable TV again to see that!

Hey Guys,

I watched "My Five Wives" and frankly, I was amazed at the unity and love. It was genuinely a well-maintained and managed family by a guy that really appeared to have his act together. The women were real. They didn't say it was easy. They had their jealousies and idiosyncrasies, but they also genuinely loved each other, each other’s children, and their husband. I was especially touched by the way he dealt with one of his wives who is overweight. I have been in that place and know the pain that can cause, but his reassurance and unwavering love for her was priceless. They had family meetings that were organized very well. You could see he had an authority in the family, but it was not overbearing and over-controlling. It was a very organized way to run a home and family that large. I was impressed.

I have to say, too, that I am a four-square, anti-poly TV programs gal. I really hate those shows. I lived in Utah for two years. I've see a lot. I actually attended Tom Green's all-day family reunion and met and fellowshipped with him and his entire family. That was quite an experience. I saw the real deal, not the TV view of what was portrayed. I also lived by and am closely related to a family that was on 48 hours. That family was a sham. What was portrayed on TV was totally a farce. I've always had a saying that if I was able to talk to any poly woman alone for even an hour, I'd know the truth whether if what she was saying publically was just a front or not. Bottom line on that is that I know the right questions to ask a woman/sister-wife; ones that she cannot fake an answer to face-to-face. I’d know because I’ve been there. I would know if she were lying. Some things you just can’t B.S. you way through. I've gone through some very difficult paths in my life in poly. I'm thankful that most of that is in the past. Honestly, I still struggle...Christian or not. I say, “most of that is in the past,” because I have to deal with what happened to me on a daily basis…sometimes hourly basis…to hold onto the truth of my life now without sabotaging my marriage out of fear. That’s another whole story in and of itself that I need to write in our family history in “Steve’s Familial Adventures,” right? Yep, I know. Urrrrgggg…I get serious writer’s block on that one! LOL

The family in “My Five Wives” seems to have been successful with five wives for over 14 years. These are not new wives. This is an established poly family. As much as I hate watching Mormonism hold the public's attention in representing the understanding of poly, this family gets a gold star from me...and believe me, that is hard to do. Maybe more will be shown on this family that will change my mind, but as for now, I'm giving kudos to them and am truly delighted to see a family that is being successful in poly and coming into the understanding that their beliefs were false and that they are seeking the truth.

I hope we will all pray for them that the Lord will reveal Himself to them and that we will be one with them in the Lord someday. The Lord did not take them out of Mormonism for nothing. Remember that the enemy is crafty and sits like a lion ready to devour and they need our prayers. My heart goes out to them that they come into salvation and begin new adventures in God and that the Lord’s will be done with this family.

In Him,
Deborah

Seeking Great Pearl said:
I hope we will all pray for them ... the Lord did not take them out of Mormonism for nothing ... the enemy is crafty and sits like a lion ready to devour ... they need our prayers
Thank you so much for typing this, I needed to hear it.

Thanks you guys. I appreciate your comments. I, too, have been pretty hard on some of the reality shows with poly. What you both said caused me to pause and think about what I wrote as well. :shock: :oops: ;)

(I will pass on the hellos to the family! Say hi and send our love to your, too, ChrisM!)

In Him,
Deborah

although they said what they said about leaving any flavor of the Mormon religion and about exposing their kids to various spiritual paths, i noticed one brief scene in which they were in a group hug saying a prayer that ended "in Jesus name, Amen"

i've heard it said in Alcoholics Anonymous, which i've been sober in for 26 plus years, that the difference between spirituality and religion is that religion is for those afraid of going to hell and that spirituality is for those of us who've been there - since they said the were doing p m out of love and not out of fear, maybe that applies to them.

Personally, despite my own LDS background, which i don't push on others, i myself would LOVE to see a "Biblical Family" practicing p m do a reality show.

j/L "Granny" Matrika / Rolling Buffalo Woman

I often think of folks like this and think I would like to contact them. Surely, they are now getting a lot of contact and would not be able to read all the mail they get.
Maybe; Maybe not? ...but you'll never know til ya try, Right? LOL

But seriously, I've considered writing or contacting them too! (I still have to talk to hubby about that before I would make a move on something as important as this, of course) But it has crossed my mind repeatedly. So the question is, maybe the Lord is putting them on several of our hearts? That's a thought, huh? Just sayin' maybe we all should be before the Lord for His will to be done on this one. We don't want to ignore something like that if the Lord would have them be part of BiblicalFamily fellowship.

Stranger things have happened. For example, I am good friends with some poly folks in Kentucky that happen to be friends with one of the families that was?/is? on a poly reality show. Really, the circle is a lot tighter in our poly world than most folks think. ;)

Just some thoughts in love...

In Him,
Deborah

re - someone contacting them - i believe their program has a page on Face Book - i know Sister Wives does. But even if they don't have their own page yet, you can also probably leave a comment to them on TLC's facebook page. (The Learning Channel)

j/L "Granny" Matrika / Rolling Buffalo Woman

People appear to be reading the posts on the show's web site and responding at link below. Suggest posting in response to someone else's existing post because it seems to rank the whole thread higher that way (I posted the "Why get nose out of Bible?" comment about 4 down from top). Good way to promote sane (God's heart, God's love) on the subject wo/promoting same-gender marriage (which IMHO is the ultimate goal of these shows).

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/my-five-wiv ... e-show.htm

It was interesting how they got around that whole cohabitation issue by basically owning what amounts to a small apartment building. I imagine it is better than having mutiple homes spread out around town. Of course I don't agree with the whole let the kids pursue their own religion idea. What happened to "for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Then again, I'm having issues with that in my own house. :oops:

Back