• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

My thoughts.....

julieb

Women's Ministry
Staff member
Real Person
Female
I like to fix things. I like to figure out how something “works” or fits together. I enjoy making something broken work as good as new, or at least close to it. Recently, I noticed the downstairs bathroom toilet paper holder was falling off the wall on one side. I have become an expert on drywall anchors and repairing drywall holes that all those failed anchors make. So, I set out to make life better for the family by fixing the anchors on the toilet paper holder. I prayed for wisdom and hoped I didn’t have to move the entire hanger to fix it. In the end, it was a pretty easy repair. I had the right drywall inserts and screws and added a couple of small screws just for extra support. I was very proud of myself for how I had fixed something so annoying. I promptly went around the house to ask the teenagers living there to be gentle with the TP holder that I had just fixed. Would you believe that every single one of them said they didn’t even know the thing was broken! Isn’t that the way of us, so many times we are busy with our own life that we fail to see that something is “broken” or starting to fall apart in the lives of those around us. I love fixing things but I love more being the tool that God uses to “fix’ other people that he brings into my life. I might only play a small part in the repair but I still want to be a tool that is quickly found and one that is in good shape to do the task that it is needed to do. This means I have to take life a little slower so I won’t miss HIS voice telling me what to do. I also need to maintain my sharpness, my strength, my specific ability by spending time with my Savior and continually growing in his ways. I didn’t learn how to repair all sizes of drywall holes after just one repair, I have had to repair many different ones to be efficient at it. Have I always been a good tool to use? No, but as the Lord gives me opportunities to be used I desire that I will be quicker to be found and ready to be used for any purpose he has.

Last edited:
This means I have to take life a little slower so I won’t miss HIs voice telling me what to do. I also need to maintain my sharpness, my strength, my specific ability by spending time with my Savior and continually growing in his ways.

For this, THANK YOU. I needed to read that today.

Good point, sometimes it just isn't our problem to help with.

Love your post. It's great that someone gets it. Many dont. God will guide us if we only listen. He is trying to think to us. When I moved to where I live now I had no clue God was preparing me to be in a plural marriage. He guided my footsteps after telling me to take a job. Moving wasn't solely about the job. It was to meet my husband and be guided into a deeper relationship and understanding of what being a Christian is. Keep asking the Lord to lead and guide you. He will never leave you astray. The road may be difficult but it's always for your benefit in some shape or form.

A few more thoughts.....

Stories teach us, remind us, encourage us and challenge us. We preserve history with them and try to predict the future with them. We share our pain and our joy with them. We try and communicate large ideas or principles by telling analogies that put these thoughts into something known, something understood. Stories have been around since the beginning of the ages and we still rely on their usefulness, their power to help us communicate with and in turn understand others. Growing up in the Evangelical Church, I have read the stories and parables of the Bible many times. I marvel at how Jesus could take a huge spiritual idea and put it in a way that our simple brains could understand or at least start to understand. I draw encouragement and caution from the life stories of God’s people as they do their best to obey and trust in their God. I find my salvation in the life story of Jesus as the Holy Spirit imparts faith from the words that I read about my Savior. These stories bring purpose and hope to my soul and spirit. I don’t know how I would have made it through life without them.

But what about MY story? What is my story telling others? How is my story helping others? Do I even need to care about these questions? I have heard many times that a single person can make an impact on those in life if they are willing to pay attention to the needs around them and start helping where they can. One good thing a day, one passion to give themselves to, or a need of one person to help with. I think it takes great discipline to quiet our minds enough to hear what the Spirit of God is telling us to pay attention to, to care about, to take action for. Yet, when we do, we start writing a story that will help others to possibly do the same. We have stories about our efforts, our struggles and our successes that can be used by God in many different ways. I believe that each day holds thousands of opportunities to write a story that will someday maybe encourage someone else to write a better story for themselves.

How can you write a better story for yourself? Well, there are many ways but I encourage you to take the time to listen to the stories of your family, especially your children, of your friends and of the strangers that God puts in your life. Then use them to learn how to love better, serve better and think better because even when we don’t realize it, our story is being read and being listened to.

A few more thoughts.....

Stories teach us, remind us, encourage us and challenge us. We preserve history with them and try to predict the future with them. We share our pain and our joy with them. We try and communicate large ideas or principles by telling analogies that put these thoughts into something known, something understood. Stories have been around since the beginning of the ages and we still rely on their usefulness, their power to help us communicate with and in turn understand others. Growing up in the Evangelical Church, I have read the stories and parables of the Bible many times. I marvel at how Jesus could take a huge spiritual idea and put it in a way that our simple brains could understand or at least start to understand. I draw encouragement and caution from the life stories of God’s people as they do their best to obey and trust in their God. I find my salvation in the life story of Jesus as the Holy Spirit imparts faith from the words that I read about my Savior. These stories bring purpose and hope to my soul and spirit. I don’t know how I would have made it through life without them.

But what about MY story? What is my story telling others? How is my story helping others? Do I even need to care about these questions? I have heard many times that a single person can make an impact on those in life if they are willing to pay attention to the needs around them and start helping where they can. One good thing a day, one passion to give themselves to, or a need of one person to help with. I think it takes great discipline to quiet our minds enough to hear what the Spirit of God is telling us to pay attention to, to care about, to take action for. Yet, when we do, we start writing a story that will help others to possibly do the same. We have stories about our efforts, our struggles and our successes that can be used by God in many different ways. I believe that each day holds thousands of opportunities to write a story that will someday maybe encourage someone else to write a better story for themselves.

How can you write a better story for yourself? Well, there are many ways but I encourage you to take the time to listen to the stories of your family, especially your children, of your friends and of the strangers that God puts in your life. Then use them to learn how to love better, serve better and think better because even when we don’t realize it, our story is being read and being listened to.

Love this post! it is so true that our stories can help others.

Back