• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat Mystery behind 1 Corinthians 7:36-37 (virgin, daughter, betrothed or what?)

Transformator Reformator

Real Person
Male
One of the great things about polygyny topic is that it helps us to adapt hermeneutical method that equips us better at arriving to truth of God's word. As a result, we are less likely to be bound by presuppositions that handicaps our understanding.

Most recently I have consulted 11 commentators and I have not seen a hint of what I am concluding from the following passages.

And if any one doth think it to be unseemly to his virgin, if she may be beyond the bloom of age, and it ought so to be, what he willeth let him do; he doth not sin—let him marry. 37And he who hath stood stedfast in the heart—not having necessity—and hath authority over his own will, and this he hath determined in his heart—to keep his own virgin—doth well; (YLT)

But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry. 37 Nevertheless he that standeth stedfast in his heart, having no necessity, but hath power over his own will, and hath so decreed in his heart that he will keep his virgin, doeth well. (KJV)

Most other translations supply meaning betrothed, or daughter. And in order to arrive to certain meaning, commentators have to rely on certain assumptions. I am also introducing an assumption that resolves mystery about the passage.

According to one commentator Alan F. Johnson, he says about 7:25-38, "It is no exaggeration to call this passage one of the most difficult to interpret in all of Paul's letters. Why? First, because there is a great deal of uncertainty as to whom Paul is referring with the term virgins." and about 7:36-38, "exegetically it is a very difficult passage. Scholars have identified at least six possible views regarding whom Paul refers to as man (or 'anyone') and virgin." (Johnson, A. F. (n.d.). Corinthians, 1 (ivpntc, Vol 7). InterVarsity Press. page124, 129).

Some conclude that this is talking about "spiritual marriage" (marriage without sex), some that this is father giving his daughter to marriage, or two people engaged to each without consummating the marriage.

It is my conclusion that the passage makes more sense when one assumes that this is talking about a virgin girl who is slave. This is supported when verse 21 is taken into consideration which talks about male servant/slave, and then shifts to talk about slave girl who is virgin in verse 25. Big picture of the chapter is to remain in the state Christ found you and how to deal with sexual urges and here Paul explains situation when believer has a virgin servant.

Why it matters? Besides the truth, this particular passage contributes to understanding what marriage is. Intercourse with commitment is marriage, intercourse without commitment is whoredom. In this passage we see a virgin servant girl who is assigned to her master's house, but her master is evaluating whether he would be acting out "uncomely toward his virgin." The girl is already his, but she is not his wife until he has sex with her.

Did anybody see other people concluding the same thing?

Interesting verse, this could also be a verse we can use to restrict underage marriage. It seems to be saying that there’s nothing wrong with marrying off your daughter as long as she at the “bloom of age.” If she’s not at the bloom of age she can not be married off.

I believe this verse is a bit garbled in translation but is referring to fathers finding husbands for their daughters.

Interesting verse, this could also be a verse we can use to restrict underage marriage. It seems to be saying that there’s nothing wrong with marrying off your daughter as long as she at the “bloom of age.” If she’s not at the bloom of age she can not be married off.

I believe this verse is a bit garbled in translation but is referring to fathers finding husbands for their daughters.
Thank you for your contribution. If it is referring to fathers finding husbands for their daughters, how would you explain, " he that standeth stedfast in his heart, having no necessity, but hath power over his own will," OR some translations " and has power over his own will," OR "being under no necessity but having his desire under control,"? Why would a father need power over his own will in order to give his daughter to marriage?

Thank you for your contribution. If it is referring to fathers finding husbands for their daughters, how would you explain, " he that standeth stedfast in his heart, having no necessity, but hath power over his own will," OR some translations " and has power over his own will," OR "being under no necessity but having his desire under control,"? Why would a father need power over his own will in order to give his daughter to marriage?
They are already engaged to be married. But marriage starts with the sexual intercourse. This woman already belongs to the man, but they have not yet "done it" for one reason or another. Paul is simply saying if the man can not control his sexual urges - let him take his woman (perform the one flesh union/sexual relations), and she shall be his wife. Elsewhere he says - "It's better to marry than to burn with passion." So there's no point in delaying the marriage if there's sexual passion, and she's already past the bloom of youth.

Note: It would still be adultery if another man takes her instead:

Deut 22:23-27 NLT

Suppose a man meets a young woman, a virgin who is engaged to be married, and he has sexual intercourse with her. If this happens within a town, 24 you must take both of them to the gates of that town and stone them to death. The woman is guilty because she did not scream for help. The man must die because he violated another man’s wife. In this way, you will purge this evil from among you.

25“But if the man meets the engaged woman out in the country, and he rapes her, then only the man must die. 26 Do nothing to the young woman; she has committed no crime worthy of death. She is as innocent as a murder victim. 27 Since the man raped her out in the country, it must be assumed that she screamed, but there was no one to rescue her.

Last edited:
It is a difficult verse. I’m leaning into “his virgin”. If some other man had made her his, she wouldn’t be a virgin. It seems like that portion has to be about fathers.

They are already engaged to be married. But marriage starts with the sexual intercourse. This woman already belongs to the man, but they have not yet "done it" for one reason or another. Paul is simply saying if the man can not control his sexual urges - let him take his woman (perform the one flesh union/sexual relations), and she shall be his wife. Elsewhere he says - "It's better to marry than to burn with passion." So there's no point in delaying the marriage if there's sexual passion, and she's already past the bloom of youth.

Note: It would still be adultery if another man takes her instead:

Deut 22:23-27 NLT

Suppose a man meets a young woman, a virgin who is engaged to be married, and he has sexual intercourse with her. If this happens within a town, 24 you must take both of them to the gates of that town and stone them to death. The woman is guilty because she did not scream for help. The man must die because he violated another man’s wife. In this way, you will purge this evil from among you.

25“But if the man meets the engaged woman out in the country, and he rapes her, then only the man must die. 26 Do nothing to the young woman; she has committed no crime worthy of death. She is as innocent as a murder victim. 27 Since the man raped her out in the country, it must be assumed that she screamed, but there was no one to rescue her.
That’s amazing. Marriage starts with sex. But a man that lies with a virgin is guilty of adultery.

How you guys manage such mental gymnastics continually astonishes me.

Earthis just said it. Not about a man marrying a virgin. But that a man who forces a betrothed virgin committed adultery.

They are already engaged to be married
This is an assumption. It assumes that this was suggested practice by Corinthian men to withhold consummation of marriage as if a way to be ascetic, especially in light of difficult period. This may have been the practice. But people who are engaged and withhold consummation of marriage would be in violation of "But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil." And "But above all, my brethren, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath. But let your “Yes” be “Yes,” and your “No,” “No,” lest you fall into [i]judgment.

Denying promised conjugal right to an engaged woman would be cruel and in violation. (Exodus 21:10). And denying her assumption of obligation to provide food and clothing is also cruel.

I do not believe early believers acted like this. In fact in earlier chapter there was a man who bragged that he married his father's wife as if it was something worth bragging about. Perhaps he was thinking, "look how great I am, I am taking care of my deceased father's wife". (1 Corinthians 5:2).

For this reason assumption that the passage discusses slave girl who is virgin would best fill in the gaps. Try to read the whole chapter with this assumption and it seems that it makes more sense in my estimation. However, all interpretations have to use certain preconceived notions to derive their conclusions. I just think that preconceived notion about slave virgin fits better in the context of whole chapter.

That’s amazing. Marriage starts with sex. But a man that lies with a virgin is guilty of adultery.

How you guys manage such mental gymnastics continually astonishes me.
It’s not as bendy as though of you who are trapped in marriages that somehow magically happened to you without any knowledge of how on your parts.

Earthis just said it. Not about a man marrying a virgin. But that a man who forces a betrothed virgin committed adultery.
If they are engaged together - how is that so hard to understand? How can a man and woman be married without sex involved? An engagement means they will have it done. It’s not a “friendship.” It’s an arrangement for a future one flesh union. The Creator of the Universe says while a man is engaged to another woman - another man can’t take her without committing adultery.

It is estimated that in Rome about 30% of its population were slaves in 1st century. In Corinth probably was similar ratio.

It would be consistent with Torah where a man would get his freedom after seven years but a woman slave stays with her master for life.

That is why Paul would address separately women servants who are virgins

Were you called while a servant? (Most likely male servant context) Do not worry about it. But if you may become free, do so. 22 For he who is called in the Lord while a servant is the Lord’s freeman. Likewise, he who is called while free is Christ’s servant. 23 You were bought at a price. Do not be the servants of men. 24 Brothers, let every man, in whatever condition he is called, remain there with God.

25 Now concerning virgins, (
most likely context female servant who is virgin) I have no command from the Lord.

It would be odd to leave out female servants who would make about 15% of population.

Or

Would it mean that advice for both male and female servants is located in verse 21 and 22. I think these verses pertain only to male servants.

It is estimated that in Rome about 30% of its population were slaves in 1st century. In Corinth probably was similar ratio.

It would be consistent with Torah where a man would get his freedom after seven years but a woman slave stays with her master for life.

That is why Paul would address separately women servants who are virgins

Were you called while a servant? (Most likely male servant context) Do not worry about it. But if you may become free, do so. 22 For he who is called in the Lord while a servant is the Lord’s freeman. Likewise, he who is called while free is Christ’s servant. 23 You were bought at a price. Do not be the servants of men. 24 Brothers, let every man, in whatever condition he is called, remain there with God.

25 Now concerning virgins, (
most likely context female servant who is virgin) I have no command from the Lord.

It would be odd to leave out female servants who would make about 15% of population.

Or

Would it mean that advice for both male and female servants is located in verse 21 and 22. I think these verses pertain only to male servants.
Interesting take. I’ll look into it! You very well could be on to something there.

I just don’t know junk slavery is a normative state in God’s economy.
I agree. However, when you see government assigning life sentences for someone's third violation for possession of marijuana, one ends up asking which culture was more tyrannical. and when one sees people crippling themselves on streets of Skid Row of Los Angeles and other cities, I ask would it be more compassionate thing for a person to sell themselves to servitude to someone who will provide order to their life. There has to be wisdom in God regulating it with required compassion. Hence if there was a man from Skid Row and I was wealthy man, and he approached me to serve me for few years and I would give him shelter and food in exchange, I would take him in. When people joining gangs and organized criminal syndicates they kind of selling themselves to slavery, we just do not call it slavery.

But in no way I would be promoting slavery. Verse 23 "You were bought at a price. Do not be the servants of men" is supreme.

Back