• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Never married by a preacher...

rachelle1973

I am the 2nd wife. When my husband and I were "married" it was without a preacher. We simply made promises to one another. Now a year and half later I am wondering if it would be a "real" marriage in Gods eyes. We are 100% married but I am wondering now what the bible would say about the fact that a preacher was not involved. Any ideas...In our defense we didn't even know that there were Christian polygamist, we thought that there were only mormons and we had no desire to go that route for marriage. Thank you for your help.

Can you give a single example of a marriage in the Bible where a preacher was needed to make it an "official" ceremony? I have not found any, but would be interested if anyone else has.

Here is a link you may find useful:

http://www.biblepolygamy.com/By%20The%2 ... n%20Me.pdf

If YOU feel the need to make it more official then I would suggest you sit down and figure out just exactly what you need - do you need a ceremony? do you need relatives? do you need a wedding cake? do you need flowers? For me I needed me, him, God and a covenant promise before God. For the wedding at last years retreat she needed (I don't think the word need is too strong - feel free to correct me if I am wrong) to have a "real wedding" complete with white dress, flowers, cake, guests, etc. I don't think either of us is wrong.

The only time I get a strong opinion on this is when the first wife/other wives start rolling their eyes at the extravagance, or pushing for something more elaborate because that is what they would want. I really feel that it should be up to the incoming wife in discussion with the husband to figure out what and how to make it a meaningful event for them.

If you feel that you need a "do-over" and want to "fix" this then start by figuring out what it is you are missing.

Can you find a single example of a preacher being involved in a marriage in the Bible? Have a think about it. A preacher is never involved anywhere. In the detailed laws God gave the Israelites through Moses, did he ever say a priest had to perform a wedding for the marriage to be valid? In the New Testament, do we have any such command for Christian ministers?

There is not a single command or example of a preacher conducting a wedding anywhere in the scriptures.

Rather, we have the simple instruction:
Genesis 2:24 said:
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
Biblically, marriage is when you leave home, shack up together and have sex. Which you've done. So you're married. Even the promises you made to each other, although good, were not necessary for marriage. Marriage is an extremely simple matter.

Throughout history, "marriage" was simply the name for the relationship formed when a man and a woman started living together. Often this was celebrated with a religious ceremony, but that was not necessary. It was not until 1583, at the Council of Trent, that the Catholic church decreed that a marriage had to be performed by a priest for it to be valid. This was an extrabiblical instruction added because of the reformation, intended to reduce the number of Christians leaving the church and joining the Protestant churches by saying that they'd be living in sin if they didn't stay in the Catholic system. The Protestant reformers at the time insisted that marriage was not a religious matter, but a civil matter, so if it was to be regulated it would be a matter for the civil government - which started government marriage registration. Over time, both government marriage registration and a church ceremony have come to be seen as necessary for a marriage to be valid. But this is only a very recent blip in history. It is the result of questionable recent religious and political decisions. And it is not founded in the Bible at all.

Don't question the validity of your marriage. You're married, without a doubt.

I'll add a few illustrations to help you see this from a few different perspectives, hopefully to reassure you.

1) Homosexual marriage is becoming legal in different places around the world - it's just been legalised in our country for instance. A number of churches support it. So there are an increasing number of homosexual couples who have been married both by a preacher and in the eyes of the law. Are these real marriages? If marriage is something that is signed off by a preacher, then they're married and you're not. If marriage is as defined in Genesis 2:24, then you're married and they're not. Which sounds correct?

2) If marriage is when you shack up and have sex, then a marriage ceremony (whether or not it involves a preacher, government paperwork, a big sit-down meal or whatever) is simply a celebration of something else. Something that is either about to happen that evening, or in many cases something that actually happened some time ago... It's great to have a celebration, but it doesn't make you married. If a monogamous couple shack up and never get around to having a wedding with a preacher and government paperwork, are they married or not? Clearly they are married, whether or not they recognise that themselves, as they've still done exactly what Adam and Eve did.

3) The most detailed description of a Biblical marriage that I can think of is actually in the Apocrypha, Tobit 6:10-8:9 (link below). It is very interesting reading. Note that this is a very unusual tale, and by quoting this I am not making any comment as to whether the spiritual elements of this account are actually valid or not (the canonicity of the book of Tobit is way off-topic), this is just a very detailed description of an ancient Hebrew marriage so well worth reading. In essence, Tobias turns up at Raguel's place, asks to marry his daughter, Raguel agrees, takes a blank piece of paper and writes up a marriage contract on the spot, they have tea, tell Tobias he'll find his wife in her bedroom, he goes to her, prays with her, sleeps with her, and they're married. Simple. And given that this is a very detailed, 2 chapter long description of what happened, it is particularly noteworthy that the one thing they DIDN'T do was send for a priest!
http://ebible.org/bible/kjv/Tobit.htm

eternitee said:
Can you give a single example of a marriage in the Bible where a preacher was needed to make it an "official" ceremony?
FollowingHim said:
Can you find a single example of a preacher being involved in a marriage in the Bible?
:lol: :lol:
Great minds think alike and post almost exactly the same thing at the same time... Should be doubly reassuring!

Thank you for the time that you gave me in answering. My husband read the post kissed me and walked away. My sister wife (who is not a Christian at this time) simply said. "I really wish we had some friends that lived around here to get together with". I think part of my thinking is to prove to other "christians" that I am married and not a sinner going to hell because I am the 2nd wife. My concern is that I finish this Christian race well and that my family and friends know that I finished well, but sadly right now I am considered a sinner. So I was trying to help them when I know that I am married to my husband. The funny thing was trying to figure out how we were going to work out this relationship. After we were married my Love still slept with his first wife for 2 weeks till we got the every other night thing going. I still tease him till this day that he slept with her on our wedding night haha. Thanky you again.

rachelle1973 said:
"I really wish we had some friends that lived around here to get together with".

I just got the biblical families newsletter and it looks like next summer's retreat is going to be somewhat close to you. It can be a little intimidating to walk into a room full of a bunch of strangers, but please rest assured that you will feel very welcome and comfortable. I really do recommend that you try to make it, because it really will help.

rachelle1973 said:
I think part of my thinking is to prove to other "christians" that I am married and not a sinner going to hell because I am the 2nd wife. My concern is that I finish this Christian race well and that my family and friends know that I finished well, but sadly right now I am considered a sinner. So I was trying to help them when I know that I am married to my husband.

In order for them to consider you married, then they would have to accept that polygamy is a valid marriage structure. In order for them to do that, they would have to crack the Bible and read what it says. This could lead to not only finding out that they have been wrong their whole lives about the definition of marriage, but maybe other areas of their lives that they hold sacred. The majority of people do not want to do that as it would undermine too much of what they hold dear. Ask yourself this - who is it that has the problem? They do, not you. God's opinion of who you are should carry so much more weight than theirs. The good news is they are not going to ultimately stand in judgment of you.

The other thing is that the public's opinion continues to change in our favor. The best thing you can do is to live your life, live it well, be an example of the positive side of polygamy and allow that to influence their opinions. It is unlikely you will persuade them with words or Bible verses, but they will be persuaded by seeing in action that their pre-conceived ideas are incorrect.

rachelle1973 said:
The funny thing was trying to figure out how we were going to work out this relationship. After we were married my Love still slept with his first wife for 2 weeks till we got the every other night thing going. I still tease him till this day that he slept with her on our wedding night haha.

I have often said that our main difficulty in living this way is figuring out the "correct" way to do things. It is not like we can look at our parents marriages for a blueprint of what works and what does not. I just got finished reading "Love Times Three" by the Dargers. They all grew up in polygamy so I was VERY surprised to see they went through the same process of figuring out exactly how they were going to structure their marriage and what was acceptable behavior and what was not. You'd think they would all just do what they saw their parents do, but apparently not.

If some of the people who currently consider you a sinner are willing to actually consider the Bible carefully about this, give them copies of the book "why do you believe that", and print the article Eternitee linked to for them. And pray. If you can persuade even one person that will be helpful for you in your life, and possibly surprise others enough to get them to consider this more carefully too. Ultimately the Holy Spirit has to do the persuading. Pick very key individuals to focus on.

Sadly most people are unlikely to actually be willing to consider this biblically, however over time they may gradually come to accept you, or at least reject you less, if they see positive results in your life. So don't worry about these people too much, focus on being the best wife you can be and pray that people can come to see that.

In Genesis it talks about how Isaac saw Rebecca for the first time and he took her into his mother's tent and was comforted for his mother's death - and after that she is called his wife. Also in the nativity story in the Gospels it said Joseph was going to put Mary away privately divorcing her, because she was pregnant; however an angel came to tell him that what (or who) was in Mary's womb was holy, etc. And then Joseph took her into his home and they are said to be married.

Just a thought!

j/L Matrika 52 / "Granny" Matrika / Rolling Buffalo Woman

rachelle1973 and to all others on this message board,

If you feel the "need" or have a desire " just because" to have a Covenant marriage ceremony overseen by a minister, then, as a Licensed and Ordained Minister, should I be at any retreat or if you happen to be near my neck of the woods ( and I am home from working offshore ) then I offer my services to "officiate" said Covenant Marriage ceremony. If you wish to have this done you may contact me via personal message here or contact the administrators of the board who have my direct contact information.

Back