• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

workmx

Hello. I'm a person seeking god.

I was raised catholic, but have been having doubts recently.

I was wondering if you all could help.

Welcome to this board, workmx.

What are your doubts?

Welcome workmx to Biblical Families.

One of my favourite bible verses is "Everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved".

I hope you share some more.

ylop

I'm a new member not really because I believe in polygamy, but I'm researching what the format is for introducing a new wife to the marriage even if the wife of his youth doesn't agree with the lifestyle. Could anyone enlighten me on what the process is.

IMHO, the first step of the process is to have a foundation for your beliefs. If you don't believe, why should your first wife even give your reasons the time of day. Also, if the first wife cant get on board, why would you go through all the trouble just to get a new first wife, cause that's what she'll be when the wife of your youth hits the road. IF what you do to add to your family doesnt build your family, you're doin sumpin wrong.

Thank yo so much. I really wish my husband could talk to you guys. He has always had an infidelity problem and I feel he is seeking this lifestyle thinking it's going to change him, but to me he needs a heart change not a belief change.

I was raised in a variety of denominations. As an adult I was in the Catholic Church for a time. All the while, seeking God. He called me out of that Church. I'm simply a Follower of Jesus Christ now. Some call Him Yeshua. I am willing to try to answer questions you may have about your doubts.

I have no doubts and am very secure in what I believe. There is not enough evidence stating that polygamy is correct just as you all say there's nothing that says it's wrong. It's not worth the risk of my salvation to step out into a lifestyle that I find more scriptures to say that it is not correct for now a days just as slavery is not.

It's not worth the risk of my salvation to step out into a lifestyle that I find more scriptures to say that it is not correct for now a days just as slavery is not.

@pdmyv I can understand where you are coming from with your last few posts. It definitely makes it easier on the first wife if there is a track record of faithfulness from what I have seen, although there are stories of wives with faithful husbands who still have difficulties making the transition.

That being said, I personally haven't seen anywhere in scripture where your salvation is affected by an additional wife. If you know of some, I would of course be glad to know of them.

I, personally came to an understanding about this lifestyle last fall and began studying it very seriously to try to find truth. As I really studied the passages for and against in depth, I began to find that the typical interpretation that is accepted in our christian culture was not really what was provable from scripture, even in the New Testament. When I began studying 1st and 2nd Century Christianity to try to find historical evidence of polygyny being abandoned or abolished or whatever, I really couldn't find anything until after the Roman Catholic Church got involved and that was so the inheritance would come to the Church instead of the family.

My own personal study concluded that the negatives that are taught by people using scripture are either misunderstood, or are deliberately mischaracterized to support the culture dictated by Rome 1500 years ago. There are lots of good articles and threads listed on this site studying this thought out.

Not every situation or home will succeed as a plural family. Not every man is qualified to be the husband of more than one wife, in fact, I would say that some aren't qualified to be the husband of A wife. These qualifications, or lack thereof should be addressed and live or die on their own merits without conflating the issue with whether or not the scriptures agree or disagree.

Howdy @pdmyv, I'm glad you are aboard here. You have found a warm and loving place here. You shouldn't find anyone here beating you over the head with this doctrine. We prefer folks to come to this awareness in fear and trembling before the Almighty and really weigh the evidence for itself, without ANY cultural or denominational glasses on.

I would suggest reading the entirety of the website first. That is something every poster should do first. After reading our reasons for believing as we do, you can hone your posts better to get clarification from some of us.

Oh, and don't forget the ladies chat every Tuesday evening!

There is not enough evidence stating that polygamy is correct just as you all say there's nothing that says it's wrong. It's not worth the risk of my salvation to step out into a lifestyle that I find more scriptures to say that it is not correct for now a days just as slavery is not.
I'm sure many of us have experienced the "well the Bible says this but we don't do that anymore either" from someone trying to justify their position. Heck - I was one of those people at one time! I believe the Bible is a starting place; we can't use the Bible without prayer and faith. Jesus said that the Old Testament / old covenant is still important, and I think it's worth nothing that many Old Testament people lived polygamy.
In today's society, it's a choice - or definitely should be. I'm not going into polygamy because my husband forced me to - not by any stretch of the imagination. We both came to this decision after years of thought, prayer, communications, and debate, and we believe this is where God is leading us.
If you don't believe in living polygamy, that's entirely your right. However, on behalf of everyone, I ask that you be respectful as you are on a page where members obviously DO believe in living polygamy. I don't think any of us have come to the decision lightly, so let's please leave the judgement to God. Thank you!

I was raised Episcopalian, and have definitely gone through times of doubt myself. The worst decision I made was to succumb to those doubts instead of searching Him and trusting His word. I've found that going to church every week is a HUGE help. If you don't like your church - change!! It's incredibly important to surround yourself with a community that you trust and that is supportive of you and your walk with God. If you don't know where to go - pray! God led me to a church that was incredibly welcoming and supportive. When I told a couple of members that I was doubting, I was met with support, prayer, and encouragement, which strengthened my faith and secured my belief that I came to the right church for me.
I am no longer with the Episcopalian church, but only because I found a different church that works better for me. I think the important thing is to find the "right for you" avenue to Jesus. He made us all unique - it makes sense, then, to have different ways of worship and different churches! Figure out what type of worship is right for you, and jump into it head first.
Good luck, and we'll be praying!

Back