• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

"No man comes to the Father, unless the Spirit draws him..."

Tali

Real Person
Female
I love testimonies about God doing unusual things, especially when it comes to the lengths He'll go to in order to draw someone back to Christ. A few nights ago we got to spend some time getting caught up with one of our few friends who "gets it" in regards to PM, and she had a wonderful testimony re: her "prodigal" returning to our Father, as well as the unlikely way in which that happened.

She has a son who, though he was raised a Christian, has had a life long battle with substances. To add to that, a few years back he fell in with some bad apples, got caught with them while they were committing theft and did time for it, was in a truly crazy drug based marriage, and for awhile lived out in the woods in the homeless community near Nashville. Everyone but God and his momma had given up on him, and his mom is the quintessential intercessor about whom gospel songs are written.

It was during his homeless season, exactly three years ago, that our daughter was on a nearly year long bicycle trip, and came to live with us during the winter months. She, too was raised in a Christian home, claims long ago to have embraced the "faith" of atheism, is a research scientist, and right now has no desire to hear the gospel, let alone spread it. "But God..." as they say..... ;)

Unbeknownst to us, his plight and the result of his choices really got to her, and she used to lay awake at night worrying about him, (who knows, maybe she even prayed for him! :eek: ) She was understandably afraid for his life. Also unbeknownst to us, even though she isn't walking with God, the fact that she would save her money, get in shape, get a bike, plan her route and endure all that she did while on her trip, made him lay awake wondering what in the world he was doing with his life. "If this' little girl' can do it, then so can I," he told himself. Providentially he got a bicycle, and literally pedaled away from his broken state. For the past two years he has been clean,sober, walking with God, is living in FL with an elderly gentleman who is an excellent example of "living godly in Christ Jesus," and has held down a real job with a real paycheck. It is the longest time in his life that he has been a contributing member of society.

Now, to our knowledge our girl hasn't "changed her tune" re: returning to her roots, but we both have chuckled at the prospect of having this young man who became like a little brother to her look her in the eye some day and say, "You know, God really used you to show me that I needed to get right with Him..."

Truth is often stranger than fiction, and I hope this encourages some of the many of us who have kids who have "squandered their inheritance," as it can sometimes be a long wait of modeling the Father's behavior of going and looking to see if they are coming back home to His fold. When they do, what a party heaven will throw! :D :lol:

Re: "No man comes to the Father, unless the Spirit draws him

Thank you, Ali. Thank you. I needed that. Got some who are wandering myself.

My oldest son, during his "athiest, Taoist" stage, reassured me oddly enough that "All who wander are not lost". Some years later, he directed my attention to his testimony on MySpace about how he just couldn't get away from Jesus' sacrifice, and so was now a Christian. He's now married to a lovely Christian lady and active in his church.

As long as there is life, there is hope indeed!

You are welcome, kind sir. Actually, it was Steve who had the feeling that someone needed to hear it and encouraged me to share. I am glad it gave some nourishing broth to your spiritual bones. :)

CecilW said:
Thank you, Ali. Thank you. I needed that. Got some who are wandering myself.

My oldest son, during his "athiest, Taoist" stage, reassured me oddly enough that "All who wander are not lost". Some years later, he directed my attention to his testimony on MySpace about how he just couldn't get away from Jesus' sacrifice, and so was now a Christian. He's now married to a lovely Christian lady and active in his church.

As long as there is life, there is hope indeed!

You brought to mind one of my favorite quotes, that I keep always in my heart. It is not from the Bible, but it has always reminded me that no matter what I or anyone I love may appear to be, who we are inside, our pureness of heart and soul and love, through faith never really fades, it just appears to fade.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

I was brought up a very strict Baptist as a child and later converted to Methodism. I was raised in fear of God. I don't remember hearing about love from the pulpit when I was little. Our church closed and the closest Protestant church was the Methodist Church so we started going there. Now I was not baptized as a baby I was dedicated as Baptists are, so my parents had no idea what to do with me when I reached the age that in the Methodist Church I would be confirmed. So they were in a quandary because I had not yet accepted Christ as my savior and were pushing me and we went back to the now reopened Baptist Church where I started to take classes to be baptized. I was very confused and feeling very forced and afraid of God again, which really doesn't help. One night that summer we were having a terrible lightening storm, where I lived in the Catskills it could be very dangerous and my horse had not come down the hill to be put in the stable that night. We couldn't see him so I knew he was hiding in the woods. I was so frightened, because trees often got hit and went down in our woods and the thought of him up there alone potentially getting hurt overwhelmed me, but my parents wouldn't let me go to find him because they were afraid for me. I went to bed, unable to sleep, praying that my horse be safe and something happened....I, who was terrified of that weather myself, finally got up and went out into the rain and wind and lightening. Everyone else was in bed and I could barely see my way up the hill into the woods. I called and called and called for him, crying and asking Jesus to help me find him. It was dark and I was so scared in that woods, but suddenly it was as if there was more light and I was less wet and I stopped being afraid and then there in front of my was my beautiful white horse, softly whinnying to me. He was soaked, but safe and he and I were guided somehow out of the woods, down the hill, to the barn. The next Sunday I told our pastor I was ready for baptism I was 11 almost 12.
I tell this story, a story I tell no one really for a reason, all the prodding, threatening, and fear in the world was not going to make me accept Christ, officially. I never realized you see that I didn't have to glitter to be gold (worthy) in my heart until that night...it was the love and protection I felt that night that made me realize I was saved by Christ, because I knew he literally saved me, because he loved me and my beloved horse that night. Crazy story right??? I have wandered in my life, people often do, but I have never lost my faith not really, because some things may be deep inside and not on the surface for a while, but if they were real to begin with they don't wither away or get killed off by the cold world. It is always the Love that brings me around and keeps me going....

Jen M

Beautiful story, Jen, and I'm sure we all thank you. I sure do.

I went through my own period of wandering, and God used the music of a rock musician (*gasp*) and the writings of an atheist (*bigger gasp*) to draw me back to Himself in a vastly improved relationship.

He's downright AWESOME! And can we, who claim to represent Him in this world, be any less gently persistent in Love towards each other?

Oh Cecil!!! not a rock musician and an atheist...I'm gasping so much I am passing out due to hyperventilation...Joking...If you knew me in person you would know that we must be alike in some ways then, because there are so many things in this life to learn from...if it makes a person stronger and more filled with faith and love through God then it just does. What's the expression??? The Lord works in mysterious ways!!! The poem I quoted is from (*triple gasp*) a fantasy/science fiction series. Almost all of which, by the way, are just novels based on Christianity in one form or another. So there I said it!!!
So in the words sung by England Dan and John Ford Coley in 1979 written by Todd Rundgren...."Light of the world, shine on me, Love is the answer" I sing this song and listen to this song everyday because to me it says it all and keeps my spirit strong and it has not always been strong that is for sure....To me it is Christ's message of love and peace that has kept me alive through everything I have made it through in life. Even when I have faltered it is that message that keeps me going!!!! Love is the answer!!!

Wow, what a great prodigal son story Ali, and Jen thank you for sharing that testimony.
this an awesome post. I tried to post a prayer request, but it constantly drops my writing.
I never know if it is going to disappear. Please pray for my nieces, who are being brought up
in the mormon faith. I had the opportunity to witness to the 10 y/o and she asked if I thought
her Mom was saved. Uh ohh,, I told her to ask her. Well you can imagine what happened.
Next thing you know there is two guys coming to the house. I'm sure they were trying to repair
the "damage" I took her to the intro in her bk of mormon and showed her that it says she has
to work to get to heaven. then I showed her Eph 2:8-9 Anyway please pray that I will continue
to have the opper. to continue to wittle away 'gently' the mormon lies.
Well so far so good. Thanks in advance dede

Back