• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Oath and Swearing

Dairyfarmer

Male
With the up coming elections I wanted to get some opinions on this subject. All of the politicians upon winning their so called election they take an oath of office with their hand on the bible. So if someone votes for that person wouldn't that person be causing them to sin? For God says only to make oaths to him. And also a lot of people when they go to court swear to tell the truth. Yes I know a person can affirm but to me that is just the same.

Remember God only makes good days!

Dairyfarmer

Using the few brain cells that I have working this morning, this is how I see it. As the elected person stands making his oath, He is making his oath to the Lord ( regardless if he believes it or not ) and all we are doing is being a witness to said oath.

I suspect the swearing of oaths and where Yahuashua said to swear not at all was about those who swore and either didn't intend to keep the oath, or swore without thinking of the consequences. I'd have to go study the issue, but let's consider the following:

The Nazarite vow was a common one for the disciples to take after Yahushua was gone. Paul took one, it appears like Timothy took one.

We've all been baptised/immersed, right? Is that not an oath swearing we will follow the master?

Face,
I see what you are saying here. We make a spoken confession of our faith in Y'shua thus making an implied oath along with being baptized being another implied oath to fully follow Him.......Cool!!!!

^_^ said:
I suspect the swearing of oaths and where Yahuashua said to swear not at all was about those who swore and either didn't intend to keep the oath, or swore without thinking of the consequences. I'd have to go study the issue, but let's consider the following:

Yes, I think you're on the right track there. We teach our children to not promise anything they aren't 100% sure they will be able to do. A promise or an oath is a serious thing, not to be taken lightly.

^_^ said:
The Nazarite vow was a common one for the disciples to take after Yahushua was gone. Paul took one, it appears like Timothy took one.

Are you saying that Paul took a Nazarite vow? I had never heard of that before.

^_^ said:
We've all been baptised/immersed, right? Is that not an oath swearing we will follow the master?

This, I'm not sure I agree with you on, though I think it's more a "fuzzy" difference. I see baptizing as a public display of the result of the oath you've taken. You've been reborn into a new creation by accepting Christ and making an oath to follow him.

Question: Would you say, then, that those who haven't been baptized haven't made a full oath to follow God? Just curious. :)

Respectfully yours,
WomanSeekingGod

You are correct, the baptism/immersion is a sign of the oath and not the oath it'self. And no, I would not be of the persuasion that someone who had not yet been immersed was any less responsible for their vow as one who had been

As far as the Nazarite vow, it's referenced twice in Acts;
Act 18:18 And Sha’ul, having stayed several days more, having taken leave of the brothers, was sailing for Syria, and Priscilla and Aqulas were with him, having shaved his hair at Kenhrea, for he had taken a vow.

Act 21:23 “So do this, what we say to you: We have four men who have taken a vow.
Act 21:24 “Take them and be cleansed with them, and pay their expenses so that they shave their heads. And all shall know that what they have been informed about you is not so, but that you yourself also walk orderly, keeping the Torah.

The only known vow that involved shaving the head and sacrifices was the Nazarite vow. And if you read further on, amazingly enough, Paul was going to actually offer an animal sacrifice the day he got arrested and was sent to Rome.

Back