• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

One More Thing

truthfinder1967

One More Thing

Mark 10:17 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?
Mark 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.
Mark 10:19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.
Mark 10:20 And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.
Mark 10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
Mark 10:22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.
Mark 10:23 And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
Mark 10:24 And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!
Mark 10:25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Good Morning Brothers and Sisters,

I start this off by using a segment of scripture that we are all familiar with, but looking at it hopefully from a different aspect that may not have been looked at before. Let me start by making a distinction between words and their meanings, to test and to tempt. We as Christians are always tested by God. Like the tempering of a good sword, we are tempered to become the best we can, and this happens to us through the travails of life. Job comes to mind as a godly man that was tested by God, and tempted by Satan, to see if Job would break and lose faith in God, to denounce him. Abraham was tested by God to see if he would Abraham would obey him, no matter what God asked of him. Satan tempted Christ our savior in the desert, to see if the king of kings would bow down to him. Therein lies the major difference, God tests us to make us better people, not with doing anything sinful, but to see if we do the righteous thing. The devil tempts us to see if we fall from grace by doing the things that are wrong. So to was Christ the Lord testing this man that came to him.

Keep in mind brothers and sisters, we have the blessing of having the written word in front of us to consult, to study upon and to learn what God wants of us. In this time, there was no New Testament that was written, and any rabbinical writings were few and far in between. Many who lived under the Law of Moses did so through word of mouth, past down from generation to generation. The whole Old Testament as we know it the Torah and the Talmud, were done this way through the general public, all 613 laws. When Christ said in answer to the man, “Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.”, is wasn’t necessary for Christ to state all the laws, but in general to state the example of the law of Moses as a whole. We all can see that the man answered back that he had kept the laws. Notice that Christ loved the man, its meaning that the man had told Christ the truth in this manner. Christ who could peer into the man’s soul to see if he was telling the truth, which apparently he did because Christ loved him. This isn’t to say that the man was perfect, neither was Abraham, Moses, Noah, David and so on, they were men of God trying their best with what they had to glorify God and to live righteously. Since Jesus loved this man, he probably could be in the same league as those I just mentioned.

Now here is the test to see if you can do just “One more thing”, “One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.” We know there is no where listed a command or law written anywhere in the Old Testament that requires a person to give everything they have to the poor. There is a law to leave your entire crops(your entire earnings) every seventh year, to leave the corners every year, to leave the droppings of fruit, and to not glean the entire crop bare, all these commands are for us concerning the poor, and since Christ loved the man, we can assume the man had observed these laws as well. So when Christ told him, asked him, to sell all he had and to follow him, this was not in scripture, this was not written down, the bible was silent on this, this is the first he had ever heard of such a thing. He had followed the Law of Moses, to the best that he could do, faithfully. So when Christ tested him with “One More Thing”, he failed the test. The bible is full of “One more things” that God asks of us, he is testing us, tempering us, to make us into the beacons of light to the world. This never ends and most of us can tell, the toil in our own lives suggests that we are tested with doing the right thing everyday.

The bible is silent on many things, this may be because the commands and laws we are needing answers to are either missing and yet to be found in the desert or cave, or that God left them silent because he knows that we will need to be tested on how well we have developed as Christians and children of God. I do not know the answer to this, but the word of God is only our foundation, our strongest foundation we can have, yet we are still tested by God, tempered into steel, to become more than we are. What good are tests if you have all the answers, so to does God leave silent issues that we are to learn, grow and decide for ourselves what God wants from us.

Hebrews 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
Hebrews 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
Hebrews 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

This is a powerful statement from scripture, “even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.”, to reason and learn, to let God show us what he has left out and made silent in scripture. We must use the foundation that God has given us to build upon. When we are tested with our own, “One more thing”, we can pass muster and be pleasing in the sight of the Lord.

God Bless

I just want to say that is one of the most challenging words that I have heard in a very long time.....

Thanks for being a blessing, and sharing.

As we say back home, "That'll preach!"

1 Timothy 5:8
But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

Giving all and pursuing is a luxary of the unmarried and those without childern or married with older children. Those of us with childeren to raise may not exactly follow the directions Christ gave to an individual that probably did not have kids. When our children are gone we may (and I know those who have) devote all and give all to missions or service, and no mater our state we must use our resources to help the poor or anyone with needs.

He who can be single can recive this, we who marry must be concerned for our wife and children for a time, until the children are on their own, only then are we at librety to pursue the kingdom in the fullness you described.

I understand what you're saying TS, but this passage is the premier guilt trip passage. I can't give assent that Christ saying this to a person while he was on earth equates a call to all of us to literely do it, if for no other reason than that he isn't on earth in a physical form that we can wander around after. We may fast, but when Christ was on earth he said to feast becuase the time he was here was special.

There is no doubt that there is a call to give all of ourselves to Christ, but without a physical Christ to follow we have to do it in our own capacity. Some might literely sell all, give all, and go live in a mission\outreach like Ole Anthony. For myself my home is God given, and a nessisary place for raising children and for outreach (as we even now have someone living with us to get established). The time may come when I sell all and go, but now I'm not falling short by not, rather I would be neglecting my duty to my family if I did.

Jerimiah prophesied a new law written on the heart rather than on the scroll. I think there is no disagreement here that this is the law of Christ, the covenent of Christs blood. To that end no one should expect (though we all know many seem too) the new law to be an encyclopedia of everything you may and may not do. Like you said TS, reason and learn.

*I'm on a compact keyboard that really throws off my typing, sorry bout that untill I get my main computer fixed.

Tlaloc said:
1 Timothy 5:8
But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

Giving all and pursuing is a luxary of the unmarried and those without childern or married with older children. Those of us with childeren to raise may not exactly follow the directions Christ gave to an individual that probably did not have kids. When our children are gone we may (and I know those who have) devote all and give all to missions or service, and no mater our state we must use our resources to help the poor or anyone with needs.

He who can be single can recive this, we who marry must be concerned for our wife and children for a time, until the children are on their own, only then are we at librety to pursue the kingdom in the fullness you described.

I understand what you're saying TS, but this passage is the premier guilt trip passage. I can't give assent that Christ saying this to a person while he was on earth equates a call to all of us to literely do it, if for no other reason than that he isn't on earth in a physical form that we can wander around after. We may fast, but when Christ was on earth he said to feast becuase the time he was here was special.

There is no doubt that there is a call to give all of ourselves to Christ, but without a physical Christ to follow we have to do it in our own capacity. Some might literely sell all, give all, and go live in a mission\outreach like Ole Anthony. For myself my home is God given, and a nessisary place for raising children and for outreach (as we even now have someone living with us to get established). The time may come when I sell all and go, but now I'm not falling short by not, rather I would be neglecting my duty to my family if I did.

Jerimiah prophesied a new law written on the heart rather than on the scroll. I think there is no disagreement here that this is the law of Christ, the covenent of Christs blood. To that end no one should expect (though we all know many seem too) the new law to be an encyclopedia of everything you may and may not do. Like you said TS, reason and learn.

*I'm on a compact keyboard that really throws off my typing, sorry bout that untill I get my main computer fixed.

Brother,

We should all put Christ as the first and foremost person in our lives no matter what, yet the point was not that he wants everyone to sell all they have and follow him, of course if that is what Christ wants of you then by all means follow the best that you can, the point is that God will ask each of us, in our own time, to do "one More thing".
For Abraham, his one more thing was, to either give his son over to God after God blessed him with Isaac. Mose's one more thing was is he willing to trust God and confront the Pharoah. Everyone in the bible was asked to do "one more thing" and each one was different from the next. It may be that he asks you to do decide for yourself something more than is written in the word. Something that scripture has not accounted for. To give you an example, genetic experiments. This kind of stuff was not going on in the time of Jesus or Moses, or any other time in human history, so it remains silent in scripture. As well as atomic energy, to make bombs or to power a city. The scientific experiments such as cloning and the like. All these things are silent in scripture. So we must each decide what God is telling us whether these things are right or wrong. Whether they will be pleasing to God or whether God frowns upon it, these are all just examples of what I am trying to get across. We as individuals may be confronted with a test of our own to where we are asked to do "one more thing". The man in scripture that I used, his was material possessions. HIS test was to see if he could give all that up and follow Christ and he failed. Your test may be different, my test may be different. God test us all with "one more thing". What "one more thing" will it be? Only God knows, the point is will you be ready to face the test when the time comes.

God Bless

To give you an example, genetic experiments. This kind of stuff was not going on in the time of Jesus or Moses, or any other time in human history, so it remains silent in scripture.

FWIW, TF'67, there are a few of us here who would question that assertion.

"And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man."

Many things in Genesis (from the Nephalim and giants onward) sounds like a warning against the kind of genetic manipulation that is again threatening today.

Blessings,
Mark

Mark C said:
FWIW, TF'67, there are a few of us here who would question that assertion.

I do not know what FWIW is.

Mark C said:
"And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man."

Many things in Genesis (from the Nephalim and giants onward) sounds like a warning against the kind of genetic manipulation that is again threatening today.

Blessings,
Mark

Let me clarify that the examples I gave was to illustrate the lesson of "one more thing", and please do not go to far from the current discussion at hand. The whole point of this is I want people to look at what God is gonna test them personally on, not start other discussions on other points here. To see if we can grow beyond what we are, to make ourselves better in the Lord. Because I know the Lord will test and ask each of us to do exactly that. We may not know when or where that will happen, but I believe he wants more from us than what we allow for ourselves. If there are those that have examples of where God asked them to do "one more thing" in their lives, please share them here.

God Bless

I had to do the ‘one more thing’. God spoke to me in the midst of the most successful time in my plastic surgery career in America to give up the very lucrative practice that I had spent over 30 years of my life preparing for and building up, sell my stuff and move to South Africa. I did it in early 2006 and still do not know the fullness of why He wanted me to do it. However, I will tell you this; I had walked in the flesh most of those earlier years, doing it ‘my way’. This had caused me to have two failed marriages and be deep in debt. I was just, by the grace of God, getting my life on track, when in the midst of God building an awesome work in the United States in our home church, He told us to leave. Some of the people were supposed to come with us, but none did in the end. At His direction, we sold our house and most of our belongings, got completely out of debt just before the housing bubble burst. We had enough money left over to get set up in South Africa and start a work here. Though I still teach plastic surgery part time, I make less per hour than I used to pay my office help. However, we lack no good thing and have no debt to Babylon. My life is so much ‘richer’, not only in a material sense but in the lack of stress, that I cannot begin to tell you how great it is. I have done more for God here than I ever dreamed was possible and have received so much revelation from God as a result of my obedience that it is incredible.

Having said that... I would like to comment on the concept that the scripture is 'silent' on the request that Jesus made to the rich man. I believe that it speaks very clearly about His request. Jesus was trying to bring the man to a state of perfection, which can only be achieved ‘in Christ’. I call it the ‘life in Christ’. This is what Jesus was offering the man. However, in what I call 'the path to perfection', (Matthew chapters 5-7), Jesus tells us that we cannot serve God and money. If we want to be perfect, then we need to dedicate ALL that we have to the Lord. I did this a couple of years before God brought me to South Africa. I had read of a man who was a very successful businessman in the mid-1900’s. He came to a place in his live through dedicating more and more to God to the point that he gave 90% of his income to the Lord and lived on 10%. From that 10% he had a very wonderful lifestyle, large houses, private jet, etc. I wanted to do that. By the time I was giving about 30% to the Lord and was thinking how to get to the 90%, God spoke to me. He said why not give it ALL. So, I thought, ‘why not?’ I then prayed and said to God, ‘okay, I from now on, I dedicate ALL that I have and will earn to you.’ Wherein He immediately replied, “What is Mine is yours.” In this I finally understood what it was that God was trying to get the rich man to do...seek FIRST the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these other things will be added. Now every time that I have an increase in finances, I tell God it is all His and to tell me what to do with it. And He does. I do not turn it over to someone else who does not obey God. I oversee its use, but I pray for Him to give me the wisdom to use it as He wills and He is faithful to do so. As I say in my book on perfection, I believe that anyone who has reached that place, (which I have not yet) will dedicate ALL they have to the Lord. The Bible says that whatever we sow is what we shall reap. Therefore, I would submit that the Bible is NOT silent on this issue. Further, Joyce Meyer has said that she believes that Jesus was offering this man, (who was obviously wise with money since he was rich) Judas’ job as treasurer for the apostles. If he had actually done what Jesus requested, then he would have reaped a multiplied reward, both in this life and the next, (Mark 10:29-30). However, in the end he loved money more than he loved God. This is the case for most of the people on the planet. However, I am living proof that if you obey God in the area of finance, He will see to it that you are well cared for.

Be blessed,

Dr. Ray

Mark C said:
FWIW: "For what it's worth..."

Thank you, i am still unfamiliar with all the computer lingo.

When I talk of personal things God asks of each of us, a personal example for myself is, I have been a smoker for over 20 years. Up to about two packs a day. Well I have come to the conclusion that God wants me to quit, so I have. It is the hardest thing so far that I have had to do. Slowly but surely I will quit. A test to see if i can pass muster and actually kick the habit so to speak.

God Bless

TS,
I think we're pretty much on the same page here.

Ray,
Always a good testimony.

Mark,
Pre-flood things can be very interesting pursuits. Even some post flood things like Babyl. That project sounds ridiculus to people today, but I'd bet it much less ridiculues and much more serious than some tower to the sky.

...I have been a smoker for over 20 years. Up to about two packs a day. Well I have come to the conclusion that God wants me to quit, so I have. It is the hardest thing so far that I have had to do. Slowly but surely I will quit...
-- truthfinder1967

My wife B was a smoker when we met. It was a literal spiritual barometer and indicator of some of the evil done to her as a child. She often referred literally to the sense that Satan and his minions were "choking" her, to prevent her from breathing. I have long noted that each time she has allowed rebellion back in, the addiction resurfaced. She began smoking in earnest when she broke our Covenant of marriage and departed (temporarily, I continue to pray) our house. I know that when she accepts God's healing in other areas that the spirit of addiction will be broken as well.

May God guide you and bless you in your efforts.

Mark

Back