• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Our Creator's Name

MarvelousMarvin

Real Person
Male
There seems to be a movement within the Biblical Families community to use "YHWH" and "Yeshua" (or variants thereof) rather than "God," "Lord," and "Jesus" (or variants of those) when referring to our Creator and His Only Begotten Son.

I was recently asked my opinion about this trend. Here it is, in brief.

The word "YHWH" is technically called "The Tetragrammaton," from the Greek word meaning "a word that has four letters." In ancient Hebrew, the language was written without vowels, and so "YHWH," the Hebrew name of our Creator, was written using the Hebrew letters yod-hey-vav-hey. (But right-to-left <--HVHW<-- rather than left-to-right as in English.) It is thought to mean "I AM THAT I AM," the Name that He gave when Moses, at the burning, asked who he should say sent him. (See Exodus chapter 3.) It is most commonly pronounced something like "Yaw-Way."

Yeshua (variant spellings: Yeshuah, Yeshu'ah) is a transliteration of the Hebrew name that means "Salvation." It became the English-language "Jesus" by a process of translation and transliteration to/through Greek and Latin.

I have several friends who are not of Anglo ancestry, and whose names are not English. For example, Juan is one of my brothers in the Lord. While it would be entirely proper to call him "John" when speaking English, I call him "Juan" since that is his "real" name in his native tongue.

It is not at all wrong to call our Creator by the English translation (or transliteration) of His various Names. One could argue that it might be more respectful to use His Hebrew Names. But -- what is His "native" tongue? Hebrew? Or all human tongues combined? Or some "heavenly language" unknown to man? Or all of the above?

The danger I see in insisting on using only His Hebrew Names is that we will become legalistic about it. And that is a disturbing trend I have seen within the Biblical Families community, becoming legalistic. (This might step on a few toes, but needs to be said - legalism is another manifestation of pride.) It is sometimes called by the euphamism "Torah Observant." Please do not think that "Torah Observant" always equates to "legalistic." But just as the world has hijacked the word "marriage," the legalists within the Body of Christ can easily hijack the phrase "Torah Observant." And remember, before the world hijacked the word "marriage," the Church redefined it to fit the pagan Greco-Roman traditions that were adopted and wrongly called "christian."

The Torah has NOT been done away with. (Which of the 10 Commandments would you be willing to repeal? Number seven...?) But there is a right way and a wrong way to live by the God's Laws. The Pharisees did it wrong, Jesus did it right. We need to get back to the Bible, not just substitute a different set of man's rules for the man-made traditions that most of the Church thinks are found in Scripture but are not. (And this might be the subject of a future article.)

What matters most is the attitude of a person's heart, not the language used when calling on the name of our Creator - be it English, Spanish, French, German, ..., Greek, or Hebrew. He understands all languages!

So, sometimes, you will see PolyDoc writing about "YHWH," "Yeshua," etc., and sometimes, "God," "Jesus," etc. Both are proper, and both are acceptable to our Creator as long as the attitude of the person's heart is right.

In reality, our Creator has many Names recorded in Scripture. For more information about His Names, see <http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Names_of_G-d/Yeshua/yeshua.html>

Personally, I respond to "Cecil", "Cec" (though it makes me look around for my sidekick "de sist-ah" [cease and desist :lol: ] ), "Robert", "Bobby", "Mr Wiedemann", under some circumstances "Mr "Woods", "Daddy", "Grandpa", "Honey", "Honeydear", "Sweetheart", "Darling", "Mister", "Dude", "Mr Pug", "Sir BumbleBerry", a new private name that is growing on me, "Scamper", on rare occasions "my lord", "Lee Sa Do" (Korean), "Yi Shu Dao" (Chinese), "Yo!", and others which I have undoubtedly missed.

Hmmm. I do try not to respond when referred to via a pejorative ... ;)

If I am this unconcerned about the exact name by which I am called, so long as clear communication takes place, it occurs to me that God, who knows all, might just possibly feel the same way. He knows when He is being called upon. So do demons. They tremble! And flee! :D

If my brother (anyone) feels bound to make an issue of it, let him be convinced in his own mind. I'll try to accommodate him for the sake of harmonious communication in fellowship. But try as I might, and I have over several years, I can't quite "see" why the fuss!

"Honeydear" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: wrote:
But try as I might, I can't quite "see" why the fuss!
Just a case of going overboard on being "proper," IMHO. But that can lead to pride if one is not careful...

...as I said, the attitude of one's heart is more important than whatever human language we might use when calling on the Name of Him Who has the Name above all Names.

"The Man Upstairs" (and its variants) might be a stretch since it's not found in Scripture. (But, then, the words "Trinity," "Triune," and other similar terms are not found in Scripture, either...) Again, it's the attitude of a person's heart! Personally, I don't use that particular "Name," but can not object if someone else does, since He did become a Man approximately 2,000 years ago, and He is certainly "upstairs." But that is a very informal way to refer to Him that some straight-laced people might say is disrespectful.

PS-

I know people who claim to be offended by the re-writing of the words of hymns and Christian songs in order to be funny (as I once did with a couple of songs), and some who claim to be offended by singing "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "House of the Rising Sun." How much more would they be offended by what they think are "improper" names for our Creator...?

All things are ready, come to the feast.
Look how our pastor loves to eat.....
In the sweet (gimme some meat)
Bye-and-bye (pass the pie)
We shall eat on that beautiful shore (gimme some more)...

PolyDoc said:
"Honeydear" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: wrote:

Personal funny story of no particular significance ...

In the early 80s I tended to get so absorbed tasks that I wouldn't even hear my name being called. My wife, however, discovered that for some strange reason, I ALWAYS responded to the above endearment.

One day I was busy solving the world's problems back in the computer room of a busy credit union. My wife called. (Pre-cell phone days, of course.) Had me paged. Repeatedly. No response. Finally said, "Try paging 'Honeydear'."

An embarrassed teller picked up the phone and whispered, "Honeydear, your wife is on line 3."

I immediately picked up the phone!

PolyDoc said:
I know people who claim to be offended ... How much more would they be offended by what they think are "improper" names for our Creator...?

Hunh! Guess they don't wanna be called, "Yo! Dude!" *shrug* :shock:

Hunh! Guess they don't wanna be called, "Yo! Dude!"
Guess not.

Call me anything except late for dinner! :lol:

Had a conversation with an elderly missionary lady at lunch today. (My wife's best friend.) She agrees with me. God most likely doesn't care what language we use when we call on His name; after all, she reminded me, He is the author of all human language! (Remember the Tower of Babel?) And, as she pointed out, unless we are fluent in Hebrew, we will probably mispronounce His Hebrew names anyway.

She speaks several languages fluently, including Navajo, in addition to her native German. In fact, her English is better than mine, and her Navajo is better than all but the most highly-educated native Navajo speakers. She was a consultant for the group that translated the Bible to Navajo.

i quite consistantly call my savior Yeshua. i prefer that particular name because it is my understanding that that was the way that He was addressed by those close to Him. to me it is more personal this way.
i hope that no one has misunderstood my intention as legalism.

as far as the name of my Creator, i use many of His titles, including writing God as G-d in an attempt to honour Him. maybe that is seen as legalism by some?

CecilW said:
... I am this unconcerned about the exact name by which I am called, so long as clear communication takes place

Robert uses a variation of this statement when he wants to make up his own word or spelling. It drives me crazy!!! I'm pretty sure he got the brilliant excuse from you :)

Katie

sola scriptura said:
Robert uses a variation of this statement when he wants to make up his own word or spelling. It drives me crazy!!! I'm pretty sure he got the brilliant excuse from you :) Katie

""Incontheivable!" -- The Princess Bride

He clearly got it from Sir BumbleBerry, the little Scamp!

The Father, since He is Almighty God, is not limited to one name. He has many names based upon His function, office, and aspect of His personality. Here are just a few:

EL, ELOAH: God "mighty, strong, prominent" (Genesis 7:1; Isaiah 9:6) – etymologically, El appears to mean “power,” as in “I have the power to harm you” (Genesis 31:29). El is associated with other qualities, such as integrity (Numbers 23:19), jealousy (Deuteronomy 5:9), and compassion (Nehemiah 9:31), but the root idea of might remains.

ELOHIM: God “Creator, Mighty and Strong” (Genesis 17:7; Jeremiah 31:33) – the plural form of Eloah, which accommodates the doctrine of the Trinity. From the Bible’s first sentence, the superlative nature of God’s power is evident as God (Elohim) speaks the world into existence (Genesis 1:1).

EL SHADDAI: “God Almighty,” “The Mighty One of Jacob” (Genesis 49:24; Psalm 132:2,5) – speaks to God’s ultimate power over all.

ADONAI: “Lord” (Genesis 15:2; Judges 6:15) – used in place of YHWH, which was thought by the Jews to be too sacred to be uttered by sinful men. In the Old Testament, YHWH is more often used in God’s dealings with His people, while Adonai is used more when He deals with the Gentiles.

YHWH / YAHWEH / JEHOVAH: “LORD” (Deuteronomy 6:4; Daniel 9:14) – strictly speaking, the only proper name for God. Translated in English Bibles “LORD” (all capitals) to distinguish it from Adonai, “Lord.” The revelation of the name is first given to Moses “I Am who I Am” (Exodus 3:14). This name specifies an immediacy, a presence. Yahweh is present, accessible, near to those who call on Him for deliverance (Psalm 107:13), forgiveness (Psalm 25:11) and guidance (Psalm 31:3).

YAHWEH-JIREH: "The Lord Will Provide" (Genesis 22:14) – the name memorialized by Abraham when God provided the ram to be sacrificed in place of Isaac.

YAHWEH-RAPHA: "The Lord Who Heals" (Exodus 15:26) – “I am Jehovah who heals you” both in body and soul. In body, by preserving from and curing diseases, and in soul, by pardoning iniquities.

YAHWEH-NISSI: "The Lord Our Banner" (Exodus 17:15), where banner is understood to be a rallying place. This name commemorates the desert victory over the Amalekites in Exodus 17.

YAHWEH-M'KADDESH: "The Lord Who Sanctifies, Makes Holy" (Leviticus 20:8; Ezekiel 37:28) – God makes it clear that He alone, not the law, can cleanse His people and make them holy.

YAHWEH-SHALOM: "The Lord Our Peace" (Judges 6:24) – the name given by Gideon to the altar he built after the Angel of the Lord assured him he would not die as he thought he would after seeing Him.

YAHWEH-ELOHIM: "LORD God" (Genesis 2:4; Psalm 59:5) – a combination of God’s unique name YHWH and the generic “Lord,” signifying that He is the Lord of Lords.

YAHWEH-TSIDKENU: "The Lord Our Righteousness” (Jeremiah 33:16) – As with YHWH-M’Kaddesh, it is God alone who provides righteousness to man, ultimately in the person of His Son, Jesus Christ, who became sin for us “that we might become the Righteousness of God in Him” (2 Corinthians 5:21).

YAHWEH-ROHI: "The Lord Our Shepherd" (Psalm 23:1) – After David pondered his relationship as a shepherd to his sheep, he realized that was exactly the relationship God had with him, and so he declares, “Yahweh-Rohi is my Shepherd. I shall not want” (Psalm 23:1).

YAHWEH-SHAMMAH: "The Lord Is There” (Ezekiel 48:35) – the name ascribed to Jerusalem and the Temple there, indicating that the once-departed glory of the Lord (Ezekiel 8—11) had returned (Ezekiel 44:1-4).

YAHWEH-SABAOTH: "The Lord of Hosts" (Isaiah 1:24; Psalm 46:7) – Hosts means “hordes,” both of angels and of men. He is Lord of the host of heaven and of the inhabitants of the earth, of Jews and Gentiles, of rich and poor, master and slave. The name is expressive of the majesty, power, and authority of God and shows that He is able to accomplish what He determines to do.

EL ELYON: “Most High" (Deuteronomy 26:19) – derived from the Hebrew root for “go up” or “ascend,” so the implication is of that which is the very highest. El Elyon denotes exaltation and speaks of absolute right to lordship.

EL ROI: "God of Seeing" (Genesis 16:13) – the name ascribed to God by Hagar, alone and desperate in the wilderness after being driven out by Sarah (Genesis 16:1-14). When Hagar met the Angel of the Lord, she realized she had seen God Himself in a theophany. She also realized that El Roi saw her in her distress and testified that He is a God who lives and sees all.

EL-OLAM: "Everlasting God" (Psalm 90:1-3) – God’s nature is without beginning or end, free from all constraints of time, and He contains within Himself the very cause of time itself. “From everlasting to everlasting, You are God.”

EL-GIBHOR: “Mighty God” (Isaiah 9:6) – the name describing the Messiah, Christ Jesus, in this prophetic portion of Isaiah. As a powerful and mighty warrior, the Messiah, the Mighty God, will accomplish the destruction of God’s enemies and rule with a rod of iron (Revelation 19:15).

Brother George, et al,

For most believers, the name of God is not that big an issue. However, there are some that would teach that using any name other than the 'approved' YHVH or Yahashua would be a salvation or at least a character issue. Those that hold to this view have fallen into the Sacred Name error.

Many Sacred Name adherents believe the following:

THE ORIGINAL PRONUNCIATION OF THE TETRAGRAMMATON CAN BE DETERMINED WITH ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY.

Many sacred name teachers believe and very vocally teach that unless one uses the Hebrew name and only the Hebrew name for God, he or she will be eternally damned. It should be noted that not all sacred name teachers are so dogmatic.
While this exclusive view is taken by most Sacred Name teachers, they themselves do not know the original Hebrew pronunciation of God's name. They admit as much by the variety of names used within the movement and by individuals repeatedly changing the name they hold sacred.
By some sacred name people, our Creator is called Yah Veh, Yahh, Yahweh, Iahueh, Yahwah, and Yaohu. By others he is spoken of as Yahuwah, Yahuah, and more than a score of even less likely names.
Jesus is called Yahshua by most sacred name folks. But, more and more are beginning to use Yahushua. By some he is called Yasha, by some Yeshua, by some Yaohushua, by some Y'shua, by some Iahushua, by others Yehoshua, YAHVAHSHUA, and even Yhwhhoshua.

THE BIBLE, AS WE HAVE IT, IS A CORRUPTED DOCUMENT AND SACRED NAME TEACHERS ARE ABLE TO REPAIR IT.

A Bible revision made by any religious group is certainly one of the more interesting aspects for study of that movement.
Mormons have their Holy Scriptures, Inspired Version made by Joseph Smith. Jehovah's Witnesses have The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures, a Watch Tower publication.
That people within the sacred name movement, in spite of its small size, have made nearly a dozen Bible revisions is cause for an especially deep concern. Perhaps the concern is more an inverse awe.....
What mental processes have their leaders gone through as they came to the point of willingness to make their own bible? Is their teaching sufficiently different that it cannot be found in the more conventional Bible translations?
Have they concluded that they are already isolated from other groups to such an extent that the stigma attached to revising their own Bible will not isolate them further? Is the purpose perhaps to exacerbate such isolation? How have they come to believe that God has singled them out to give to the world the corrected Word of God?

THE NEW TESTAMENT WAS ORIGINALLY WRITTEN IN HEBREW

One of the most absurd of the claims made by sacred name movement teachers is that the complete New Testament was originally written in the Hebrew language. Nothing could be further from the truth.
This claim is made without so much as a shred of empirical evidence. Even so, such an untenable position is thrust upon these teachers as necessary to support the primary doctrine of the movement.
In truth, the New Testament was originally written in Greek. Paul, Peter, James, John, Luke, and others wrote the name of our Savior in a language not Hebrew. If these men were permitted, inspired even, to write the name in Greek, we are also permitted to write and speak the name in our native language.
The historical fact is this: the New Testament was written in Greek. Therefore, the doctrine of the Hebrew only sacred name is made invalid. This conclusion will be reached by even the most casual thinker who has the facts at his or her disposal.
Therefore, sacred name movement teachers are compelled to fight a futile battle against an obviously original Greek New Testament.

JESUS SPOKE THE NAME YAHWEH

One of the keystone doctrines of the sacred name movement is that our Savior preached and taught the name Yahweh to the Jewish people of his time. One or another sacred name group may say Jesus taught one or another of the numerous possible English transliterations of hwhy. Numbers of sacred name people believe the primary mission of Jesus was bringing the name Yahweh to the world.
It is supposed that the Messiah spoke this name often to the Jewish people, taught the importance and pronunciation of this name to his followers, said it and read it when he referred to the Old Testament, and used this name when he addressed God. Sacred name teachers boldly assert that Jesus was arrested, tried, and killed because he said the name Yahweh.
Are these claims true? Did Jesus ever once utter the name Yahweh? Sacred name teachers gamely admit that according to what is written in the Holy Scriptures he did not. However, they believe the Scriptures are wrong.

THE NAME JESUS ETYMOLOGICALLY DERIVES FROM THE NAME ZEUS.

A long held and regularly used false teaching among more than half of sacred name movement assemblies and individuals is that the Greek word for Jesus means son of Zeus or has a meaning otherwise connected with or derived from the word Zeus. There are a number of variations on this fanciful teaching, a favorite being that Jesus means Healing Zeus.
It is especially sad to see sacred name converts, who have no idea of the source of their information, promoting this error.
In spite of the fact that the teaching cannot be backed by research, many in the movement believe it simply has to be true.
The teaching is purely and simply a lie, a fabrication. This falsehood began in the teachings of some of the pioneer preachers of the movement. It continues among preachers and teachers who are movers and shakers in the movement today.
This doctrine and its continued propagation epitomize other false teachings of the sacred name movement. Even after it has time and again been proven false, many still cling to it.

Doc wrote, about the sacred name people:
However, they believe the Scriptures are wrong.
If that is true, then:
1 Corinthians 15:19b NKJV ...we are of all men the most pitiable.
How would we determine how to "correct" God's Word? If those nincompoops ( :eek: did I just call them that?) are right, then it would take another direct revelation, like the original human authors received when they put God's Word in writing. And if the original authors got it wrong, how could we know that a new revelation would be transmitted with any better accuracy by the humans entrusted with it?

PolyDoc believes in the verbal inspiration of God's Word, meaning that the very words used by Moses, Isaiah, Matthew, Paul, and the other human authors of the Bible were inspired. Most liberal theologians either don't believe in the inspiration of Scriptures at all, or they believe that maybe God inspired the ideas and the human authors put it in their own words.

The only argument we can possibly have is with translations from the original languages to various languages used now. (Such as KJV, God's Word, NKJV, etc.) And that's why we have Greek scholars like Dr. Allen. (Although some might quibble over differing manuscript versions, especially for the NT.) But everything we need to know in order to be born again and live a life pleasing to God can be found in the translations that we now have.

Textual studies show that Matthew was possibly written in Hebrew, and the original Hebrew was lost some time after it had been translated to Greek - but that is uncertain. With that slightly-possible exception, the NT was originally written in Greek.

Back