• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Our Will vs. GOD’s will

The concept of our will versus God's will is a deep and complex topic that has been pondered by theologians, philosophers, and individuals for centuries. Our will refers to our own desires, choices, and actions, while God's will is often seen as a divine plan or purpose for all things.
Many believe that aligning our will with God's will leads to a sense of fulfillment, peace, and harmony. It involves surrendering our own desires and trusting in a higher power or divine guidance. This can be challenging, as it requires letting go of control and accepting outcomes that may not align with our personal preferences.
Ultimately, the relationship between our will and God's will is a personal journey that varies for each individual. Some see them as conflicting forces, while others view them as complementary aspects of life. Finding a balance between the two can lead to a sense of purpose, connection, and spiritual growth.
Expanding on the concept of aligning our will with God's will:
  • **Importance of Alignment**: Aligning our will with God's will is often seen as a path to fulfillment and inner peace. It signifies a deep trust in a higher power and a belief that there is a greater purpose guiding our lives.
  • **Challenges in Alignment**:
    • Surrendering Control: Letting go of our own desires and relinquishing control over outcomes can be difficult. It requires a level of faith and acceptance that may go against our natural inclination to plan and manipulate our circumstances.
    • Accepting Unfavorable Outcomes: Aligning our will with God's will means being open to outcomes that may not align with our personal preferences. This can be emotionally challenging, especially when faced with adversity or hardship.
  • **Personal Growth and Spiritual Development**:
    • Through the process of aligning our will with God's will, individuals often experience personal growth and spiritual development. This journey can lead to a deeper understanding of oneself, one's beliefs, and the world around them.
    • Finding Balance: Striking a balance between our will and God's will is a continuous process. It involves self-reflection, prayer, and a willingness to listen to the guidance of a higher power. This balance can bring a sense of purpose and connection to something greater than oneself.

Thanks for reading!!

In “striking the balance”, my constant struggle is to remember to ask for His will first in every situation.
Running on automatic pilot is a rough default to overcome.

Ultimately, the relationship between our will and God's will is a personal journey that varies for each individual. Some see them as conflicting forces, while others view them as complementary aspects of life. Finding a balance between the two can lead to a sense of purpose, connection, and spiritual growth.
Learning about Biblical marriage certainly makes us evaluate what HIs will is for our lives on many levels. :)

Welcome @Marketingmom, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this subject. I encourage you to post an introduction in the Introduction section so we can all welcome you and get to know a little about you. We also have a Tuesday night Ladies Chat/Video chat if you are interested in meeting some of the ladies on this site. You can find all the information about it in the Ladies Only section.

In considering this topic, I believe it’s important to make a distinction between God’s preceptive will (i.e., His precepts or commands, which may be disobeyed) and His sovereign will (i.e., His decrees and providential control over every detail of history, which can never be thwarted). We can all know what God’s revealed will for our lives is (since He has revealed and preserved it in His word), but we cannot know what God’s sovereign will for our lives is (since He has not revealed it in His word, and it remains hidden within His own mind). For instance, it was God’s revealed will for Pharaoh to “let my people go,” but it was God’s sovereign will (hidden behind the scenes, so to speak) to “harden Pharaoh’s heart” so that he would not let His people go and be severely judged for it (Exodus 4:21-23; 7:2-3 ). This is a prime example of God sovereignly “willing” something to be done in someone’s life that is the direct opposite of what He had perceptively “willed” to be done by His command.

Of course, in this unique case, God saw fit to “reveal” what His sovereign/hidden will towards Pharaoh was in Scripture, so we now know after the fact that it was carried out in his life and in the judgements upon Egypt. Nevertheless, it remains that we are for the most part unaware of God’s sovereign will for our lives prospectively (e.g., whom we should marry, will our business be successful, when we will die, etc.). We simply have to trust in God’s general promise that He has revealed in Scripture for His people who believe the gospel and love Him: “And we know that for those who love God all things [i.e., whether externally good or bad] work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28).

R.C. Sproul wrote a very good and concise article explaining the distinctions that one must keep in mind when considering “God’s will” here: https://www.monergism.com/discerning-god’s-will-three-wills-god

Back