• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Overcoming Objections To Plural Marriage: Topic 3

Doc

Real Person
1 Thessalonians 5:22 tells us that as Christians we should abstain from all appearance of evil. Since much of church history, most major Christian fellowship groups, and even most of the secular world considers polygamy to be wrong, then as Christians we should not participate. Therefore, even if there is nothing wrong Biblically with polygamy, the fact that it appears 'evil' means it should be avoided at all costs.

Responses?

Ah, the logic of the protest, it amazes me. The issue of "the appearance of evil" isn't about what may appear to be evil. That would put us at the mercy of every persons concience or personal preference. No one would be able to get out of bed in the morning because everything would be suspect. The scripture is really saying (if we look at the grammar) avoid even appearing to do that which (has been declared by God) is is evil. We must have an authorative voice declaring what is and is not evil. That voice is God.

Can't improve on that, John.

Thank you for this. I never looked into this scripture in that way.

This points out one main thing. One cannot even appear to go along with the evil doctrine of monogamy, or the marriage twisting of governments and churches. Shall we appear to go along with the system we know has been one of the worst evils in damaging some of the most important systems there are (family, women, children, men)?

That is a clear logical fallicy (appeal to popularity). That is the "Well everyone's doing it...so it must be right..." routine.

That really claifies things John, there are always doubts in my mind, about whether my marriage relationship is right in God's sight, but whenever the clear truth of the Word is spoken, it makes you free indeed. God Bless you,

In Christ

Back