• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Passover resources for children

FollowingHim2

Women's Ministry
Staff member
Real Person
Female
What do you use to teach your children about Passover?
I'm looking for something to incorporate into school in the week/s leading up to the event, not for the actual day. I have the bible, obviously, and there's some printouts I found online with things like word searches and crosswords etc. I'm just looking for something more substantial. I'd prefer something that I can use for all the children (ages 6 - 10, not concerned about the preschoolers yet), but even something for the older 2 children would be fine.

This is the first year we're celebrating Passover so I am interested in this too! We bought a little white stuffed lamb from Amazon and the girls have to take care of him. That's been a good picture of the spotless lamb already for them! We're going to watch The Prince of Egypt movie. I know you have are looking for more substantial ideas but those are two things I am doing so far ;)

I've debated even posting this but I have to point out that there are some very strict rules around Passover. We are expressly forbidden from eating the Passover if we don't meet certain criteria. A thorough reading of the texts would save someone from merely apeing what is a very important event.
You're welcome to bring that up in another thread. This thread is about any resources you have for teaching children.

I haven't yet, I am planning on looking into it further! From what I've seen it looks like good info for the kids! And for me ☺️ I am learning all this right along with them. It's weird I have been in church my whole life and didn't give Passover a second thought and didn't really know what it was really about!

I really enjoyed Prince of Egypt. I don't believe it was Disney, however.
Dreamworks I think, but they're all going to be doing it from a secular perspective. We might have to find this and show it to the children this year, it's sounding good.

How about purchase a lamb, bring it home, etc.?
We've done the lamb stuff before. The first year we did passover we chose a spotless lamb from the farm, brought it near the house for a week, and then cooked it on a spit. Samuel decided that we shouldn't be doing that anymore because Yeshua was the lamb and we don't need to sacrifice Him again, essentially. So we don't do lamb anymore, and to make it easier we just have a vegetarian meal on Passover.

Dreamworks I think, but they're all going to be doing it from a secular perspective. We might have to find this and show it to the children this year, it's sounding good.

We've done the lamb stuff before. The first year we did passover we chose a spotless lamb from the farm, brought it near the house for a week, and then cooked it on a spit. Samuel decided that we shouldn't be doing that anymore because Yeshua was the lamb and we don't need to sacrifice Him again, essentially. So we don't do lamb anymore, and to make it easier we just have a vegetarian meal on Passover.
I hear ya.. the command is for a lamb that reminds us of THE Lamb... 'course, I say that having only purchased lamb from the market prior to Pesach.

Funny story, last year we were in Jerusalem for Pesach in a house with about 18 peeps and some guests for the Seder. Europeans, Americans and a Russian couple, all Messianic. Between us, there was debate about what meat to serve, some convicted no lamb, others convicted to have lamb...

So, @Judgemenot decided to go downstairs and ask our Jewish host what meat his family had. He laughed and said, 'Everybody brings their own meat... some want beef, some say lamb or chicken...' I guess our debates are not much different than theirs. We had three meat options and a wonderful peaceful Seder dinner!

Flying out in two days to be back over there for Pesach. Wow...

So, @Judgemenot decided to go downstairs and ask our Jewish host what meat his family had. He laughed and said, 'Everybody brings their own meat... some want beef, some say lamb or chicken..
This made me laugh! Everyone has a different opinion, but it's good to put aside those differences as much as you can to fellowship together.

I can understand that. There is a difference, however, between a slaughtering and a sacrifice. Any meat we eat is slaughtered. The Torah makes a distinction and tells us that the animals we slaughter to eat, we may, but we must pur out the blood on the ground like water. It is covered with earth. With a sacrifice, the blood is brought to an altar/ sprinkled on the Ark, etc.
Whenever we slaughter meat, any time of the year, we make sure that no one present is under the misunderstanding that it is a sacrifice, but we do thank the Almighty for the animal.

The wonderful thing about Passover, to me, in this regard, is to have the opportunity to have a lot of young men gathered together at the same time to learn the practical skills of processing an animal. It is rare that so many people are gathered together at the same time.

Man skills.

Back