• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Pat Robertson almost pro-polygamy, just can't quite make the jump...

FollowingHim

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
In these videos, Pat Robertson argues very strongly that, at least in the Old Testament, polygamy was not adultery, constituted true covenant marriage, fits with basic human physiology, was necessary in society, and even blessed by God (he actually quotes God's statement that He gave David multiple wives and would have given him more if that wasn't enough).

Then he asserts that Jesus defined marriage as being one man and one woman. But, he is still fairly consistent. In the second video, he is very clear that God did not change His mind. If it was not sin in the past, it is not sin today. Instead, he asserts that we have different instructions today, and only the culture has changed.

He is so close to having a fully consistent and Biblical perspective on this, he just can't quite make that final jump against his long-term cultural conditioning.

These videos are from "Right Wing Watch", so they were selectively cut out of the 700 club broadcasts and posted by a group that wishes to make fun of Pat Robertson. Ignore the source and just listen to what he actually says.
Best quote "...so that's what God says in the Word. So there's nothing wrong with it."

Last edited:
Then he asserts that Jesus defined marriage as being one man and one woman.

Partial credit? Marriage was ALWAYS 'defined' as a Covenant between a man and a woman. The implied fallacy is that a head of house can have only one such covenant. (EVERY example of such in Scripture - representing YHVH's headship - is of a "one-to-many" relationship: King, Father, Master, Creator, and yes, Husband.)

Where he is inconsistent is character and history. The Torah Made Flesh didn't change anything in His Word, as He made clear. And there were people who followed Him for centuries that had more than one wife. (The Roman church didn't change those rules for almost 900 years.)

I can dig him inspite of his old school-ness... Much like my gramps, he's a product of his "seminary" generation, yet still manages to admit truths we younger bucks take a stronger stance on!

I remember the first time I discussed Genesis 6 with my gramps and some Enochian theory to go with... watching him begin to squirm in his rocking chair... epic! Lol

I love my grandfather West... a good man of God who loves Pat's ministry dearly!

Looks like he so wants to just come out and proclaim the truth, but churchianity just gets in the way. Funny, though, cuz he never seems to shy away from controversy on other topics.

Back