• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Patriarchy? (Or: My Daughter Is NOT My Helpmeet)

I never saw a good definition of abuse in the link. Lots of uses of the word and of course, we must decry abuse in any form!?
It's hard to comment when I'm not sure what his definition of abuse is.

I was glad to see his disclaimer, especially after reading the article. As we are all aware, patriarchy is a practice almost everyone who regularly visits here subscribes to, at least in theory. And while I don't personally know anyone on this forum, I would find it hard to believe that anyone here is using patriarchy as a tool of abuse.

I find articles like this to be troublesome, and sadly it mirrors the way the modern media reports news (One example of something hanous or appearing to be hanous is found, it fits the script of what I want folks to believe, I blow it out of proportion and tie everyone together who has a common bond with the root cause of this hanous event, and all the sheep in the world fall in line with my thinking because they are too lazy to look up the facts themselves.)

As @Verifyveritas76 said, the link never even defines what "abuse" is. One can assume, but assuming is dangerous. That discredits the article even more in my eyes, as abuse to some might be spanking, and abuse to others might be any punishment at all. Sadly, I know examples of both of these. One family I used to occasionally see believed in no punishment at all for their children. Last I heard, their children were adult hellions.

To build a bit on @Sonny Chancelor last two sentences: someone can commit terrible acts (i.e., sexual abuse) in the name of biblical patriarchy, but that is no more biblical patriarchy than attending church makes someone a believer. It could be called patriarchy, but it cannot be rightly called patriarchy as designed by God.

@aeineo. Your reply is perfect. Ditto.

I find that abuse is one of those blanket words that people like to use to vilify another and generate support at the same time while offensively creating an inherent defense against those who would take issue with their castigation of another.

Abuse used in the secular world is typically defined by the Duluth Model, especially in regards to Law Enforcement or the Courts. It is how social workers, law enforcement and public school teachers are taught to identify, respond to and correct abuse. To summarize Duluth to its most basic terms: Simply being a male is abuse and must be stopped by any means necessary.

It started as an experiment in the 80's and became increasingly popular as it was extremely feminist in nature. Its effectiveness in correcting or prohibiting abuse, however, has been debated ever since its inception which obviously hasn't quelled its adoption into society and law. Many studies into effectiveness reported little to no improvement, but then are argued to be inconclusive because the groups interviewed either quit the program or were statistically too small. Doesn't stop them from declaring the project a success.

My thoughts are that of course Patriarchy can be abusive. But so can anything else. It doesn't make it anymore righteous or unrighteous.
Agreed. Anything an be used to support or abuse someone. Words, guns, patriarchy, ideas. Nothing is inherently abusive by itself. It must be used in an abusive manner. That is the truth of abuse, but not what is publicly accepted as abuse.

Last edited:
Abuse depends much on the beholder, changes with society and times. When you have a patricide based society, being a male leader is abuse, something evil in their eyes. Is not by chance. Lucy hates patriarchal models. No oposition is tolerated. Just look at the court system.

Back